Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Intake Horn - Grid Heater Delete?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

WTB: Intake Horn - Grid Heater Delete?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxonsram View Post
    Dah!! My bad! I see you are in a very warm climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, cold for us is 60°.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I got an email notice from Banks and read an article in RAM tech tips, “RAM insider talks bolt failure.”

I’m sure this helps marketing for Banks, but it leads one to believe that this is becoming a more common issue among the newer trucks.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

4. Thanks Jaxonsram, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

RAM Insider Talks Bolt Failure

We interviewed a gentleman who didn’t want to be identified because what he had to say could put him in deep trouble, but the very thing that he was supposed to be quiet about happened to him and his truck. “I’m a foreman for a Dodge dealer, and I’ve worked for Dodge for 30 years. The reason why you have me now is that this is my own personal truck. It’s in the shop right now.

My truck is a 2022. It’s all under warranty, and I get this check engine light. No big deal, right? I pull in and I have two recalls and I have a code for grid heater performance. I have no performance issues, and I grab the stud on the top of the grid heater and it’s loose. So, I go to get the grid heater, and I can get the part, but the relay is the problem. The contact sticks in the relay and they apply voltage continuously, and if that bolt is a little loose it arcs and basically melts. The nut doesn’t back off, it falls off because the stud gets eaten through, and then it gets ingested into cylinder number 6. It happens so much! I’ve seen 10 catastrophic engine failures in the past 6 months, let alone grid failures. I got a new grid heater no problem, but my issue is that the relay is on backorder and there’s no ETA." (We interviewed him just days before RAM announced the recall on the heater relay).

"The reason I called Banks is that I use this as a tow rig, it just does everything that I want it to do. I ordered the Monster-Ram because of the redesigned heater element. I’ve got a bunch of cab and chassis in here now with problems. And that new grid heater? It’s the same design. The nut is the same nut that gets loose and causes the problem. Nothing has changed. Nothing’s resolved.” The Monster-Ram is the solution as it eliminates the grid heater and replaces it with a high-flow billet intake plate. Intake air is pre-heated by a supplied coil heater located vertically within the Monster-Ram casting. It provides performance and peace of mind.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

If I replace the air horn and grid heater in my 22, will this fix the recall that causes the truck to catch fire?

Thanks!

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhittie View Post
    If I replace the air horn and grid heater in my 22, will this fix the recall that causes the truck to catch fire?

Thanks!
    I don’t think so; the problem is apparently with the grid heater relay.

You will still use the same relay if you replace the grid heater and horn.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxonsram View Post
    Hey, their friends; I’m looking to do a grid heater delete and intake horn that I can use the preheat.

Can you please send me some recommendations?

THE TRUCK IS 2012!

Also, do I need to do a retune from DRD after the installation?

Thanks.

I like the Pusher 3.5” intake.

They have a really clean look that looks low-key.

They offer powder coating, too, for a flashier look.

No retune needed

It removes the throttle valve, so it’s not street-legal, but they come with two 1/8” NPT ports.

For my purely off-road racing vehicle, I removed the stock grid heater and threaded this intake heater into the NPT port on the horn.

I still need a grid heater because of Alaska, but I wanted to get rid of my stock grid heater because it had become partially packed with soot.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...it-67l-cummins

They can add up to four NPT ports for methanol or NO2 injection.

2013 2500 Mega Cab 4x4, 285 75r17, 3.42 gears
    6.7/68RFE
    Pusher 3.5" intake horn, 2nd gen manifold swap with stock VGT turbo

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jaxonsram thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12