Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Gen 2 Leer Canopy On A Gen 3 Truck?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Gen 2 Leer Canopy On A Gen 3 Truck?

Long story short, I've to drive from the UK over to The Netherlands on a rescue mission.

I need a hardtop cover as I'll be picking up 5 dogs.

Putting a wanted out in the UK Facebook group, I was met with someone selling a gen 2 leer hard top.

Does the gen 2 hard top fit a gen 3 bed? Both are 8 foot beds.

I'm going to know more about the top soon, the seller sent me this photo.

Colour isn't going to be an issue as I'll get coded when I get back.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

If they are both 8’ beds, then to me, it should fit.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the back of the cabs are they different from a Gen 2 to a Gen 3?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'll get some photos and model numbers, and I suppose if I sweet-talk someone, at leer they might confirm it.

You mean back, as in the back end?

Where is the tailgate?

That thought crossed my mind.

Just the rarity of these in the UK and the urgency of this purchase is making me possibly impulse buy and having it bite me on the backside.

2006 5.9, K&N, smarty tuned com mod, 35x12.5 r20's, Stryker off road control arms, Ranch hand bumper, half black, half raptor lined. Custom twin exit 5" pipes, arp head studs.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Delved right into the hole - found this youtube vid.

Short answer yes, long answer no because tub width narrows as it gets closer to the tailgate.

A? ?risk I'm willing to take, I'm willing to part with the asking price, if it looks stupid, I'll sell it.

If it looks OK and seals up nice, I'll get it painted.

But mainly using it to keep 5 dogs dry and out of the wind in travel crates.

The real test will be if it survives doing a lap around the nürburgring!

My roller is weathered to letting in water so now I just let the tub get wet, it's no bother. I'm using it as a proper ute!

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    I'll get some photos and model numbers, and I suppose if I sweet-talk someone, at leer they might confirm it.

You mean back, as in the back end?

Where is the tailgate?

That thought crossed my mind.

Just the rarity of these in the UK and the urgency of this purchase is making me possibly impulse buy and having it bite me on the backside.
    Hopefully, you can confirm the fit with Leer.

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to give the seller some earnest money to hold it and make the sale contingent on a trial fit.

Edit: I just saw your latest post after replying.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes, he's had it for sale for a while.

Gen 2's are quite rare here now.

Rust is making a bit more of a challenge keeping them on the road.

The v10s are staying as show trucks, so they're not using them as utes or dailies, fuel prices and all that, even running propane.

Most of the gen 2's are magnums/v10s over here.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Re: Gen 2 Leer Canopy On A Gen 3 Truck?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
    Delved right into the hole - found this youtube vid.

The real test will be if it survives doing a lap around the nürburgring!

As a massive motorsports fan, the Nürburgring and Autobahn are my European Mecca's.

I'd pay money to see a Medium Duty RAM understeer its way through the Ring just for the fun of it.

Maybe someday I'll make it out there.

* '17 CCLB G56 Laramie 4x4 - MM3 Tuned & Low Carb, Banks Grid Heater Delete, TV Delete, S&B CAI, 4" Turbo Back, Flo-Pro Muffler, Valair Quiet Dual Disc, CAT Fuel Filter Kit, Leveled, 18" Method 315 in Gold, 35" Toyo OC A/T II, HID Projectors, HLR LED Fogs, Infinity Speaker Upgrades, Line-X Platinum, WeatherTech Guards, XPEL Prime XR+
    * '02 WS6 M6 - ASC#3001 "Last of the Breed" - Full Suspension, CIE, on 18x11 Copper/Black CCW Classics.
    * '19 Triumph Speed Triple RS - Lots of Twill Carbon Fiber, SC Project Low Mount

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post