Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Saver Mode?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Battery Saver Mode?

Hey everyone, got a question for you all.

So last night, we had severe cold and snow roll into western NC, especially where I am at 4000 feet up.

I plugged my truck in today for about an hour and a half because it was 20 degrees out.

I know it's probably not needed, but I did it anyway.

So I got in and cranked her up, and she started OK and sounded fine, maybe a slight loop sound, nothing crazy.

As she was thoroughly warming up, I got a battery-saver mode message.

So I turned off everything I wasn't using and drove to our barn.

Once I shut her off to do a few things, I returned to leave, and the message was gone.

Do you all think my batteries are getting weak,k or does this sound like a regular operation for winter?

2. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Battery Saver Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Hey everyone, got a question for you all.

So last night, we had severe cold and snow roll into western NC, especially where I am at 4000 feet up.

I plugged my truck in today for about an hour and a half because it was 20 degrees out.

I know it's probably not needed, but I did it anyway.

So I got in and cranked her up, and she started OK and sounded fine, maybe a slight loop sound, nothing crazy.

As she was thoroughly warming up, I got a battery-saver mode message.

So I turned off everything I wasn't using and drove to our barn.

Once I shut her off to do a few things, I returned to leave, and the message was gone.

Do you all think my batteries are getting weak,k or does this sound like a regular operation for winter?
    Batteries were probably slightly weak, if I was to guess, being 20 outside.

When was the last time you did a load test on them?

How old are they?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks AK Bob, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, rsl0311usmc, Corkey, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t worry too much about the battery-saver mode if you have an operating grid heater.

The grid heater will draw over 200 amps in short bursts while idling on a cold start, which can cause this issue.

It’s a good idea to plug in when the outside temperature is 20*F or lower.

When the batteries get low, the truck will let you know; see my recent thread in the link below.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...Battery-Issues

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

I think they are three years old.

Honestly, I have to look.

They are Champion batteries installed by the previous owner.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Re: Battery Saver Mode????

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the battery-saver mode if you have an operating grid heater.

The grid heater will draw over 200 amps in short bursts while idling on a cold start, which can cause this issue.

It’s a good idea to plug in when the outside temperature is 20*F or lower.

When the batteries get low, the truck will let you know; see my recent thread in the link below.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...Battery-Issues
    Yeah, I did the Glacier grid heater delete plate along with their heater.

I will check out your post.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

Re: Battery Saver Mode????

Alright everyone here is a little more on the battery saver issue. So I plugged in the truck this morning and upon starting it up I had zero issues. Then I went out and had the truck parked this evening in the 20's without being plugged in. So I started it up and battery saver mode hit while the headlights went dim and back and forth like an idle up down noise. So I checked the volt reading on the truck and it was flipping back and forth from 12 to 14 volts about ten times before leveling out. So I went to my local auto store and bought two diehard platinum batteries. We tested the old batteries and they had twelve volts and the guy also said they passed the load test. So we checked the alternator by reading the new batteries while running and they had 14.3 volts. I am wondering if like stated before that it's not the batteries but maybe the Glacier grid heater possibly cycling on and off? Honestly I don't remember it doing this last year when I bought it in February but then again I had the stock grid heater also. Just trying to make sure there is definitely no issue with anything that I am potentially missing.

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Oh and the batteries are two years old that I replaced and when tested I think they were at around only 650 cold cranking amps which after doing research I hear is low

14. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sounds like the grid heater was just cycling off and on.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

16. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, rsl0311usmc liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Oh and the batteries are two years old that I replaced and when tested I think they were at around only 650 cold cranking amps which after doing research I hear is low
    I agree 640 CCA is too low, they should be 840 CCA. I suspect this is why the voltage to dropping and triggering the “Battery Saver” mode. The Glacier Diesel grid heater draws exactly the same current as the stock grid heater. I compared mine when I installed it, see photo attached.

CF51228D-6449-435D-9D09-6CBAA36712F6.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I agree 640 CCA is too low, they should be 840 CCA. I suspect this is why the voltage to dropping and triggering the “Battery Saver” mode. The Glacier Diesel grid heater draws exactly the same current as the stock grid heater. I compared mine when I installed it, see photo attached.

CF51228D-6449-435D-9D09-6CBAA36712F6.jpg
    Ok thanks. So I am under the assumption that replacing the batteries will hopefully correct all this? I also looked up champion batteries that the previous owner had in there and nothing came up for my truck. I wonder if they weren't sufficient enough to began with. They had no information as far as CCA on them and I don't have the part number now. Tomorrow I am going to crank it up and see what happens. It's 20 degrees out right now.

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast