Thanks Thanks:  60
Likes Likes:  127
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

1. Top Of Page | #11

Re: 2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

K, so after they test-drove it, inspected everything, dropped the trans pan changed filters and fluid (they said everything inside the trans pan was fine and no shavings, etc.), then took it for a test drive and THEN it decided to throw codes and go into limp mode.

Here is what they said:

The 3rd road test showed trouble codes and a "limp mode" condition.

Code P1775- SOLENOID SWITCH VALVE LATCHED IN TCC POSITION.

History shows a possible worn-out switch valve bore.

The second code is P0841-LOW/REVERSE PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY.

This code may be due to a bad solenoid pack.

We will report to you accordingly on Monday.

Could this possibly be a solenoid issue?

They said they would run further tests on Monday.

The truck has just over 60,000 miles on it, a 2012 non-abused single-owner rig.

2. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

@Chrisn162001

Would be the brains on this one for you.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ECLIPSE22 View Post
    K, so after they test-drove it, inspected everything, dropped the trans pan changed filters and fluid (they said everything inside the trans pan was fine and no shavings, etc.), then took it for a test drive and THEN it decided to throw codes and go into limp mode.

Here is what they said:

Yeah, with the P0841 code, I'd start by changing the solenoid pack.

The only thing that bothers me is the loud bang noise.

Did you notice if the torque converter was locking after the banging noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189, CrazyTrain liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Here is what they said:

See attached troubleshooting guides for your trouble codes.

My guess is the shop will follow these steps Monday to determine the fix action.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

Yes, the torque converter was locking with no problem when I drove it to the shop last night.

Torque slip was good, line pressure looked good, and shaft speed desired vs. actual was good.

Is it strange that after they changed the fluid and filters, codes were thrown?

Thanks for your input on this.

I appreciate it.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

2012 68RFE Trans - Loud Bang Sound - Now Drives Fine After No Go In Drive

Yes, the torque converter was locking with no problem when I drove it to the shop last night.

Torque slip was good, line pressure looked good, and shaft speed desired vs. actual was good.

Is it strange that after they changed the fluid and filters, codes were thrown?

Thanks for your input on this.

I appreciate it.
    Yes, I’ve seen fluid and filter changes cause the 841 code normally it’s an aftermarket fluid pickup filter, or they didn’t change the pickup filter to pump seal.

I’m surprised it didn’t have a code immediately after the noise or during the time when in drive, and it wouldn’t move.

The 1775 code is likely secondary to the 841 code.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Yes, I’ve seen fluid and filter changes cause the 841 code normally it’s an aftermarket fluid pickup filter, or they didn’t change the pickup filter to pump seal.

I’m surprised it didn’t have a code immediately after the noise or during the time when in drive, and it wouldn’t move.

The 1775 code is likely secondary to the 841 code.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

I agree they may have caused the faults when they performed the transmission service.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

13. Thanks ECLIPSE22, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

I heard back from the shop and now they are telling me that there is internal leakage in the trans and they want to sell me all sorts of upgraded items for a super high powered rig. Telling me that it may or may not be the solenoid and they cant get a separate solenoid. They are also telling me that the torque convertor clutch is not working and they cannot get the torque convertor to lock up at all (I could get it to lock up after the bang sound and also on the way to their shop). I had it locking up no problem whatsoever on the way home after the bang sound and also while driving it to their shop. Only AFTER they changed the filters and fluid did this happen. Could having the codes mentioned show up after the filter fluid service as well as not adequate fluid pressure cause the convertor to not be able to lock up?

He did a mock up quote and said a complete new transmission, torque convertor, rear main seal, billet input shaft would run me around $15,000 plus the cost of test drive etc. after. I am going to take it to my own mechanic who does work on transmissions (specifically the 68RFE) but wasn't immediately available at the time I needed a shop. I think I am getting taken for a ride here and I am getting off right now and going somewhere else.

None of the codes showed until they changed my filters and trans fluid and they couldn't find anything wrong with the transmission until after the fluid filter change. Does this sound strange? It seems very strange to me.

I am super frustrated with the timing of this diagnostic / results and how it makes absolutely no sense to me based on the timing of the events. I think I am going to have the pan dropped again and check the filters and replace them with Mopar filters ensuring that they are both installed correctly.

15. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Wow! For that price you can get a built Revmax transmission or something. Definitely agree, take it to someone else.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

17. Thanks ECLIPSE22 thanked for this post
    Likes ECLIPSE22, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

I squared up on the diagnostic charges and fluid / filter swap and now it will be towed to a shop that I trust. Unfortunately, they were not available at first but now have some availability. I know I can get the right work done at a lower cost than what I was provided with by the original shop. Thank you everyone. If there is anything else you can think of or if I am missing something please feel free to chime in.

19. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast