Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Trailer Brakes Locked With Dash Warning?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Trailer Brakes Locked With Dash Warning?

Has anyone experienced this?

I feel like it is a problem with the truck, not the trailer.

I have a 2018 2500 and a 2016 dump trailer that a friend just returned with his '20 GMC 3500.

e reported no problems, but the way he drives, he may not have noticed them.

The trailer brakes lock up as soon as I hook to the trailer. They unlock when I unplug the harness.

I also get a message to "check the trailer brake wiring" when connected. of course, it sounds like there is something wrong with the trailer brakes, so I manually disconnect the brake wiring at the brakes, which in-turn unlocks the brakes but the warning is still on the dash.

So it must be the harness wires from the plug to the axle, even though it is in excellent shape, right?

To test this, I connect to a friend's one-year-old trailer.

His lights come on, but my truck doesn't see his brakes; when I manually activate his trailer brakes on my dash, it says no trailer brakes detected or something to that effect.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trailer Brakes Locked With Dash Warning?

Quote Originally Posted by MarshHunt View Post
    Has anyone experienced this?

I feel like it is a problem with the truck, not the trailer.

I have a 2018 2500 and a 2016 dump trailer that a friend just returned with his '20 GMC 3500.

e reported no problems, but the way he drives, he may not have noticed them.

The trailer brakes lock up as soon as I hook to the trailer. They unlock when I unplug the harness.

I also get a message to "check the trailer brake wiring" when connected. of course, it sounds like there is something wrong with the trailer brakes, so I manually disconnect the brake wiring at the brakes, which in-turn unlocks the brakes but the warning is still on the dash.

So it must be the harness wires from the plug to the axle, even though it is in excellent shape, right?

To test this, I connect to a friend's one-year-old trailer.

His lights come on, but my truck doesn't see his brakes; when I manually activate his trailer brakes on my dash, it says no trailer brakes detected or something to that effect.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    I would start with a full system scan to see if any trouble codes show up in the Integrated Trailer Brake Module (ITBM).

If no trouble codes are found you will need a wiring diagram for your trucks trailer brake system.

I have attached the diagram for my 2014 as an example.

This will allow you to determine if your trucks trailer brake system is working correctly.

If this all checks out good, you will need at least a connector pinout diagram of the trailer you are trying to communicate with.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes watersupply189, Corkey liked this post