Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  21

Thread: 2016 RAM With Anti Spin Differential

1. Top Of Page | #1

2016 RAM With Anti Spin Differential

So I got bored a little while ago and tried something with my truck.

The 2016 RAM I bought used said it has the optional anti-spin differential.

So coming from a power wagon, I wanted to try the somewhat of a locker, if that's what you call it out.

Now, if anyone who has one can please tell me if I did this right or if it seems like I have this option, it would be great.

I put the passenger side rear up on a jack off the ground while the driver's side stayed on the floor.

Having a G56 in first gear, I just let the clutch out, and the tire on the passenger side spun off the ground.

The same was true with a bit of throttle.

Now it wasn't until I gave it a good amount of throttle that the driver's side started moving the truck with the passenger tire off the ground.

The same was true, and way quicker lockup if I tapped the brakes and hit the throttle, adding resistance to the planted driver's side tire.

It started moving, act a locker with that passenger tire off the ground.

Is my assumption right that this is the anti-spin diff option I have because an open diff would've never done anything except one wheel spinning the whole time?

Thanks, guys.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I believe your test is valid, also this thread may help identifying your differential.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...r-End-question

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks Corkey, rsl0311usmc, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes, not a locker type or a clutch type, but it is a locking type.

Many different ways to get this locking diff.

Ours uses a Gleason Torsen setup.

Assuming you have the same AAM I do. I know mine has it; I ordered it with it and verified it was on my window sticker.

It's a non-serviceable unit, which doesn't mean it can be serviced; AAM probably doesn't sell parts, just the entire center section.

The nice thing is it doesn't require any special additives like the clutch types when you change gear oil.

This is what the carrier looks like.

It's a Gleason Torsen type assuming they are using the same as they did in 2010.

Another great site, i.e., engineering, explained.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Top Of Page | #4

Ok, awesome it's actually nice being able to bump the brakes and get it to lock up.

Just making sure the optional equipment was actually installed.

The only thing that sucks is apparently I went from a 3.73 to a 3.43 because of the G56.

I wish I took photos of the rear when I took it apart for the fluid change.

Honestly, it looks like it has those worm gears.

I was bored and like messing with things so today this was it.

I was kind of wondering how it will do this winter?

7. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

Apparently, my build sheet says it has it.