Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  127
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

1. Top Of Page | #1

2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

Driving at a lower speed, like 15mph, I figure in 2nd gear and hear a loud bang from the back of the truck.

I stopped the truck and parked it to check the sound, and nothing looked out of the ordinary, and nothing was run over, etc.

The truck was running the entire time while in the park.

I put the transmission in the drive, and it would not move.

I turned the truck off and back on, but it still wouldn't move.

Then put it into Neutral and Drive, which drove fine.

I went to the store, put it into the park, turned it off in the parking lot, started after shopping, drove perfectly normal all the way home up some significant hills, and stopped driving maximum speed of about 35mph.

It sounds like e transmission input shaft to me.

The truck does not move freely in the park, and the truck has a BD protect68 and TCM tuning with NO CEL.

It is a factory 2012 valve body and 68RFE.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

I plan to call some transmission shops and see if I can get it in as soon as possible for a look.

I don't understand how it can still be driving after not being able to engage drive at first, then shifting into neutral then back into drive got it working again with no strange sounds or drivability issues since then.

Also, I tried moving the truck while it was in the park, and it did not move.

Someone told me it could be the rear end or driveshaft and to check those out for damage/wear or play in the shaft.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Hopefully, someone will jump on here and give some ideas of what it could be.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I wondered if it could have been something as simple as the rear brake locking up and releasing.

Please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

I can’t think of anything that would be able to make a loud bang in the transmission and still be able to be driven afterward.

I wouldn’t cross out the transfer case or rear diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

I drove the truck to the transmission shop about 10 miles away today with no issues; everything worked fine.

However, when I shifted from P to D, I noticed that the truck made a chirping/squeaking sound.

I also noticed this sound when I shut the truck off while it was in P.

When shifting from P to D, I noticed that it thudded and moved the truck more than it used to.

I checked the plug/magnet of the rear diff, and it appeared normal with very minimal shavings on it and dipped my finger into the gear oil, and it came out clean on my white nitrile gloves.

When I got under my truck, I had my wife put it in neutral, and I then tried to rotate the driveshaft (main rear), and it had about a half or so of play in it.

Not sure if that is normal.

This leads me to believe it may be due to the U Joint/driveshaft issue.

Would a damaged u joint make a loud bang sound and then make it so that the truck wouldn't move forward when shifting from P to D but then work when shifting from N to D?

I am confused about this one, but it is at the shop now, and it made it there without any problems or noises.

Also, I checked for DTC codes, and no codes came up.

I had my PIDs on my programmer set for desired vs. actual values, and all the transmissionPIDss looked normal.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The u-joints, Drive shaft, transmission input shaft, and or rear end would not temporarily fail to move the truck and then suddenly start working again on their own.

This virtually has to be a transmission issue.

From what you have described, I would have to suspect valve body/ solenoid pack issues.

Maybe the transmission tried to engage two gears at once, which can cause it to lock up.

If some metal shavings are floating around in the engine oil, this can attach itself to the magnetic shift solenoids and cause weird issues.

The banging into gear is also commonly caused by valve body/ solenoid pack issues.

That is where I would look.

14. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

Thanks for your input.

I will speak with the shop today and mention this to them.

I will update you once I hear back.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

So the shop checked the driveline, drive shafts, u joints, front diff, and rear diff, test-drove it a bunch of different ways, and nothing came back, and of course, no DTC error codes.

Now they are going to drop the pan and inspect the transmission.

If all is well, then it will be new filters and fluid.

If not, we will see what they find.

The anticipation is killing me.

18. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, AK Bob thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I'm on board with @Chrisn162001

Not sure how many miles you have, the transfer case chain will at some point start to stretch.

I think, it was or could have slipped a tooth or perhaps derailed off on sprocket but eventually popped back on.

Normally you would have a tall tell sign "Chain clatter or rubbing" inside the case indicating it's loose.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

20. Thanks ECLIPSE22 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, ECLIPSE22 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast