Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  134
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAM Gremlins - Anyone Else Have Them?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: RAM Gremlins - Anyone Else Have Them?

My truck sets a lot; I dont get used much except to towing the trailer to the cabin property about four times a year (enclosed trailer with construction gear), so it sets all winter so that the battery can get weak.

So last weekend, I installed a Nuco 2 amp battery charger maintainer, desulphated, and it even compensated for ambient temp difference.

This is mounted under the hood, right next to the TIPM module; I tied it into the power source feeding the TIPM unit, got a small black extension cord, and ran it right next to my block heater plug.

So now I keep it plugged in.

On a side note, I am a ham radio operator and have other brands, i.e., battery tender, Yuasa, etc.

They create "noise on my HF radio, especially in maintain mode; I hear and see it toggle on and off on the spectrum scope.

Well, this unit is as quiet as a mouse.

Not my install, just a generic picture. But this is the exact unit.

Clip it into the holder with a velcro strap to it's easy to get out of the way.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks watersupply189, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    My truck sets a lot; I dont get used much except to towing the trailer to the cabin property about four times a year (enclosed trailer with construction gear), so it sets all winter so that the battery can get weak.

So last weekend, I installed a Nuco 2 amp battery charger maintainer, desulphated, and it even compensated for ambient temp difference.

This is mounted under the hood, right next to the TIPM module; I tied it into the power source feeding the TIPM unit, got a small black extension cord, and ran it right next to my block heater plug.

So now I keep it plugged in.

On a side note, I am a ham radio operator and have other brands, i.e., battery tender, Yuasa, etc.

They create "noise on my HF radio, especially in maintain mode; I hear and see it toggle on and off on the spectrum scope.

Well, this unit is as quiet as a mouse.

Not my install, just a generic picture. But this is the exact unit.

Clip it into the holder with a velcro strap to it's easy to get out of the way.

I Agree Noco makes a great little battery charger/maintainer, and you can set it for flooded or AGM batteries.

Once set, it remembers the settings on the next power-up.

I also have mine installed in the engine bay and plugged into a programmable timer along with the block heater.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 17_G56 View Post
    I expect Fiat to install some of their lovely Italian Gremlins in them once they get involved and add the CANBUS crap.
    FIAT is an acronym for "fix it again tomorrow," sure glad I have a Mercedes-era RAM.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I had some time yesterday and pulled both front kick panels.

I didn't find any ground lugs on the passenger side, but the one on the driver's side was tight.

Then I decided to mess with my tailgate, which sometimes locks, but doesn't.

It seemed to be the plug at the tailgate harness, but despite cutting back some insulation, I didn't find anything obvious, and the pins, etc.

It seemed to line up with each half of the plug, so I taped it back up and added some dielectric grease.

I guess repeatedly locking and unlocking my truck drained the batteries because, after that, all I got was a click, no bang when I went to start it.

I put it on charge overnight on both batteries; this morning, one was charged, and the other was still not.

I'm wondering if I have another year-old interstate battery going bad.

Both were replaced under warranty about a year ago when they were about a year old.

I'll have to stop by my buddy's shop and have him load-test the batteries again.

That's how we confirmed last time that one was going bad. He replaced them both under warranty.

(EDIT) I just checked my records, and the "new" batteries were installed on 10-28-20, so they are two years and have changed.

The ones they replaced were almost the same age, about two years old.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I put the left battery on charge again today all day.

(About 10 hours) will not go above 12.2 volts, so I texted my buddy and told him I think I have another bad Interstate battery.

He told me he stopped selling them due to so many issues.

Crazy!

Interstate has been my go-to for years, and the last time the one went, it had all kinds of weird electrical gremlins, but most were with weird shifts.

So word to the wise, rethink your Interstate Battery purchases and consider it a possibility that it's your batteries if u have any weird electrical stuff.

I'll talk to him tomorrow and see what he can do regarding a warranty replacement, and I'll report back.

As of now, I don't have any weird electrical stuff going on, but I'm sure charging the batteries helped.

I also noticed my truck charging at 14 volts constantly this week.

I think it's trying to get that bad battery up.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

It's sad to say once again - but - battery companies are cutting corners to save $$$ as well as every other product sold in this country.

as of today - I'm still running the OEM batteries & have been searching for the last couple years planning & searching for a good/decent replacement when the time comes.

(Always planning/thinking months/years ahead)

Everytime I think I have narrowed it down to 1-2 - I find more then a handful of horrid reviews. (I know there is not a perfect made battery today).

I know there are only 3-4 major battery companies that produce most of the brands today.

At this point - I'm leaning towards a set of AGM batteries - Batteries are the true Heart Beat of these trucks - & - best not be taken lightly.

I'm still working on my garage here at the new house - still work in progress - but just mounted my Noco G750 yesterday - so every time my truck sits more then 48 hours - I can quickly/easily plug the G750 in via quick disconnects - provided by the Noco kit.

The JUDGE - rarely ever leaves the garage without a set of fully charged batteries - word or research shows doing this method or something similar will help prolong the life of the set by 3-4 years - though we all know there are many exceptions that can occur.

(My job is to keep the terminals tight and clean).

As expensive as auto batteries have become - I take this task very serious.

Please keep us up to date!

Still today - I'm working on cleaning the board up a bit.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Out with the old, in with the new.

My buddy got me warranty replacements today.

Hoping these are better.

Die-hard used to be great, but we'll see.

I noticed they are made in Spain, which is weird.

I don't know that I recall seeing anything made in Spain besides Spanish people!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123