Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  37

Thread: OEM+ Intercooler Upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

OEM+ Intercooler Upgrade?

I thought of this the other day as something I may look into.

CSF makes a heavier-duty bar and plate intercooler; not sure how much more volume is over stock, and XDP also sells a heavy-duty bar and plate upgrade intercooler (they look almost identical, but I'll ask XDP).

It can be had for about $450-600 if you want to upgrade charge piping; you could do the kit from Rudy's Diesel which looks identical to the Banks piping kit, for about $230.

Is $600-700 worth the investment for some additional intercooler volume and lower IATs?

Banks complete packages about 2.5x that amount, which is a heavy investment, but I can see doing what I mentioned above.

Years and years ago, I went from a factory Volkswagen 2.0T intercooler to a unit off an Audi S3 which dropped in but offered a 30% larger volume for about $350 and a few hours.

It wasn't a night and day difference, but I distinctly remember going on that first drive and thinking that I knew it picked up some extra power and was well worth the investment.

Just a few thoughts, but it would be something I might consider over time if I had the data (I.E., the lower priced CSF or XDP units are 35% larger volume, etc.).

I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for the complete Banks unit, or Mishimoto, which also creeps up around $1500.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: OEM+ Intercooler Upgrade?

I agree; I don’t think you will notice much difference from stock until you increase fuel and turbo.

I guess it depends on your ultimate HP goal and future mods.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It was more of a question of can you get better IAT’s for a $500ish intercooler upgrade without spending ridiculous on Banks or Mishimoto or even an OEM+ upgrade, for example, a heavier duty factory intercooler for the max tow package on 3500’s, etc.

For $1800 from Banks, my factory intercooler is fine, LOL.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Other than atheistic looks, when more ponies are made, the hotter the setup gets or pulling applications create and retain the heat longer.

This is where an upgraded kit will help the motor and the user feel at ease.

I know Banks has been in the game for a hefty time, but with that being said, competition follows.

I would also put Banks ahead in the game for R&D with proven statistics.

Something draws me towards Mishimoto with their whole cooling kit.

I like being the oddball giving the new brands a try, as well with a god's honest truth on reviews.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I agree with the R&D aspect of Banks.

I know they put in the effort, and I'm sure the gains are over-stock.

I asked XDP about the CSF 6076 (Heavy duty bar and plate) vs. their Xtra Cool direct fit replacement (XDP brand) since they are around $600-ish for just the core, not a bad price if there were some gains to be had (even if fewer gains than Mishimoto or Banks).

He said they both are similar in size as stock and bolt right in. They are just more efficient at keeping temperatures down and heavier duty bar and plate construction.

Would I go through the trouble to install one at $600 for no real published gain in core volume?

Probably not maybe I'd try one at half that price, though.

Same with Banks and Mishimoto, even with gains, is it worth $1600 for my uses?

Probably not.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm doing a Banks intercooler now; I've had it for about a year but finally got around to doing it.

Still in the process of swapping out the pipes but should finish it tomorrow.

I need help getting it back in with the pipes, and taking the plow mounts off will help a lot.

It's tight in there kind of sucks.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok, folks, so I'm still not done.

I had an issue with the hotside pipe because I changed it to a non-VGT turbo off the manifold.

The Banks pipe was too short, so I used the pusher one I had originally and used the Banks boots that come with the kit for the turbo outlet but had to cut 1 in off the big end to get it to fit.

I used the pusher boot on the pipe to the intercooler on the intake horn side.

Yeah, it was fun, I hope it's worth the Hassel of all this work, but I'll update you tomorrow.

Definitely advise using a helper to stay on the top or bottom of the truck; it sucks going on the ground to back up on top.

Just saying.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

14. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Keep us filled in on updates as you drive on any gains, etc.

It is a nice-looking unit!

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You won't get cooler IATs but will probably get lower manifold air temps.

The IAT is what comes into the turbo.

Also, remember your temp will be lower at highway speed due to increased volume through the IC fins.

I have everything from Banks air intake to the manifold grid delete plate, less the intercooler.

I have noticed better numbers and performance throughout the whole RPM range.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I've driven the truck around, loaded and loaded with a tractor in the trailer.

I'm going to be completely honest I haven't noticed any seat of the pants difference.

As far as temps go never seen them before with the stock one.

I'm sure it's better for the two turbos anyway.

It's flowing more, but it's hard to tell the difference now.

Just peace of mind, I guess.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post