Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  19

Thread: Is It Just Me Or? - Trailer Towing Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is It Just Me Or? - Trailer Towing Questions

Does anyone else notice their truck running better when a trailer is hooked behind it?

I was pulling my “I don’t feel like putting motorcycles in the bed of my lifted truck anymore” trailer yesterday…

I didn’t switch out of 200hp mode on raceme ultra (box tunes 68RFE).

The exhaust brake worked better as soon as I left the house with a couple of bikes on it; the truck sounded like it “should” in my mind, and it seemed happier having sensed what was realistically about 1,000 lbs behind it.

Are there enough sensors and data collection points in a 2018 to know it has to act a certain way when it senses a trailer hooked up to it?

If not, I’d be interested in making something that plugs into the connector and shows resistance in the system, as if there’s a trailer placing a load on it as it would.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is It Just Me Or? - Trailer Towing Questions

It’s true these trucks like to work and should be worked.

The additional weight and drag may have made it feel like the exhaust brake was working better.

Please let us know if you come up with the OBD plug that makes our trucks sound and performs better.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Is It Just Me Or? - Trailer Towing Questions

I’m already using the 7-pin connector for something aside from a trailer- to activate some LED pods mounted in the DV8 rear bumper that I somewhat recently installed.

I don’t recall which pin it is off the top of my head.

Still, I got a gooseneck power cord from O'rileys, plugged it into the 7pin connector, figured out which one to use for the lights to come on when I put it in reverse, and ground it to the bumper along with the two lights using an existing hole, and a nut/bolt with an eye terminal crimped to a pigtail from all three grounds collectively.

So if I were to see what sort of resistance I’d get by grounding the brake light or running light connector off the 7-pin connector, vs. the actual resistance when there’s a trailer

Behind it, do some reverse engineering and size a resistor accordingly, or add auxiliary lights comparable to the load when pulling something.

There would be a chance that the truck thinks it’s pulling a trailer, you could activate the aux break and running light with the trailer brake controller, and unless there’s some tip-over sensor or potentiometer we don’t know about yet, it will run the way it does mention here I’d hope.

If it does work, it could be consolidated into something that plugs into the 7pin in bed or on the bumper, grounds to something steel and within a short enough distance, and allows one to plug in their lights as well, as make their truck run differently.

Probably a $100 ballpark device that allows one to have led pods in conjunction with reverse lights, which comes in handy, IMO.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post