Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  36

Thread: Weird high pitch whine, whirling sound...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Weird high pitch whine, whirling sound...

Hey everyone, got a 2018, 75k mi, weight loss, and a host of other supporting mods. Recently developed what I believe to be a boost leak, but not sure. Can't replicate the sound in park and givin it throttle, still building enough boost, no excessive smoke, mpgs are still freaking awesome and drivability is still on par. Was thinkin it was the Pusher style intake horn, put the OEM one on with a new gasket and still makin the noise. Addressed all the boots and clamps, monitoring anything and everything I can under PID settings to try and notice a discrepancy and just can't seem to figure it out. Hard to get a video with good audio with a 5in straight exhaust, so that's kinda out of the question. Any ideas? Throw me some questions and maybe with everyones help I can figure this out. Never had an issue with the truck, got it with 11k mi and changed those spark plugs around 20k mi, DRD tuning, revmax billet valve body around 30k mi, change the oil and all fluids religiously and really try to take care of my rig.

2. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Weird high pitch whine, whirling sound...

To add to the thread, this sound shows it self under harder acceleration. I can drive "normal" and not get a sound. As soon as some boost around 18-20psi is added, it seems to show it's ugly head.

4. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check the flange from the turbo to manifold.

I've had the 1 stud come loose before.

Check the exhaust manifold bolts as well.

I've also had those pain in the rear bolts come loose.

The only other thing that comes to mind currently would be the exhaust back pressure tube that feeds from the manifold to the sensor.

If the intake is flat and sealed property and the boots are sealed, I would bet its somewhere around that exhaust manifold bud.

Edit- under hard acceleration, I can get my boost maxed out at 36psi.

Stating its only getting 18 to 20 under a hard load says to me there's a boost leak somewhere.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Thanks TheJonJon, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, TheJonJon, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonJon View Post
    Hey everyone, got a 2018, 75k mi, weight loss, and a host of other supporting mods. Recently developed what I believe to be a boost leak, but not sure. Can't replicate the sound in park and givin it throttle, still building enough boost, no excessive smoke, mpgs are still freaking awesome and drivability is still on par. Was thinkin it was the Pusher style intake horn, put the OEM one on with a new gasket and still makin the noise. Addressed all the boots and clamps, monitoring anything and everything I can under PID settings to try and notice a discrepancy and just can't seem to figure it out. Hard to get a video with good audio with a 5in straight exhaust, so that's kinda out of the question. Any ideas? Throw me some questions and maybe with everyones help I can figure this out. Never had an issue with the truck, got it with 11k mi and changed those spark plugs around 20k mi, DRD tuning, revmax billet valve body around 30k mi, change the oil and all fluids religiously and really try to take care of my rig.
    Agree with the comments above, sounds like you may have an intake leak. I would recommend to pressurize the system from turbo inlet back with 30 psi of air and check the intake system for leaks with soapy water.

5B6E6DEB-CCCA-4307-96B4-CA7CCA8C09D1.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey, TheJonJon thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, TheJonJon, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Well it will build up to 36psi as it is supposed to, but that 20psi mark is where I notice it. I'll get up in the turbo and check that out. I've been so fixated on the driver side because that's where I hear it from and I figured anything on the turbo side of the motor would either be popping a code and or give me some other definitive indication that in fact that's where the issue is. Will keep y'all posted!

10. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@Akbob, planning on getting one here soon LOL. I was waiting for you to chime in. You always have some good knowledge to drop on us LOL!

12. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@Corkey, you may be on to something. I remember the other day when the investigation first started, I went around and underneath doin a rudimentary check and did notice the clamp on the downpipe to the turbo was loose and I was able to get a substantial amount out of it. After that I did notice a little less vibrate at a stop light and the exhaust noise quieted down a little bit. It has me thinking that maybe something in the turbo/exhaust manifold area may have come loose. Crazy because the truck runs like a peach, even with this cold weather and pesky noise goin on. Averaging 23mpg, good rail pressure, trans line pressure is good, trans is lucky to hit 120° in our eastern NC winters and 160° in our brutal summers, and everything seems to check out. Knowing my luck, it's the dumbest simplest thing ever. I guess that's the problem of being an over analyzer. You miss the little **** LOL.

14. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheJonJon View Post
    @Akbob, planning on getting one here soon LOL. I was waiting for you to chime in. You always have some good knowledge to drop on us LOL!
    Hopefully you can find the leak with a visual inspection but if not the boost pressure tester will allow you to duplicate the sound and make it easier to find. Thanks for the kind words, I try to help where I can it’s a learning experience for me too.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

16. Likes Corkey, watersupply189, TheJonJon, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well guys, I took off the intake horn and cold side boost tube, cold air intake and have been under the hood all day. No visual indication of an exhaust leak on the manifold or turbo flange. Put everything back together a little better than the first time installing it. Took it for a spin and the noise is almost diminished to nothing. Still slightly hear it so it has to be a boot, clamp, intercooler pipe that is still not seating right. I think it's the cold side somewhere between the start and end of that boost tube. I remember having a time with that side when I first installed it. I think when I get another day to myself and some good weather, I'll get all new boots and clamps and redo the whole thing. Keep y'all posted.

18. Thanks AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I do hear issues with the flange on the pusher intakes to be slightly warped/not truly flat resulting in a high pitch sound coming from the driver side.

Some have no issues and some encounter exactly as your describing.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

20. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post