Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  127
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

1. Top Of Page | #21

Re: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

These are the technician notes from the diagnostic workup:

-Move shift to D and N; truck has worked well since
    -Chirping sound between park and reverse with harsher engagement park to drive
    -No MIL lights
    -Note: Transmission is equipped with Protect68 kit, TCM tune for 250 PSI line pressure and 30hp increase
    -Transmission issue; Heard a bang noise at 20KPH
    -Lost all forward and reverse. Move shifter park and drive; engine revved and no go (shut off truck), put in N and Drive and then worked

TECH NOTES:
    Start truck and has forward and reverse
    -Road Test; no problems with transmission
    -Check fluid level & it is a little low; fluid feels a little thicker than normal
    -Check for leaks & none seen; scan for transmission codes and none found
    -Take on longer road test & still had no trouble
    -Road test after transmission fluid / filter service was completed and two codes came back
    -Code P0841 Low reverse pressure switch rationality & P1775 Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in TCC Position
    -Cleared codes and road test again
    -Cannot get transmission converter to lock up
    -Code P0841 came back when shifter was put in neutral after road test
    -Perform some tests and look like there may be internal leakage & a possible problem with the solenoid pack

Providing the notes to help with clarification on what was found.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

So, no problems were found until they changed the transmission fluid and filter.

You made the right choice getting out of there and going to a shop you trust.

Their repair cost estimate was ridiculous.

Please keep us posted on what the new shop finds.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Yeah, having low pressure could cause the converter not to lock.

Jeez. “Performed some tests” and “may be internal leak” I can’t stand techs that can’t articulate what tests they performed and use the phase “may need.”

Gives us honest techs a lousy name.

I’d drop the pan and check the filters; if they aren’t factory, Mopar swap them out.

Aftermarket converter filters are known to have drain-back issues.

And I’ve seen enough pick-up filters split at the seams to never even think about using aftermarket filters.

On another note, I need to raise my prices.

I keep seeing these “transmission” shops charging revmax 850 prices for next-to-stock builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

My truck is at the other shop now.

My mechanic, whom I trust there, is saying that he can put in a remanufactured transmission with someessentialc upgrades for $6700 all in our the door.

Includes converter and fluid etc. He is convinced I am better off putting in a remanufactured transmission vs. messing around with my current one based on the codes he pulled and past diagnostics, and a loud bang sound.

He said it takes two events to trigger the code and that I would be wasting my money doing another trans fluid filter swap.

This seems like a fair price to me and comes in about 60% cheaper and comes with a three-year, 100,000-mile warranty.

Please let me know what you think.

I guess I could ask him to change the filters and fluid again, but I am having a hard time ignoring the bang sound, not working in the drive, and then working in neutral.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

This is the transmission he is planning on putting in:

https://www.napc.ca/07-17-chrysler-6...4-67-diesel-25

There are three options:

Tow: $4,250 Canadian Dollars
    Heavy Hauler: $5,400 Canadian Dollars
    Full Race: $7,930 Canadian Dollars

I am getting information on each model's valve body and physical handles since I have a trans tuning that can command up to 250psi when required.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    This is the transmission he is planning on putting in:

https://www.napc.ca/07-17-chrysler-6...4-67-diesel-25

There are three options:

Regular: $4,250 Canadian Dollars
    Heavy Hauler: $5,400 Canadian Dollars
    Full Race: $7,930 Canadian Dollars

I am in the process of getting information on what the valve body on each model and physically handle since I have trans tuning that can command up to 250psi when required.
    At this point I sure hope that loud bang came from your transmission.

You may also want to look into and consider Revmax as an option.

https://revmaxconverters.com/product...-transmission/

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks ECLIPSE22, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

I spoke with my trusted mechanic, and he said he is just waiting for the new remanufactured transmission, which should be arriving today at some point.

When he drained the brand-new fluid from the pan that the first shop changed two days ago with maybe a couple of short test drives, he said it was extremely thick.

The other shop also noted that the trans fluid was thicker than normal when they drained it when I brought it in.

I wonder what would be causing it to be so thick even after being changed the other day and only after a couple of short test drives.

Anyways, the remaned transmission should be going on today or tomorrow sometime.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #28

Once the "new" transmission is in, my mechanic will do the quickly learn procedure.

What is the break-in period like (how should I drive and when should the fluid and filters be replaced) once it is up and running again?

Thanks to everyone who has provided information and insight.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #29
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    Once the "new" transmission is in my mechanic is going to do the quick learn procedure. What is the break in period like (how should I drive and when should the fluid and filters be replaced) once it is up and running again?

Thanks to everyone who has provided information and insight.
    I’d follow what your mechanic recommends.

I tell my customers after the 250 mile drive learn have at it tow heavy, race it what ever.

Fluid and filters I recommend Mopar filters and the cheapest atf + 4 you can find and change it every 20k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #30

The new transmission is in, and so far, so good.

The mechanic did the relearn, so they made it easy.

Have to do a fluid filter change at around 12,500 miles for the break-in.

Thanks again to everyone.

20. Thanks watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123