Thanks Thanks:  54
Likes Likes:  140
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Smeding S464 Exhaust 1.00 83 Billet Turbo?

1. Top Of Page | #31

Re: Smeding S464 Exhaust 1.00 83 Billet Turbo?

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    That looks awesome man!! Thanks for the writeup.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    No problem. Thanks I appreciate it.

2. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Yeah, you won't find many people in the professional diesel performance industry that have good things to say about Smeding.

They chose to copy other parts, manifolds, intercoolers, etc., instead of doing any R&D of their own.

Their turbos blow up left and right since they use Chinese center cartridges for their turbos.

The only thing good I can say about them is they will send you a new turbo when you call them and tell them it’s blown up without too much hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not trying to take a shot at you here. But if you make a statement saying they use Chinese center cartridges can you provide proof so I can forward it to Smeding to get a response. After all if they claim USA made and you have the proof then it's false advertising and so on. Hate to say this also I came across a video the other day showing borg warner is now stamping made in China on some s400 turbos instead of usa.

4. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

As a matter of fact, for s**ts and giggles, here is the video.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

I took pictures of 2 Smeding turbos that came through my shop, where I measured bearing clearance on two new turbos from them; it was on the outer range of Borg specs new.

One was to replace a failed unit which failed again, wiped the bearing, and the wheel contacted the housing.

The other, as far as I know, is still in the truck.

If I can find the pictures, I will post them here.

If not well, you can say I can’t provide proof; therefore, I’m wrong.

I don’t care to get into a big drawn-out convo about their parts.

There are many accounts on Facebook and diesel forums of oil-leaking turbos, cracked intercooler welds, and cracked pipe welds.

The consensus is all the same Smeding quality.

I don’t know for sure where they were made at the time I had the turbos around 2018; they weren’t claimed to be made in the USA.

They were unmarked center cartridges, much like you find on eBay turbos.

If they are making them here now, good for them.

Yeah, Borg has been making turbos in China for a while; they have plants all over the globe; they also own the plants where they make the turbos in other countries.

They dont contract factories to make the parts.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

I took pictures of 2 Smeding turbos that came through my shop, where I measured bearing clearance on two new turbos from them; it was on the outer range of Borg specs new.

One was to replace a failed unit which failed again, wiped the bearing, and the wheel contacted the housing.

The other, as far as I know, is still in the truck.

If I can find the pictures, I will post them here.

If not well, you can say I can’t provide proof; therefore, I’m wrong.

I don’t care to get into a big drawn-out convo about their parts.

There are many accounts on Facebook and diesel forums of oil-leaking turbos, cracked intercooler welds, and cracked pipe welds.

The consensus is all the same Smeding quality.

I don’t know for sure where they were made at the time I had the turbos around 2018; they weren’t claimed to be made in the USA.

They were unmarked center cartridges, much like you find on eBay turbos.

If they are making them here now, good for them.

Yeah, Borg has been making turbos in China for a while; they have plants all over the globe; they also own the plants where they make the turbos in other countries.

They dont contract factories to make the parts.

Well believe it or not for as much negative I have heard about them the same goes for the amount of positive. I guess time will tell with mine. I have put at least 500 miles on it and got into it pretty good a few times and if it keeps doing what's its been doing for the long haul I will be extremely happy. There have been zero issues with broken welds, and oil leaks on mine. The only thing I can say negative is the fitment in some areas could be better. By the way I am one of those types that if I make a statement I will have proof to back it up. I am not stating your wrong as a matter of fact I would like to see those pictures or even the made in China stamp so to speak that you mentioned and are kinda now back tracking on and yes I guess blank cartridges mean made in China because that's what ebay does. Your right also there are tons of pictures I can find of any manufacturers failures on the internet with pretty much anything. Last I checked nothing is immune to failure. Any turbo can fail from a lack of oil whether it be a faulty oil pressure sensor, lack of pre lubing the turbo upon install, not being clocked properly, abuse especially on a bronze bearing and so on. Lets also mention tuning that plays a big roll also as we don't want to overspool any turbo. As for you seeing only two failures and one is probably fixed and still in the truck depending on how long the span was that you worked there I would say two failures and one fixed isn't a terrible failure rate. I mean wow I remember when I had my hellcat and blower bearings were failing left and right but not mine. Here is an example my 2018 power wagon with the 6.4 hemi with only 15k on it had a leaking headgasket and who would've thought that was possible. So does that mean they are all crap and will blow up no. It means sometimes you get a lemon other times you don't its with anything nowadays. By the way I will include proof of my 2018 power wagon head gasket leak for everyone's entertainment and no thats not a valve cover leak. One last thing here is two more examples now that I am thinking about it. Man we all better be scared driving our Ram cummins trucks because if you listen to everything and everyone on the internet your head gasket will blow if you don't have head studs and if you manage to survive that you better be prepared for your grid heater bolt to drop off in your motor and your VGT actuator to fail. Sorry that was three and I think my point is proven.

10. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

I hope your turbo lasts, bud.

I don’t care to continue this conversation any further.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

I don't care to continue this conversation any further.

Well, I hope so also, and if it doesn't, I will be the first to tell you and everyone.

I would also be scheduled a trip to Texas with mine.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

I don’t care to continue this conversation any further.

Hey man look no hard feelings and I am not trying to come off as a d**k. I just feel like I spent a whole bunch of money I didn't have only to feel like I stepped in cat s**t LOL. I want this truck to be reliable (hence the 2nd gen swap) and enjoyable and since everything I won't lie I feel like if you give it to much she's gonna blow up type mentality which sucks because I am afraid to enjoy it. I appreciate your input I am just frustrated hoping it doesn't blow. To be honest though I really have heard just as much good as bad. I really liked the fact it was usa made and that's honestly what got me.

16. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Hey man look no hard feelings and I am not trying to come off as a d**k. I just feel like I spent a whole bunch of money I didn't have only to feel like I stepped in cat s**t LOL. I want this truck to be reliable (hence the 2nd gen swap) and enjoyable and since everything I won't lie I feel like if you give it to much she's gonna blow up type mentality which sucks because I am afraid to enjoy it. I appreciate your input I am just frustrated hoping it doesn't blow. To be honest though I really have heard just as much good as bad. I really liked the fact it was usa made and that's honestly what got me.
    I don’t take offense to much LOL.

Honestly if it were me I’d beat the hell out it and enjoy the truck. If it’s gonna blow it’s gonna blow weather you take it easy or get on it. Turbos don’t require break in and don’t last any longer if you baby them. Just make sure there’s no boost leaks that’s how you over spin them there’s not a turbo out there that can withstand being over sped.

Sometimes I have a jaded view on things mainly because working on trucks for a living I mainly see the failures granted more with some brands than others. But they have to have products that last in order to stay in business.

As somewhat of a shop owner when I’m not working at my main job i can’t afford to put my name on something I don’t fully trust in and have it fail. One job can potentially cost me a month of progress. That’s why myself and a lot of others say we won’t use certain brands regardless of how many recent successes come from them.

I did some more searching on them today seems like once they opened up there new shop they started claiming made in USA. Hopefully the quality went up. If they took ownership and started making a better product I can respect that. I still don’t like that their manifolds and intercoolers look identical to other brands.

Good thing about them is they along with exotic head studs were the simplest to deal with when I needed something warrantied pretty much said okay where do we send the new turbo to.

18. Thanks watersupply189, rsl0311usmc, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, rsl0311usmc, AK Bob liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

I don’t take offense to much LOL.

Honestly if it were me I’d beat the hell out it and enjoy the truck. If it’s gonna blow it’s gonna blow weather you take it easy or get on it. Turbos don’t require break in and don’t last any longer if you baby them. Just make sure there’s no boost leaks that’s how you over spin them there’s not a turbo out there that can withstand being over sped.

Sometimes I have a jaded view on things mainly because working on trucks for a living I mainly see the failures granted more with some brands than others. But they have to have products that last in order to stay in business.

As somewhat of a shop owner when I’m not working at my main job i can’t afford to put my name on something I don’t fully trust in and have it fail. One job can potentially cost me a month of progress. That’s why myself and a lot of others say we won’t use certain brands regardless of how many recent successes come from them.

I did some more searching on them today seems like once they opened up there new shop they started claiming made in USA. Hopefully the quality went up. If they took ownership and started making a better product I can respect that. I still don’t like that their manifolds and intercoolers look identical to other brands.

Good thing about them is they along with exotic head studs were the simplest to deal with when I needed something warrantied pretty much said okay where do we send the new turbo to.

Let me get some head studs then we will find out. I appreciate your feedback honestly I do and man if it blows up I will not only give you props but drop a borg warner in ha ha. Look we gotta pay to play that's how it is. I enjoy all this its what it's about although it can be frustrating. I know I don't make alot being a disabled veteran so I put my money in companies like the one in Texas aka Smeding. If your truly made in Texas then prove it turbo ha ha. As far as the look alike stuff I get that I would be mad also. We are all in this together. You would not believe how much is now shot down by the epa. Don't believe me look it up the kits I won't name brands but they don't for the most part advertise complete kit. Man I miss the days f**k the EPA

20. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234