Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  27

Thread: Turn Signal Light Out - Warning?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turn Signal Light Out - Warning?

I swapped my turn signal out with LEDs, got the turn signal out the message, and they blinked fast because I didn't have resistors.

I got tired of it and swapped it back to the original bulbs.

Still get the warning, and the bulbs won't blink.

They all four work when the running lights are on.

Any way to clear this up?

2021 RAM 2500 tradesman.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turn Signal Light Out - Warning?

Quote Originally Posted by Sowega6.7 View Post
    I swapped my turn signal out with LEDs, got the turn signal out the message, and they blinked fast because I didn't have resistors.

I got tired of it and swapped it back to the original bulbs.

Still get the warning, and the bulbs won't blink.

They all four work when the running lights are on.

Any way to clear this up?

2021 RAM 2500 tradesman.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you tried turning the bulbs 180 degrees to see if that works?

Try disconnecting your batteries for 30 minutes and see if that works.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I haven't tried turning the bulbs.

I disconnected the batteries for a couple of minutes today, but I will try that again for longer.

I'll try turning the bulbs on the driver's side and see if that helps.

Have to remove the air filter box to get to the inside bulb on the passenger side.

Just not sure why they will come on with the running light and headlights but not when the turn signals are on.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Turning the lamps 180 may work if they are the LED type.

If you are still trying to get the stock lamps to work, disconnecting the batteries for longer or touching the positive cable to the negative cable with both batteries disconnected may clear the codes in memory.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to find and clear the codes in the BCM with a higher-end scan tool.

I think you may have set these codes when you inserted the LED bulbs into the circuit.

See the following description of what is involved to operate the turn signals in these trucks.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS:
    The turn signal lamps system includes the multi-function switch on the steering column, the SCM, the EMIC and the BCM. The front turn signal lamp bulbs each have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the FEM wire harness. The FEM wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured by ground screws to the left inner fender support within the engine compartment. The rear turn signal lamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the body sheet metal or the frame. On vehicles with the optional outside rear view mirror lamp modules, the lamp modules receive a path to ground from their respective driver or passenger door module.

The SCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the multi-function switch to determine the status of the turn signal switch, then sends the appropriate electronic turn signal switch status messages to the EMIC over the LIN data bus. Then the EMIC relays an electronic turn signal request message to the BCM over the CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for either the right or left turn signal lamps through high side drivers on the appropriate front and rear, right or left turn signal feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages back to the EMIC to control the illumination and flash rate of the right or left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the EMIC electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional turn signal flasher. On vehicles with the optional outside rear view mirror lamp modules, the EMIC also sends the appropriate electronic messages over the LIN bus to the driver and passenger door modules to control the illumination and flash rate of those lamps.

The EMIC also provides a turn signal ON warning that will generate repetitive chimes to indicate that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour).

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Turning the lamps 180 may work if they are the LED type.

If you are still trying to get the stock lamps to work, disconnecting the batteries for longer or touching the positive cable to the negative cable with both batteries disconnected may clear the codes in memory.

If it still doesn't work, you may need to find and clear the codes in the BCM with a higher-end scan tool.

I think you may have set these codes when you inserted the LED bulbs into the circuit.

See the following description of what is involved to operate the turn signals in these trucks.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS:
    The turn signal lamps system includes the multi-function switch on the steering column, the SCM, the EMIC and the BCM. The front turn signal lamp bulbs each have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the FEM wire harness. The FEM wire harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured by ground screws to the left inner fender support within the engine compartment. The rear turn signal lamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through a takeout and eyelet terminal of the body wire harness that is secured by a ground screw to the body sheet metal or the frame. On vehicles with the optional outside rear view mirror lamp modules, the lamp modules receive a path to ground from their respective driver or passenger door module.

The SCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the multi-function switch to determine the status of the turn signal switch, then sends the appropriate electronic turn signal switch status messages to the EMIC over the LIN data bus. Then the EMIC relays an electronic turn signal request message to the BCM over the CAN data bus. The BCM responds to these messages by controlling a battery voltage output and the flash rate for either the right or left turn signal lamps through high side drivers on the appropriate front and rear, right or left turn signal feed circuits. The BCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages back to the EMIC to control the illumination and flash rate of the right or left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered onto the EMIC electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional turn signal flasher. On vehicles with the optional outside rear view mirror lamp modules, the EMIC also sends the appropriate electronic messages over the LIN bus to the driver and passenger door modules to control the illumination and flash rate of those lamps.

The EMIC also provides a turn signal ON warning that will generate repetitive chimes to indicate that a turn signal has been active continuously for 1.6 kilometers (1 mile) with the vehicle speed greater than 22 kilometers-per-hour (15 miles-per-hour).
    I am trying to get the stock lamps to work.

I got tired of the fast blinking and turn signal out the message.

I know the bulbs work; they just don't blink when the turn signal is activated.

Got the battery cables unhooked now and touched them together.

I will let it sit unhooked for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, guys.

10. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I am trying to get the stock lamps to work.

I got tired of the fast blinking and turn signal out the message.

I know the bulbs work; they just don't blink when the turn signal is activated.

Got the battery cables unhooked now and touched them together.

I will let it sit unhooked for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, guys.
    Please keep us informed on how things turn out, friend.

Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Put the cables back on.

It sat for about 2 hours or so and still got the warning light and no blinker on any of the front bulbs.

I guess I have to get ahold of a good scanner and clear it.

Thanks, guys.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Put the cables back on.

It sat for about 2 hours or so and still got the warning light and no blinker on any of the front bulbs.

I guess I have to get ahold of a good scanner and clear it.

Thanks, guys.
    Well, dang, you got to love technology.

Sorry, it didn’t work.

16. Likes AK Bob, Corkey liked this post