Thanks Thanks:  62
Likes Likes:  129
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When It Rains It Pours Clutch Slippage G56

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: When It Rains It Pours Clutch Slippage G56

To get that 7th quart in mine, I put the right side of my truck up on ramps, and it took every bit of that final quart.

No need to take the shifter top out unless you have the shop do it thats putting the clutch in; then, the shifter will be removed anyway.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

2. Top Of Page | #22

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    Long as they are using a synthetic GL4 equivalent, I'd save the Delvac for your next fluid change.

That last quart needs to go in through the shift tower.

Not terribly difficult to remove, but you need to pull the floor console out and pull a boot off to get to the shift tower.
    Yep, that's what I plan on doing.

I think they said Valvoline gl4 is what they were putting in.

I know they said they just did a valair clutch on a G56 and they were talking to me about fluid and the gear rollover.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    To get that 7th quart in mine, I put the right side of my truck up on ramps, and it took every bit of that final quart.

No need to take the shifter top out unless you have the shop do it thats putting the clutch in; then, the shifter will be removed anyway.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    Hmm, I didn't think about doing it that way.

That's pretty slick, thanks.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

Ok so I picked up the truck this evening and wow what a difference.

My clutch pedal is actually softer than what I had before.

Come to find out I had a stock clutch which I took with me upon pick up to dissect.

It's to late for me to add the photos but I will be on it tomorrow.

The shop ended up putting 75w 90 gear oil I believe in it instead of 50 weight.

Not to big of a deal considering I have what Mercedes recommends coming in no time.

I will say for the most part the truck shifts awesome just a little stiffer.

I can say when it grabs it grabs.

Upon pickup it wasn't that noisy.

Then I realized when I got home that the adjustment nut wasn't tight on the clutch pedal and out of adjustment.

So I did what south bend recommends and adjusted it to one half inch to three quarters above the brake peddle.

Then I could really here the marbles when cold but all in all it was light years from the oem dual mass clutch as far as drivability.

Stock felt so harsh and jerky and that the power wasn't there.

Anyways time will tell I got my Mobil Delvac SAE50 on its way which I plan ti dump in.

7. Top Of Page | #25

So first impressions this morning with cold driving at about 40 degrees this morning are as follows.

It was a little stiff especially getting it into reverse but honestly not drastically different than stock and is to be expected, I guess, with break-in and all.

I will tell you all that the 70w 90 gear oil has to go.

I can handle a lot, and I thought the Amsoil ATF smelled strong in the cab.

It honestly has nothing on this gear oil, and it's gonna go.

I put a new Dorman shift boot on there a few months ago, so I don't think it's that.

Anyways gotta unload this hay, and in a few hours, I will put pictures up of the stock clutch.

8. Top Of Page | #26

Alright, I got the oem dual mass apart, and I am glad it's gone.

You can see there wasn't a whole lot of clutch left, and in some areas, uneven wear looks.

Also, I can see where it got toasted a little, LOL.

9. Top Of Page | #27

Anyone have this clutch have issues with 1st and reverse?

It's like pulling teeth to get it in there especially 1st gear.

I bump the throttle and sometimes it's easier to get into gear but man it's a struggle.

10. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Anyone have this clutch have issues with 1st and reverse?

It's like pulling teeth to get it in there especially 1st gear.

I bump the throttle and sometimes it's easier to get into gear but man it's a struggle
    Maybe not quite fully disengaging, tighten up the adjustment (take a smidge out of the free play)

I run 75W90, no smell, take a recon and make sure no leaks, mine was a slight leaker, clean it all off with brake cleaner, no residual and monitor it, should be no small.

Mine is only clunky downshifting when cold, in 30 minutes, all is good.

Also, its normal for pedal pressure to increase as clutch wears, you are forcing the pressure plate "past over center" No one notices it because its gradual, then when new clutch is in, butter soft.

The stock clutch is absolute garbage, best thing you did was to toss it.

Thanks for report, I was looking forward to your follow up

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

12. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

I might add, the smallest hole in that orange shifter boot will leak, run down case.

My installer put a pinhole in mine.

They took it off thinking they needed too, nothing to see under that boot.

I priced one from Dodge, 156 bucks, got the Dorman, identical looking, under 15 bucks.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

14. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #30

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Maybe not quite fully disengaging, tighten up the adjustment (take a smidge out of the free play)

I run 75W90, no smell, take a recon and make sure no leaks, mine was a slight leaker, clean it all off with brake cleaner, no residual and monitor it, should be no small.

Mine is only clunky downshifting when cold, in 30 minutes, all is good.

Also, its normal for pedal pressure to increase as clutch wears, you are forcing the pressure plate "past over center" No one notices it because its gradual, then when new clutch is in, butter soft.

The stock clutch is absolute garbage, best thing you did was to toss it.
    Thanks for report, I was looking forward to your follow up
    Ok I got the doorman boot arriving today and still waiting on the delvac 50 oil.

So should I adjust the pedal in or out?

I got it about three quarters above the brake pedal.

I appreciate your help 1st and reverse are driving me nuts.

16. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast