Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  140
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smeding S464 Exhaust 1.00 83 Billet Turbo?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Smeding S464 Exhaust 1.00 83 Billet Turbo?

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't had many updates lately.

I have been super busy, and I hope everyone is well.

So I haven't been working on my 2016 RAM 2500 lately or the past few months?

It's been sitting awhile while I work on my 1988 K1500 5.7 liter manual, plus it's winter, and thanks, Joe, for the diesel prices, haha.

I have been researching 2nd Gen swaps due to the problematic VGT and drive pressure.

I love my VGT turbo with the G56 and the exhaust brake, but I just like the simplicity of a 2nd Gen swap and reliability, plus the SOUND has got me lately.

So I called a few places and found that it's hard to get a complete kit nowadays, and I get that with all the EPA bulls**t.

So I ended up calling Smeding Diesel, and they were fantastic, especially with their turbos and Cummins knowledge.

I went with their S464 1.00 housing billet turbo and upgraded thrust bearing versus an S467.

I can't wait for the kit to arrive, even more so to install it.

But before I do the turbo kit, I will save up for ARP 625s, and a retune from DRD.

Anyone with this setup, please let me know about install tips and how well it performs and sounds.

Thank you all.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Smeding S464 Exhaust 1.00 83 Billet Turbo?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to hook up the 4-inch downpipe to my 5-inch exhaust?

I am trying to get everything lined up over time.

Not sure where to get a reducer or if it's obvious to get a four to five and then clamp or weld.

Thanks.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

https://www.amazon.com/MBRP-UA2001-E...s%2C200&sr=8-3

This is the one I got when doing my exhaust.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08169VCY7...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

That's the clamp; I welded the clamp in place for reassuring measures.

The clamp fully tightened would still shake off and bounce\rattle until I got home and pulled over.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks AK Bob, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08169VCY7...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

That's the clamp; I welded the clamp in place for reassuring measures.

The clamp fully tightened would still shake off and bounce\rattle until I got home and pulled over.
    Ok, excellent, thanks.

I felt everything would need to be welded primarily in that area.

I will do precisely what you did and get it welded.

Thanks again, and by the way, how did you like the S464 on stock fuel?

10. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Ok, excellent, thanks.

I felt everything would need to be welded primarily in that area.

I will do precisely what you did and get it welded.

Thanks again, and by the way, how did you like the S464 on stock fuel?
    I have the 60hp injectors from industrial injection with their 33% over CP3.

I did a lot all at once, so it would be hard to tell you what I noticed with each part.

FASS 165GPH lift pump, CP3, INJECTORS W\cross-over tubes, fuel rail plug, whole 2G swap with head studs and resurfaced head, MM3 complete kit, and a few weeks before that I did my 6" lift kit with the red head steering box with the support bracket.

When I bought my truck, it had 123k on it, so I wanted to start hitting the known problematic parts out of the way.

Additional fueling described from II would spool the turbo with no lag " probably a sales pitch" but I did it anyways.

Before hand, I had the VGT fleece cheetah. I liked it and it was spunkier than the stock turbo. I just kept hearing about the actuator always failing.

That is one of the reasons I made the swap, as well with a big drop with EGT'S with fueling.

Level 5 WOT I'll occasionally spike into the 1200's " if the converter is locked and slightly lugging."

Haven't had a single issue so far with the turbo.

Now that I've gotten use to the power, I want to go with the S467.

I just don't have the funds for bigger injectors to spool it.

Yeah, I could just swap out tips, but I feel if you're going to do it, do it correctly.

I would say the 464 is a perfect all-around turbo, towing, drivability, power and responsiveness.

Shortly after doing all of this, I snapped my input shaft in my converter.

5800 bucks later, I have a decent rig to toy around with that's reliable.

12. Thanks AK Bob, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I have the 60hp injectors from industrial injection with their 33% over CP3.

I did a lot all at once, so it would be hard to tell you what I noticed with each part.

FASS 165GPH lift pump, CP3, INJECTORS W\cross-over tubes, fuel rail plug, whole 2G swap with head studs and resurfaced head, MM3 complete kit, and a few weeks before that I did my 6" lift kit with the red head steering box with the support bracket.

When I bought my truck, it had 123k on it, so I wanted to start hitting the known problematic parts out of the way.

Additional fueling described from II would spool the turbo with no lag " probably a sales pitch" but I did it anyways.

Before hand, I had the VGT fleece cheetah. I liked it and it was spunkier than the stock turbo. I just kept hearing about the actuator always failing.

That is one of the reasons I made the swap, as well with a big drop with EGT'S with fueling.

Level 5 WOT I'll occasionally spike into the 1200's " if the converter is locked and slightly lugging."

Haven't had a single issue so far with the turbo.

Now that I've gotten use to the power, I want to go with the S467.

I just don't have the funds for bigger injectors to spool it.

Yeah, I could just swap out tips, but I feel if you're going to do it, do it correctly.

I would say the 464 is a perfect all-around turbo, towing, drivability, power and responsiveness.

Shortly after doing all of this, I snapped my input shaft in my converter.

5800 bucks later, I have a decent rig to toy around with that's reliable.
    Wow man yeah you have a ton more then me done to your truck. I am glad I went with the s464 after hearing everything especially being on stock fuel. As far as the VGT I like it especially the exhaust brake but honestly I also kept hearing about actuators failing and drive pressure and decided to eliminate more potential issues. The less electronics and restrictions the better. It's going to suck not putting the kit on right away till I get money for ARP studs and a retune. I think I saw DDP had 625s in stock.

14. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

They might still have some in stock.

@DDP

You'll enjoy the truck once all said and done, no doubt.

Last edited by Corkey; 01-21-2023 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spacing

16. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Wow man yeah you have a ton more than me done to your truck. I am glad I went with the s464 after hearing everything especially being on stock fuel. As far as the VGT I like it especially the exhaust brake but honestly I also kept hearing about actuators failing and drive pressure and decided to eliminate more potential issues. The less electronics and restrictions the better. It's going to suck not putting the kit on right away till I get money for ARP studs and a retune. I think I saw DDP had 625s in stock.
    Unfortunately 625’s are in very short supply. @DDP are out of stock.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...625-Head-Studs

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, rsl0311usmc liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Unfortunately 625’s are in very short supply. @DDP are out of stock.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...625-Head-Studs
    Ok thanks though. Gonna try and get then in a couple months or so

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast