Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  188
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

I was driving my 2014 2500 one morning, no problems. Later that afternoon I got into it to leave and the truck was dead completely. I was able to jump it and drive it around for a little bit and then turn it off and back on with no problems.

Then this morning the truck was dead again, and I was able to jump it with no problem. I took it to the local auto store and they said both batteries and the alternator tested good. I'm not sure what to check at this point because I've never had a scenario where everything is good but I still need to get a jump to start.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Plug, a scan tool into the OB2 port

Check for any codes that haven't popped a CEL

Could be your starter is binding up

It may be time for a new one if the batteries and alternator check out good

@jgruberman

Last edited by Corkey; 08-24-2022 at 11:07 AM. Reason: tag member
    II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Plug, a scan tool into the OB2 port

Check for any codes that haven't popped a CEL

Could be your starter is binding up

It may be time for a new one if the batteries and alternator check out good

@jgruberman
    There are no codes that appear outside of voltage related errors. This is leading me to believe it's something power related? The guy at the auto parts store mentioned starter relay? I have no issues starting the truck and jumping ... It's just when it's standalone not connected to a jump box

6. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, if it's hooked to a jump box, and you still have the same relay intact, I could see where Hes leaning towards the relay

Did you buy one while you were there?

Seems like, after you took your truck to that shop, you're running into several issues now

Edit- you probably have, did you check for any blown fuses under the hood?

Curious if the shop that did work on the truck may have arced a battery or didn't disconnect them and arced a wire somewhere which blew a few fuses/relay

Your previous thread, you mentioned a tune up was done

Could you tell me what they performed

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Also, check the ground wires on both batteries as well assuring that the power and neg have no corrosion built up with a good crimp on the terminals

This also may be a related issue as to why it's a hit and miss on starting

When you say its "dead", the whole truck has no power? Lights, radio, dash or just not starting?

I'm trying to throw out all options for you

We will get through it bud

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    I was driving my 2014 2500 one morning, no problems. Later that afternoon I got into it to leave and the truck was dead completely. I was able to jump it and drive it around for a little bit and then turn it off and back on with no problems.

Then this morning the truck was dead again, and I was able to jump it with no problem. I took it to the local auto store and they said both batteries and the alternator tested good. I'm not sure what to check at this point because I've never had a scenario where everything is good but I still need to get a jump to start.

Any suggestions?

If your batteries are actually good and able to hold a charge the next step is check for a parasitic drain.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I just tried to start it and it did not crank. All of the lights and everything came on but my onboard air compressor when I tried to turn it on seemed as though it was struggling so it was some sort of current issue.

The current codes are P0501, P2509, U1412.

Also just now after cleaning off all of the battery posts and terminals, I smelled a strong smell of rotten eggs on the passenger side. It seems like it was coming from that battery

14. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Sounds like an internal short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    I just tried to start it and it did not crank. All of the lights and everything came on but my onboard air compressor when I tried to turn it on seemed as though it was struggling so it was some sort of current issue.

The current codes are P0501, P2509, U1412.

Also just now after cleaning off all of the battery posts and terminals, I smelled a strong smell of rotten eggs on the passenger side. It seems like it was coming from that battery

That battery is not holding the charge, you need to replace both batteries. What you are smelling is Hydrogen Sulfide. Excersise caution around that battery do not create any sparks.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

18. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    That battery is not holding the charge, you need to replace both batteries. What you are smelling is Hydrogen Sulfide. Excersise caution around that battery do not create any sparks.
    I brought the batteries to the interstate shop where I got them from originally, and he said that technically both batteries were testing as okay but not good. I replaced the sulfur smelling battery anyway at a prorated discount but since the other battery was not showing that it was bad, he was unable to replace it.

20. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast