Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: High EGTs / Other Issues - Need Help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

High EGTs / Other Issues - Need Help

I'll try to make this short but can't promise it.

A couple months ago my wife was unable to walk nor leave the house and I landed up driving her car for a month or so without touching my truck.

When I went to finally use my truck the battery was dead.

After popping the hood to charge the batteries I noticed that squirrels/chipmunks pulled all the fabric insulation off the battery and built nests.

I found the airbox was full of nuts and the fabric.

I cleaned it all up, got a new air filter and went on with everything as usual.

Shortly after it seemed like it took more pedal to get going and stay at that speed.

EGTs jumped up and when going up hills with no load etc, I can easily hit 1400*.

If I'm rolling at like 35-50 and just give it some more pedal to pick up speed I roll coal like crazy which it didn't do before.

Also, when laying into the pedal a little my truck sounds like a 12 valve which is kind of new unless I was pulling a heavy trailer.

At idle EGTs are fine, no smoke or anything so I believe it rules out VGT issues but it does seem that my boost numbers are slightly lower then before but if I really get on it I can get it up to 28-31 PSI.

Watching my RaceME I don't see rail pressure changing any so I don't think its surging or anything.

Which I'm starting to think I have an injector issue but not sure how to troubleshoot it, I tried some power service, hooked up a heavy trailed and ran it at 1200* for a few minutes nothing seemed to change.

So I guess I'm asking all you for thoughts or ways to diagnose this issue.

The truck has 56k miles and never has been really beat as its my DD.

TIA

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

2. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: High EGTs / Other Issues - Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    I'll try to make this short but can't promise it.

A couple months ago my wife was unable to walk nor leave the house and I landed up driving her car for a month or so without touching my truck.

When I went to finally use my truck the battery was dead.

After popping the hood to charge the batteries I noticed that squirrels/chipmunks pulled all the fabric insulation off the battery and built nests.

I found the airbox was full of nuts and the fabric.

I cleaned it all up, got a new air filter and went on with everything as usual.

Shortly after it seemed like it took more pedal to get going and stay at that speed.

EGTs jumped up and when going up hills with no load etc, I can easily hit 1400*.

If I'm rolling at like 35-50 and just give it some more pedal to pick up speed I roll coal like crazy which it didn't do before.

Also, when laying into the pedal a little my truck sounds like a 12 valve which is kind of new unless I was pulling a heavy trailer.

At idle EGTs are fine, no smoke or anything so I believe it rules out VGT issues but it does seem that my boost numbers are slightly lower then before but if I really get on it I can get it up to 28-31 PSI.

Watching my RaceME I don't see rail pressure changing any so I don't think its surging or anything.

Which I'm starting to think I have an injector issue but not sure how to troubleshoot it, I tried some power service, hooked up a heavy trailed and ran it at 1200* for a few minutes nothing seemed to change.

So I guess I'm asking all you for thoughts or ways to diagnose this issue.

The truck has 56k miles and never has been really beat as its my DD.

TIA
    Any trouble codes or check engine light?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Any trouble codes or check engine light?
    Nope.

2016 2500HD Tradesman, 6.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 68RFE, MAG-HYTEC pan, RevMax Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass, RevMax valve body, 4.10, RaceME, Rays tune, HPP EGR/Cooler Delete, XDP Throttle Valve Delete, FloPro 5", 295/65R20 Ridge Grappler

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Do you happen to have any boost leaks?

This would make the motor work harder and spike EGT'S higher than usual.

Rats and mice are devils.

You never know what they'll chew through.

You would most likely hear a hissing or ticking telling you it was a leak, maybe.

I'll try not to throw out other ideas yet, so it's not an overwhelming process for you.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doublejz View Post
    Nope.
    Focusing on the black smoke and low power could result from an air intake leak or restriction.

As you mentioned, fueling from a leaky injector is also a possibility.

I would start by checking the intake air system for leaks or blockage that the rodents may have caused.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post