Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Converting From A 32 Gal Sending Unit To A 50 Gal Sending Unit

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Converting From A 32 Gal Sending Unit To A 50 Gal Sending Unit

Like the title says, I'm trying to convert from a 32-gallon sending unit to a 50-gallon sending unit.

I have an S&B 52-gallon replacement tank that is getting replaced under warranty because it has come in contact with my driveline (Recall from S&B).

One of the things I wanted to address was the incorrect fuel level needle on the dashboard; my question is, has anyone upgraded fuel tank sizes and sent unit sizes to get a more accurate reading on the dash?

I know you can use alpha OBDII, and an unlock cable to change the distance to empty on the LCD screen, but the needle is still incorrect unless you have a bigger sending unit. Has anyone tried testing this out to see if the bigger teams will work with the bigger tank size?

Do you know if the electrical plugs on both sending units are identical?

I know the S&B tank sits 2 to 3 inches lower than the stock 32-gallon tank; I also see the 50-gallon sending unit is slightly longer than the 32-gallon unit.

There seems to be no useful information online, and I would be more than likely the first person to experiment going this route.

32 Gal sending unit part# 5145571AA

50 Gal sending unit part# 68490266AA

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Converting From A 32 Gal Sending Unit To A 50 Gal Sending Unit

Quote Originally Posted by DeLo Enterprises View Post
    Like the title says, I'm trying to convert from a 32-gallon sending unit to a 50-gallon sending unit.

I have an S&B 52-gallon replacement tank that is getting replaced under warranty because it has come in contact with my driveline (Recall from S&B).

One of the things I wanted to address was the incorrect fuel level needle on the dashboard; my question is, has anyone upgraded fuel tank sizes and sent unit sizes to get a more accurate reading on the dash?

I know you can use alpha OBDII, and an unlock cable to change the distance to empty on the LCD screen, but the needle is still incorrect unless you have a bigger sending unit. Has anyone tried testing this out to see if the bigger teams will work with the bigger tank size?

Do you know if the electrical plugs on both sending units are identical?

I know the S&B tank sits 2 to 3 inches lower than the stock 32-gallon tank; I also see the 50-gallon sending unit is slightly longer than the 32-gallon unit.

There seems to be no useful information online, and I would be more than likely the first person to experiment going this route.

32 Gal sending unit part# 5145571AA

50 Gal sending unit part# 68490266AA
    Please keep us posted on your progress.

I see the S&B install instructions say to use your existing OEM fuel level sender.

Have you contacted S&B to see what they say about installing the 50 Gallon sender?

I wonder if the Body Control Module would need to be programmed for the larger sender to read correctly.

As to the sender's electrical connectors being identical, I wonder if you could have the dealership parts department confirm.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Converting From A 32 Gal Sending Unit To A 50 Gal Sending Unit

Buddy installed a 65-gallon tank in his truck and used the same sender.

It just reads full for a long time, then as the fuel level drops to the 35 and under area, his needle drops, empty is still empty (about 3 gallons left for reserve when on E).

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post