Thanks Thanks:  33
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SB 3250 Reverse?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: SB 3250 Reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    I probably asked this before, and I know I got alot of help from members.

Just curious, after about 650 miles, break in if anyone with this clutch has the struggle with reverse and if it's normal.

The reverse was kind of a pain with the stock clutch.

I guess I am looking for other tips than what I currently do to get it in reverse.

All other gears are easy to get into, but for reverse, I go to second then it goes right into reverse.

But trying to go to reverse without doing that will not happen.

Any ideas or is this just normal for this clutch?

Thanks.
    Not that you asked but just offering that I'm not having this issue with my Valair Quiet Dual Disc.

Does SB recommend the 1qt overfill of Delvac?

Trying to think of what else might be different.

* '17 CCLB G56 Laramie 4x4 - MM3 Tuned & Low Carb, Banks Grid Heater Delete, TV Delete, S&B CAI, 4" Turbo Back, Flo-Pro Muffler, Valair Quiet Dual Disc, CAT Fuel Filter Kit, Leveled, 18" Method 315 in Gold, 35" Toyo OC A/T II, HID Projectors, HLR LED Fogs, Infinity Speaker Upgrades, Line-X Platinum, WeatherTech Guards, XPEL Prime XR+
    * '02 WS6 M6 - ASC#3001 "Last of the Breed" - Full Suspension, CIE, on 18x11 Copper/Black CCW Classics.
    * '19 Triumph Speed Triple RS - Lots of Twill Carbon Fiber, SC Project Low Mount

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

Quote Originally Posted by 17_G56 View Post
    Not that you asked but just offering that I'm not having this issue with my Valair Quiet Dual Disc.

Does SB recommend the 1qt overfill of Delvac?

Trying to think of what else might be different.
    I was messing with it more today, and it goes in.

It's kind of like the first but a tad bit stiffer.

Just have to slap it to the left and down, and it's perfect.

I run 6 quarts Amsoil MTG 75w 90 and one quart Amsoil sychromesh.

I have to remember that my clutch is rated for 650 hp and 1300 torque.

It's going to be tight in low gear.

But yeah, it goes in and has broken in nicely.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I was messing with it more today, and it goes in.

It's kind of like the first but a tad bit stiffer.

Just have to slap it to the left and down, and it's perfect.

I run 6 quarts Amsoil MTG 75w 90 and one quart Amsoil sychromesh.

I have to remember that my clutch is rated for 650 hp and 1300 torque.

It's going to be tight in low gear.

But yeah, it goes in and has broken in nicely.
    You mentioned it felt a little tight before the clutch install so I wonder if you ended up with a G56 with slightly tighter tolerances and the clutch install exacerbated that ‘tightness’ hopefully, in time she’ll loosen up for you.

* '17 CCLB G56 Laramie 4x4 - MM3 Tuned & Low Carb, Banks Grid Heater Delete, TV Delete, S&B CAI, 4" Turbo Back, Flo-Pro Muffler, Valair Quiet Dual Disc, CAT Fuel Filter Kit, Leveled, 18" Method 315 in Gold, 35" Toyo OC A/T II, HID Projectors, HLR LED Fogs, Infinity Speaker Upgrades, Line-X Platinum, WeatherTech Guards, XPEL Prime XR+
    * '02 WS6 M6 - ASC#3001 "Last of the Breed" - Full Suspension, CIE, on 18x11 Copper/Black CCW Classics.
    * '19 Triumph Speed Triple RS - Lots of Twill Carbon Fiber, SC Project Low Mount

6. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

Quote Originally Posted by 17_G56 View Post
    You mentioned it felt a little tight before the clutch install so I wonder if you ended up with a G56 with slightly tighter tolerances and the clutch install exacerbated that ‘tightness’ hopefully, in time she’ll loosen up for you.
    Yeah, it's getting better.

I am very happy with it so far after getting everything adjusted, aka pedal height.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I had to adjust my clutch pedal after initially installing mine.

It got really difficult to put in reverse, first, or second but adjusted it after break in and it is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

Quote Originally Posted by Loud 03 View Post
    I had to adjust my clutch pedal after initially installing mine. It got really difficult to put in reverse, first, or second but adjusted it after break in and it is much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's exactly how mine started.

The installer left the locking nut on the adjuster sleeve loose and it was dead level with the brake.

I then adjusted it slightly above and locked it and it got better but not completely were I needed it so I adjusted it higher changed out the stupid GL-5 the shop put in and now after break in its perfect.

12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Yeah, anytime I put it into, let's say, second gear.

Then reverse goes in super smooth.

It's like that for all the forward gears, followed by the reverse.

I guess I was trying to find a way to avoid that and be able to get it into reverse by itself.

I guess it's just the nature of this clutch, with it having three times the clamping force and needing to slow everything down to get the reverse while synching everything up.
    As others said, forward gear.

I suspect the extra friction surfaces still allow a light coupling, even with the clutch depressed, so going into an fwd gear stops the rotating mass to allow an "R" shift.

See if you can adjust more release into the pedal, but make sure, in the end, you have some pedal-free play to ensure the clutch is fully clamped down when off the pedal.

Mine goes in as nicely as the dual junk mass setup, but I just did the single disc.

USMC, did you even get that gear oil changed to the 75W-90 GL4 stuff? <--- after reading further, I see you did change it out.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

13. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    As others said, forward gear.

I suspect the extra friction surfaces still allow a light coupling, even with the clutch depressed, so going into an fwd gear stops the rotating mass to allow an "R" shift.

See if you can adjust more release into the pedal, but make sure, in the end, you have some pedal-free play to ensure the clutch is fully clamped down when off the pedal.

Mine goes in as nicely as the dual junk mass setup, but I just did the single disc.

USMC, did you even get that gear oil changed to the 75W-90 GL4 stuff? <--- after reading further, I see you did change it out.
    I may try that here in a few, adjusting it a little more.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

I got it a little further out, and I couldn't do much more as my boot started to hit.

It's honestly the same as my last adjustment.

If I give it a good jerk to the left, she will go in, and sometimes I have to do it twice.

I spoke with the south bend clutch, and they said it is the nature of this clutch as far as 1st and reverse.

They said you have a figure.

You have three times the clamping force versus stock now.

I will say it's night and day when you first had me adjust it.

Before, I thought I was going to damage my trans.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12