Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  40
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Bearing Experience?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Wheel Bearing Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Now would be a good time to swap over to free wheeling hubs.

The new alloy rims don't allow it anymore, i.e., the borehole is smaller than the hub size.

I have a buddy, and we are doing his 2015 RAM 3500 Tradesman, he has steel-clad wheels with large lug covers, so it's a nonissue for fit.

I was concerned about the wheel bearing, and the front axle assy always rotating on my truck (2010) and added them.

Mine now uses serviceable tapered roller bearings, and the kit did come with Timken.

It did come with Mile Marker hubs' small surface area, so it was upgraded to the massive WARN hubs.

I did not toss my old wheel bearing/hub assy, and I probably won't either.

I did find a shot driver's side axle joint while in there.

Attachment 14962

Attachment 14963
    I thought it was the wheel assembly, however, new upper and lower ball joints, u joints on both sides up front, passenger side tie rod end, and alignment

The same day heard noises still, turns out, 209k miles and I hear the chain or sprocket chattering in the transfer case.

Not sure what to do now.

If I had the money, I would buy a gear-driven atlas.

But A reman T case OE is anywhere from 1500 to 2500.

Been meaning to ask for some advice on this situation.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX, YUKON 4.56 GEARS W/ COVERS

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Wheel Bearing Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    I thought it was the wheel assembly, however, new upper and lower ball joints, u joints on both sides up front, passenger side tie rod end, and alignment

The same day heard noises still, turns out, 209k miles and I hear the chain or sprocket chattering in the transfer case.

Not sure what to do now.

If I had the money, I would buy a gear-driven atlas.

But A reman T case OE is anywhere from 1500 to 2500.

Been meaning to ask for some advice on this situation.
    I had a bad transfer case on a truck under a powertrain warranty at work (Toyota) and was just going to replace the T case, boss said, no, you can't.

You have to repair the old unit.

So ordered all the parts, and the final price was more than the parts.

That one was the chain itself, the wide link belt set up.

Some of the link pins were sliding out, the chain was coming apart.

It is really a simple setup; if all the rest is fine, just toss in a new chain with sprockets.

Price them out first.

The chain I bet is reasonable, but the sprockets could be pricey as its more than just a sprocket, its part of a sub-assembly.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12