Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  35

Thread: Short Commutes?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Short Commutes?

I will start a new job in a couple of weeks, and my daily drive will be drastically reduced as in round trip, less than 10 miles.

Usually, I would switch with the boss and make her drive the Cummins due to the shorter trips; however, her job is only 5.5 miles from our house!

So either way, super short trips.

I will still have other commutes to get items/shopping or whatever, but fewer chances to "blow out some carbon."

Any suggestions on what to and not to do with these short trips?

Keep in mind I live in Michigan, and winter is coming.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Short Commutes?

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post
    I will start a new job in a couple of weeks, and my daily drive will be drastically reduced as in round trip, less than 10 miles.

Usually, I would switch with the boss and make her drive the Cummins due to the shorter trips; however, her job is only 5.5 miles from our house!

I will still have other commutes to get items/shopping or whatever, but fewer chances to "blow out some carbon."

I wouldn’t worry too much; get her out on the highway for a good run when you can.

Good thing she’s on a diet; that helps a lot.

I have a similar situation in Alaska; being retired, most of my daily trips are generally short.

During the winter months, I allow her to idle for three to five minutes, then take it easy until the oil and transmission warm up.

I take longer trips occasionally, and she gets a good workout during the summer when I pull my fifth wheel.

Mine is parked outside year-round; during the winter, I use the winter grill cover, plug in the block heater, and battery tender on a timer.

I add a winter anti-gelling additive with every tank and a bottle of fuel system cleaner every 3,000 miles.

I have beenn operating this way over the last five years with no problems.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Aboshan, SyN thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

My daily commute to work is also under 10 miles.

Most of which is across town, so 30-40mph the whole time.

I've always come up to temp.

Even with the short commute.

Just plug it in when it gets freezing cold.

Use your high idle.

Use tow/haul to keep RPM up in a decent range.

Take it for a Sunday drive on every/every other tank of fuel.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, it will be plugged in since she sits outside as well.

I also add additives during winter to minimize the possibility of jelling down.

I plan on taking her for longer trips every other week when I pick up or drop off my daughter to her mom.

There is highway usage there, so that I can work it a little on those trips.

2012 2500 SLT - 35's, 5% Tint, Custom Katzkin Leather Interior, NOCO Plug adapter for Block Heater, DRD Weight Loss Program, 4" turbo back exhaust, 20" Rough Country Single Row LED Light Bar, EZ-Lift tailgate, 2 Car Seats, cracker crumbs, and 3 year old french fries

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great Advice above!

I find myself during the winter months - getting up 30 min earlier and getting her on the highway @ least 5-8 miles (more than usual) in 5th gear & @ 2K RPMs.

At least by the time I get to work in the parking lot, the coolant is around 192, and the oil temp is 180-190.

I don't mind - due to I like driving her!

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJo View Post

Plug in your block heater.

So you don't run it all night, put it on a timer.

I think they are about 400 watts.

You can get lots of milky sweat if it doesn't warm enough to turn moisture into steam and collect out of the vent system.

Lots of iron, large thermal mass, takes a while to saturate all that iron with heat, add heat sinks like transmission, etc., and your location could be a while.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

My commute is about 12 miles, but I run longer trips several times a week.

I have tested my oil at every change, and the water percentage has always been 0.0%, but I start at between 70° and 90°, so I am already "warm."

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed