Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice On The 68RFE Trans

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Advice On The 68RFE Trans

Alright, guys need some advice before I do something crazy and drastic.

A bit of history this is my 3rd 6.7. Firsts was an 18 G56 that I deleted from 1200 miles and went threw a few clutch setups before I was happy, and it was tuned via Ray.

I loved that truck but sold it due to divorce.

Next was a 09 auto that also deleted and had H&S canned tunes.

Then decided to get back into a 4th Gen.

The current truck is 18 tradesmen full delete via Ray.

The truck has right at 45xxx miles.

Ok, here is my problem, I’m not too fond of how this truck shifts.

I have lived with it, but the shift strategy that these newer trans has is crap.

It’s to the point im even considering selling the truck and starting another build.

I have had many other diesel trucks of all brands, and I want this pig to shift as it should.

I want opinions here; if I go the built trans route, say Revmax 550, and the proper tuning via Ray, will this genuinely fix all the shift slushness and the torque converter slip, etc.?

I am open to ideas and suggestions.

I don’t plan on crazy power; I just deleted and stock fuel and charger.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree more.

I hate the way the 68RFE shifts.

Once upon a time, Ray had control over trans parameters, and I was pretty happy with the trans.

Then I guess RAM did something which removed the trans control over it, and MM3 went to Warp tuning.

All tunes had to be rewritten.

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I was not happy with my stock 68RFE at all. Even with tuning, they are garbage cans. Getting a built transmission with DRD trans tuning will cure your pains. I am thrilled with a Randys 68RFE stage 2 extreme with DRD tuning.
    Night and day difference with shifts.
    Plus, having a built transmission capable of handling more power than you have, you will see a new truck come to life. It's crazy how much you lose with the stock transmission.
    Since getting my set up, I have realized how much of a pleasure it is to drive my truck again.

My two cents is to pay the money and get a built transmission.

- Happy to be on the food chain at all…
    - Full-Medium-Speed

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'm pretty happy with my 68RFE with Rays tuning.

The only thing I can't stand is the transmission's insistence on being in 4th gear when you slow down and turn onto a side street.

You go 15mph, but the transmission is in 4th gear, and you go to accelerate, and the torque converter slips while you slowly accelerate to a fast enough speed to lock the converter in 4th gear.

Super annoying as it should be in 2nd gear at that point, not 4th.

Apparently, this cannot be tuned out.

There is a way around it: to get into the throttle hard enough to force a downshift, but I don't want to drive my truck like a Hoon all the time.

This transmission with this tuning does seem to do everything a little better when driven a little more aggressively.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thank God for a G56. LOL

I couldn’t imagine what you guys are going thru with these 68 issues.

It must be so frustrating.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Re: Advice On The 68RFE Trans

I knew before I bought my 17 - the reputation of the So-Called (HD) 68RFE - I knew it was the weak link in the entire drive train - with future plans on making reservations with DRT Transmissions & have Doryn - performing a few mild internal modifications - then after I would tackle the emission issues.
    "Then maybe look into 4.10 gearing"

The warranty is almost gone and waiting on next year's tax return to fix these issues.

I don't have any solid advice with added actual proof for you.

I probably then shouldn't have posted then - but I felt compelled to do.

As of now - I keep her internal temps cool (with the thermal by-pass delete block) and a PPE pan - filled with fresh ATF (often) & treat her with respect & deal with the horrid shifting (especially going from 3rd to 4th). I just keep thinking of & reminding myself of the near future results & trying hard to be patient.

I know there are a few conversions, but the cost is ridiculous - After spending a few hundred miles in my son's 2020 F350 6.7L with the 10-speed, I shake my head every time I put my 17 in drive and step into the throttle. (She has spent 3/4 of her life in Tow-Haul mode) - which is still painful!

I apologize for no advice - Keep us updated with your post!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I have no complaints from my Revmax 68 low stall converter been in the truck for about 30k miles.

The truck's 3.42 gear was on 33s, and the 4th gear lug was annoying; use the tap shifter and manually shift down to 3rd.

Aboutsix6 months ago, I put the truck on 30" tires and made a massive difference with shift points and cut down rotation mass, less stress on the 68.

2014 ram slt. 6.8L, s472, ddp supermental 150%'s, 12mm CP3, fleece powerflo, stage 2 d&j head, revmax 700,

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input, and yes, I miss my old G56.

It was a pain in the *** at times; backing the toy hauler with the full ceramic single broke up a dual disk beating on with max effort tune from Ray at the local diesel truck wars here in NC.

I ran a 9.0 in 1/8, starting in the second full send mode, LOL.

It was a hoot, for sure.

Aged since then, I want my current truck to shift as my manual did, locked and all the power to the ground unless I slipped the clutch.

My most considerable hesitation is if I spend the funds and am still unhappy.

The new L5P Dmax with the old 6spd Allison 2017-2019 deleted is a true beast.

It’s not a Cummins; it’s its own animal but one slick setup.

They are expensive to delete 5k, but the two I have access to make me want to ditch the 68 and go to the Dmax.

I don’t want to spend the coin and regret spending it.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

All I have done is installed the BD Protect68 and a TCM tune.

I always drive it in "manual" mode since I notice that it likes to shift prematurely into 4th gear, and if not going fast enough, it does not lock the torque converter and lugs the engine.

I prefer shifting myself using the up and down arrow on the column shifter.

I hold third gear until it locks up, and I approach just under 40MPH and then manually shift into 4th at about 30% throttle or more, and it is seamless.

My 2012 had the anodized valve body, so I sleep a little easier knowing that, even though it probably has some minor cracks already.

However, I rarely tow or haul anything, so that may help longevity.

Here is the link to the plate that allows for increased line pressure in the 68RFE with proper TCM tuning.

PROTECT68 GASKET PLATE KIT Dodge 6.7L Cummins 68RFE 2019-2022 - 1030375 (bddiesel.com)

Good Luck!

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ok, guys, and gals, rehashing my old thread.

I’ve decided to go the built trans route and proper tuning via Ray.

That said, I’ve been researching the builders and have kinda narrowed it down.

Revmax 550 with their goodies, Firepunk rated at 650, but dunno about the tuneless valve body, and lastly is Randy’s stage 2.

All are pricy, with the Firepunk being a bit cheaper; with that said, any recommendations?

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast