Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  134
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAM Gremlins - Anyone Else Have Them?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RAM Gremlins - Anyone Else Have Them?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any gremlins come and go as mine does?

This summer, I towed my camper about 100 miles from home.

Upon returning home, my GPS would not register my new location and seemed to think I was still 100 miles from home.

Then I got an error message saying, "service vehicle phone, see dealer" or something like that.

Then one day, it went away, and the GPS worked fine.

I believe I got the same error message a few times after that, but they all went away after a couple of days.

Then recently, I kept getting left tail light out the message, and sure enough, half of the LEDs in my left taillight were out.

I began looking for a new tail light, and lo and behold, it started working again and has been fine since.

Most recently, my radio would blip and change stations when I hit a bump.

I did this for a week or two, and now it is fine again.

I'm considering that maybe one of my batteries has a bad cell or is a short or something.

They are both about year-old interstates that were replaced at about a year old under warranty because one went bad.

At that time, I had experienced weird shifting that resolved when the batteries were replaced, which has me considering that again.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: RAM Gremlins - Anyone Else Have Them?

I would check the batteries first.

What year truck do you have?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have not experienced the issues you speak of, but after spending a lot of time on various RAM forums, the first thing to try is batteries because the CANBUS systems on these newer FCA's are picky as hell.

I expect Fiat to install some of their lovely Italian Gremlins in them once they get involved and add the CANBUS crap.

* '17 CCLB G56 Laramie 4x4 - MM3 Tuned & Low Carb, Banks Grid Heater Delete, TV Delete, S&B CAI, 4" Turbo Back, Flo-Pro Muffler, Valair Quiet Dual Disc, CAT Fuel Filter Kit, Leveled, 18" Method 315 in Gold, 35" Toyo OC A/T II, HID Projectors, HLR LED Fogs, Infinity Speaker Upgrades, Line-X Platinum, WeatherTech Guards, XPEL Prime XR+
    * '02 WS6 M6 - ASC#3001 "Last of the Breed" - Full Suspension, CIE, on 18x11 Copper/Black CCW Classics.
    * '19 Triumph Speed Triple RS - Lots of Twill Carbon Fiber, SC Project Low Mount

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Sorry thought my rig info was in my sig.

It's a 13 Laramie CC 2500.

I'm at about 98k miles.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Check connections.

Voltage is everything with these trucks.

Clean battery terminals are a must to keep gremlins away.

I have had my bout with them.

Good batteries and clean connections cured all.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I've had a few issues, but the one that happens often is that when I start the truck cold, I don't have a grid heater, and I don't plug in my block heater; by the way, the defrost button flashes about 10sec, and then I can choose what air settings I want.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Opie011 View Post
    I've had a few issues, but the one that happens often is that when I start the truck cold, I don't have a grid heater, and I don't plug in my block heater; by the way, the defrost button flashes about 10sec, and then I can choose what air settings I want.
    Do you have a good scan tool that can scan all parts of the truck, not just engine/trans?

A good Autel where you can scan body, gateway, ABS, SRS etc is a must have.

I had all kinds of gremlins popping up, ended up being a poor ground in my IHS CAN, you have multiple CAN BUS networks and sound like your IHS (internal high speed)one based on problem areas.

Mine was poor grounds in left and right kickpanel at the bottom.

They were both tight, I just cleaned them and make them even tighter.

I ended up buying a hand held scope to monitor my CAN network.

The good scan tool will tell you which CAN networks has the trouble.

The good news on newer RAMS is you can unplug each component one at a time from the "STAR" connector to isolate the troubled part of the network.

If one leg is shorted, it kills it all, so unplugging each leg one at a time and watching when it comes back online, you know which leg or if one is open, you can isolate by the code.

A defrost button flashing can mean a bad or stuck servo controlling a blend door.

It trys for about 10 seconds and them stops and ignore it then powers up rest of system.

With all the DIYers in here, you need a good scan tool and now a good scope, looks like a DVOM in size.

A better scan tool can be one that can not just read, but talk back such as doing active test, setting turbo actuator up, writing VINS etc. (bi directional as its commonly refereed to.

If you want my advice, just post up, and I will give you my opinion.

I am a dealer tech, not RAM, but been one for 40+ years, same place the last 34 years.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

10. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Good points.

Thank you.

The only thing I have is AlphaOBD which does run tests etc.

My buddy's shop has a good scammer, I'm sure, though.

I may check those grounds, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, SyN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have not seen those gremlins, but whenever the temps are freezing, I get ' Battery Saver Mode,' and that stops the radio, heated seats, and wheel.

I will disconnect the grid heater next to see if it helps; the batteries were replaced last year with OEM AGM.

Low voltage seems to play a part; I noticed unplugging the tuner also helps, and the truck is on trickle charge when it's cold also helps.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    Good points.

Thank you.

The only thing I have is AlphaOBD which does run tests etc.

My buddy's shop has a good scammer, I'm sure, though.

I may check those grounds, though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Get all body codes, in my case, all items that would quit or do crazy things were on one shared network; it was the IHS or internal high speed.

You have CAN, CAN2 IHS, and probably more, at minimum.

You will find if the codes are a communication error, check what network its on and what systems are giving you trouble, then look at the wiring diagram for that network and it will also tell you close where the problem may lie.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast