Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  40

Thread: Rev Matching G56 Downshifts?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Rev Matching G56 Downshifts?

I'm just curious, now that I have this South Bend clutch, is there any of you other G56 owners rev-match on downshifts?

I hear South Bend recommends no downshifting, supposedly, but I do it anyway, as I live in the mountains.

I drive it like any other manual vehicle.

Just curious, and I may try it because I hear it helps with the driveline shock and is easier on the clutch.

Thanks for any input.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Rev Matching and G56

So I drove it home earlier to try it on a downshift, and it was ok; other than that, I suck at it.

I never downshift hard, anyway.

This is the method I will stick to, and it is basic manual driving.

What I do here in the mountains is because I usually have to downshift and put less stress on everything.

Going down a decent grade in, let's say, 6th gear, I will wait till the rpm's are at a thousand or so and shift to 5th around one of my turns.

I try to do this with most downshifts so your not getting those hard downshifts that make you feel like you're going forward with high RPMs.

To me, it's not lugging by any means if you are not on the gas accelerating.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Rev Matching G56 Downshifts?

I have an SB and hardly use my clutch for more than starting off or going to reverse.

I have not had any issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    So I drove it home earlier to try it on a downshift, and it was ok; other than that, I suck at it.

I never downshift hard, anyway.

This is the method I will stick to, and it is basic manual driving.

What I do here in the mountains is because I usually have to downshift and put less stress on everything.

Going down a decent grade in, let's say, 6th gear, I will wait till the rpm's are at a thousand or so and shift to 5th around one of my turns.

I try to do this with most downshifts so your not getting those hard downshifts that make you feel like you're going forward with high RPMs.

To me, it's not lugging by any means if you are not on the gas accelerating.
    Having driven commercial for many years, the clutch was only used for starting or stopping.

It is a learned art that takes practice.

I would drive it however you feel comfortable, though.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Having driven commercial for many years, the clutch was only used for starting or stopping.

It is a learned art that takes practice.

I would drive it however you feel comfortable, though.
    Yeah, I will be honest I don't think I can pull it off.

It's a skill I don't have LOL.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I always rev-match mine and use the clutch when up and downshifting.

Zero issues.

IMO, you'll wear the crap out of the synchros not using the clutch.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Your transmission has synchronizers and was engineered to be shifted using the clutch.

Can you shift it without the clutch if you know what you are doing?

Sure would I do it?

Once in a while, for fun, but not on the regular unless you want to wear out your synchros and be forced to shift that way all the time.

Should you rev-match when downshifting?

Yes, you don't need to necessarily, but reducing wear on the synchronizer is helpful.

Just do it using the clutch as well.

Cruising in 6th, and you want to downshift to 5th.

Push in the clutch and shift into neutral.

Let the clutch out in neutral and rev the engine up.

Quickly push the clutch back in, shift into 5th and let the clutch back out.

This happens fast and is all about timing and knowing what rpm you are going to be at when you have the clutch back out in your selected gear at a given speed.

This will come with experience and paying attention.

It will not be smooth at first, but you will learn.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    Your transmission has synchronizers and was engineered to be shifted using the clutch.

Can you shift it without the clutch if you know what you are doing?

Sure would I do it?

Once in a while, for fun, but not on the regular unless you want to wear out your synchros and be forced to shift that way all the time.

Should you rev-match when downshifting?

Yes, you don't need to necessarily, but reducing wear on the synchronizer is helpful.

Just do it using the clutch as well.

Cruising in 6th, and you want to downshift to 5th.

Push in the clutch and shift into neutral.

Let the clutch out in neutral and rev the engine up.

Quickly push the clutch back in, shift into 5th and let the clutch back out.

This happens fast and is all about timing and knowing what rpm you are going to be at when you have the clutch back out in your selected gear at a given speed.

This will come with experience and paying attention.

It will not be smooth at first, but you will learn.
    Yeah, man, I take way too long to do it.

I end up thinking too much.

I have just gotten into waiting until the RPMs are very low if I have to downshift.

It doesn't matter if I put it in neutral first, then downshift to the next gear without reving?

I imagine neutral first is no different than just doing a downshift.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah, letting the clutch out in neutral before downshifting without revving up the engine isn't helping anything.

Its probably actually hurting.

By putting it in neutral and revving the engine you are trying to increase the input shaft speed of the transmission to roughly what it is going to be when you let the clutch out in your next lower gear.

Putting it in neutral and letting the clutch out with the engine at idle is slowing down the input shaft speed of the transmission instead of speeding it up.

Its doing the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Practice doing it in the higher gears.

From 6th gear to 5th gear.

On flat ground.

Just cruise at say 1300RPM in 6th.

Kick it in neutral and let the clutch out as soon as the clutch is out rev the engine up pretty high, about 2200 RPM or so.

Then Immediately stab the clutch back in and start pushing the shifter into 5th, don't try to force the shifter, get some moderate pressure on it instantly after the clutch is back in and hold the pressure, you will feel it slide in easily when the input shaft speed comes back down to match the road speed in 5th gear.

Then ease out on the clutch.

If you don't feel it slide easily into 5th you either didn't rev the engine high enough or you moved too slow.

Just let the clutch out in neutral and rev it up again and try again.

If your just coasting on flat ground you will have plenty of time to try this 2 or 3 times before you are going too slow for 5th gear.

With a little time this will get very easy for you and you wont have to think about it.

Don't try to do it below 3rd gear, just exhaust brake to the bottom of third and coast the rest of the way on the brakes.

18. Thanks rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I don't unless I need to downshift for acceleration; outside of that, when I downshift, I'll slowly release the clutch until it smoothly raises my engine RPM to match, then with no throttle, my engine brake engages to slow the truck down.

That is pretty much how I drive any manual.

As long as it's "smooth" up or down, wear should be minimal, in my experience.

These trucks aren't race cars, so I'm not going to worry about heal toeing or rev-matching, but hey, do whatever makes you happy, I say.

* '17 CCLB G56 Laramie 4x4 - MM3 Tuned & Low Carb, Banks Grid Heater Delete, TV Delete, S&B CAI, 4" Turbo Back, Flo-Pro Muffler, Valair Quiet Dual Disc, CAT Fuel Filter Kit, Leveled, 18" Method 315 in Gold, 35" Toyo OC A/T II, HID Projectors, HLR LED Fogs, Infinity Speaker Upgrades, Line-X Platinum, WeatherTech Guards, XPEL Prime XR+
    * '02 WS6 M6 - ASC#3001 "Last of the Breed" - Full Suspension, CIE, on 18x11 Copper/Black CCW Classics.
    * '19 Triumph Speed Triple RS - Lots of Twill Carbon Fiber, SC Project Low Mount

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post