Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: Tappet Cover Leaking Really Bad!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tappet Cover Leaking Really Bad!

Hello, and happy new year to every one of you!

We've had some freezing weather here in Kansas recently, and the weather has gotten back up into the 60s very rapidly.

I think the rapid temperature swings made my gasket finally give out.

The tappet cover on my 2001 started pouring oil out of the bottom front, and I need advice on what tappet cover (if I should buy a new one) or try and reuse the old brand of the gasket to go with when replacing so that way I don't have to do the job twice.

Thank you!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, CrazyTrain, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tappet Cover Leaking Really Bad!

We would replace it with a new one, friend.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks C-MAN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, C-MAN, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I ordered the genuine Cummins gasket instead of the Felpro or Mahle gasket that the local parts houses sell.

Hopefully, buying the factory gasket and grommets will seal it well again!

For anyone needing the gasket, the Cummins part numbers for 98.5 to 02 are 3284623, the Cummins grommets are 3928759, and 6 grommets are required and sold individually.

I hope this helps someone who is in my situation.

If anyone happened to know the torque specs for the six bolts holding the cover on, I would appreciate it very much!

Thank you.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    I ordered the genuine Cummins gasket instead of the Felpro or Mahle gasket that the local parts houses sell.

Hopefully, buying the factory gasket and grommets will seal it well again!

For anyone needing the gasket, the Cummins part numbers for 98.5 to 02 are 3284623, the Cummins grommets are 3928759, and 6 grommets are required and sold individually.

I hope this helps someone who is in my situation.

If anyone happened to know the torque specs for the six bolts holding the cover on, I would appreciate it very much!

Thank you.
    The OEM gasket is a good choice.

The link below will take you to the factory service manual for your 2001 5.9 L Diesel.

I took a quick look under specifications and it looked like 18 in/lbs.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...Service-Manual

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thank you for the link to the factory service manual; that will help me tremendously!

I've been searching in the 5.9L diesel engine section of the manual for a while.

I want to ensure that those torque specs are for the cover on the driver side of the engine underneath the intake shelf that runs the entire block length behind the ECM and not the valve cover on top of the head.

I can't find a schematic in the manual that even shows a picture of the plate anywhere.

I may overlook it somewhere since there are so many pages, LOL.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C-MAN View Post
    Thank you for the link to the factory service manual; that will help me tremendously!

I've been searching in the 5.9L diesel engine section of the manual for a while.

I want to ensure that those torque specs are for the cover on the driver side of the engine underneath the intake shelf that runs the entire block length behind the ECM and not the valve cover on top of the head.

I can't find a schematic in the manual that even shows a picture of the plate anywhere.

I may overlook it somewhere since there are so many pages, LOL.
    I believe those specs are for the valve cover, but hopefully, someone more knowledgeable on the 5.9s will chime in.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, C-MAN, Corkey liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I just wanted to pop in and say that I completed this job successfully with no leaks.

I searched on other forums and such and figured out that the tappet cover bolts are 18 ft lbs.

Here is how I did the job to try and help someone else out in need.

Once you get everything off the driver side of the engine you also need to remove the lift pump bracket from the block so the baffle will clear when removing as the vp44 studs will hold you back if you dont.

Be very careful as to not bend the cover when removing and use a 90 degree or bent pick to run around the edge of the old seal and pop it loose.

Check the cover out for surface rust, paint chipping around gasket edge and warpage before moving forward and if it is damaged in any way opt for a good billet cover that retains the factory location of the ECM.

NOTE: do not use and aftermarket gasket when re installing and install the new rubber seal completely dry.

I took my time and made sure to clean the sealing surface of the block and entire cover till it had no oil residue on any of it.

I also took a rag and wiped down the walls and bottom of the tappet galley so no oil would run down the block.

I installed the gasket on the cover and then put all of the sealing washers on the bolts first then put a small bead of the right stuff gasket maker around each bolt between where the washer seal meets the cover.

I tightened all the bolts hand tight first and then tightened the bolts in 2 torque sequences starting in the center and alternating outwards towards the front and back 9 ft lbs the first time and final of 18 the second time and installed the ECM right away and let the rtv cure on the bolts for 24 hrs minimum before moving forward, while you're down there pull the vacuum pump and re seal it while you're in there if it hasn't been done and also replace the cam sensor if you have the extra coin as it will save you the headache in the future.

Thanks for all the help and replies to this thread Cheers!

14. Thanks AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post