Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  46
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm Thinking I Need An ECM

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: I'm Thinking I Need An ECM

Being busy, I took the 5th wheel to FL for a friend whose home was removed by hurricane Ian.

Yes, we replaced the fuse box under the hook.

Used to be referred to as TIPM.

In 2013, they remained it as Power Distribution Module and had to be programmed by a tech.

My codes and random problems continued.

Local electrical experts with Chrysler software went through the entire CAN bus and found the engine ECM bad.

They located a reman unit and installed it.

I had to get an additional VIN license for the MM3 since the new ECM is a different serial number.

Once done and updated with DRD and tuning truck is running perfectly.

There are no codes; interestingly, the transmission is quick shifting, and truck driveability is improved.

I was charged $2100 for all the diagnostics and the new ECM.

Seems reasonable, given the time involved.

I hope this is helpful.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by egolsen View Post
    Being busy, I took the 5th wheel to FL for a friend whose home was removed by hurricane Ian.

Yes, we replaced the fuse box under the hook.

Used to be referred to as TIPM.

In 2013, they remained it as Power Distribution Module and had to be programmed by a tech.

My codes and random problems continued.

Local electrical experts with Chrysler software went through the entire CAN bus and found the engine ECM bad.

They located a reman unit and installed it.

I had to get an additional VIN license for the MM3 since the new ECM is a different serial number.

Once done and updated with DRD and tuning truck is running perfectly.

There are no codes; interestingly, the transmission is quick shifting, and truck driveability is improved.

I was charged $2100 for all the diagnostics and the new ECM.

Seems reasonable, given the time involved.

I hope this is helpful.
    Thanks for the update; pleased to hear everything is back working better than before.

I agree you were very fortunate with the cost of ECM troubleshooting, replacement, and programming.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by egolsen View Post
    I have a 2013 3500 DRW, 131K.

Deleted running DRD standard setup at plus 60 hp.

For the last year, I have been tracking down the occasional bong on the dash, and the tpms light will flash, but this truck is pre tmps for DRW.

We have pulled and checked connections at TIPM.

All were clean, and we added di-electric.

I checked the CAN connections, and all look good; I checked the chassis and engine grounds.

Batteries have been replaced, and the load test is at 100%.

Changed out Alternator with now is putting out much more steady voltage reading.

After all of this, I still have the bong, and in the last 1000 miles, it has gotten worse, and now I'm driving; I get every message under the sun while driving.

The truck runs perfect, but while going down the road, I have gotten trailer brakes to need service, parking sensors off, dash has gone blank and rebooted, the dash will say to depress the brake and push start (while running), abs needs serviced, brake light (for parking brake) flashes, traction loss flashes.

All while happily driving down the road running just fine.

Codes are currently logged during this last 15 minutes test drive.

P0513: Incorrect Immobilizer key
    U0102: Lost comm with transfer case ctrl mod
    U0121: Lost comm with ABS (ABS) ctrl mod
    U0140: Lost Comm with body ctrl mod
    U0155: Lost comm with instrument panel cluster ctrl mod
    U0121: Lost comm with steering column ctrl mod
    U0415: Invalid data received from abs ctrl mod
    U1412: Implausible vehicle speed signal received

Before the last 250 miles, I occasionally got the lost comm with steering column code logged, but none of the others.

Before the last few hundred miles, the bong was usually always at low RPM, under 1500, and under load.

Now it is all the time.

It does this on dry and wet days, so I don't think it is water.

I have also tried reprogramming with the MM3 with a battery charger hooked up. Made no improvement.

Any thoughts on anything I could be missing, and whether anyone has replaced an ECM, and what was involved?

Thanks.
    I had same issue, losing communications, gettign loads fo warning lights, we have to reset the auto up down and front windows, dash would black, nothing works.

Was a comm issue with my IHS CAN network, this is the internal high speed stuff.

I searched high and low, it was intermittent, so knew it would be tough to track.

The last thing I did before it never reared its head again was tighten down the ground wire bolts at the LH and RH kick panels.

I also used the copper anti seize on the bolts to keep them clean and still conduct current

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12