Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  188
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    I brought the batteries to the interstate shop where I got them from originally, and he said that technically both batteries were testing as okay but not good. I replaced the sulfur smelling battery anyway at a prorated discount but since the other battery was not showing that it was bad, he was unable to replace it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    The batteries should be replaced together, how old is the driver’s side battery? Also check your alternator output voltage to make sure you are not over charging the batteries.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

So far, all I am still dealing with is the u1412 error code. I don't know if this is related to power issues or something else. I was reading somewhere something about trailer harness connections but I'm not sure if that would impact this at all

4. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Correct me if I'm wrong

The passenger battery is only for aux power and internal?

As the driver side is for the function of starting?

The fact the air compressor struggled due to the weaken battery, could the issue start at the ground for the compressor?

I know they can draw a bit of juice especially when wires get loose from vibration

Which could be the culprit for the dead battery and codes are generated because of the inadequate voltage being detected?

I as well have onboard air / train horn kit

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    The batteries should be replaced together, how old is the driver’s side battery? Also check your alternator output voltage to make sure you are not over charging the batteries.
    The driver side battery was replaced October 2020 so is technically still in warranty, which is why they were unable to replace it despite not having a strong reading.

The truck seemed to start okay this last time, and there were no power related error codes thrown on my drive back home. These two batteries were replaced a year apart based on the warranty sticker and the one that was just replaced today was 34 months old.

8. Likes AK Bob, Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

The driver side battery was replaced October 2020 so is technically still in warranty, which is why they were unable to replace it despite not having a strong reading.

The truck seemed to start okay this last time, and there were no power related error codes thrown on my drive back home. These two batteries were replaced a year apart based on the warranty sticker and the one that was just replaced today was 34 months old.

Again it’s always recommended to replace them in pairs; being the other battery is still relatively new you may get away with it.

Please keep us posted.

I have added a link to that exhaust manifold plug in your other post.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Re: Truck Won't Start - Batteries/Alternator Are Good

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong

The passenger battery is only for aux power and internal?

As the driver side is for the function of starting?

The fact the air compressor struggled due to the weaken battery, could the issue start at the ground for the compressor?

I know they can draw a bit of juice especially when wires get loose from vibration

Which could be the culprit for the dead battery and codes are generated because of the inadequate voltage being detected?

I as well have onboard air / train horn kit
    The batteries are connected in parallel.

Both batteries are used for everything.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Well, so far, no starting issues, just the remaining CEL codes that I can't shake.

Don't think they are related to the voltage, though.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Well, so far, no starting issues, just the remaining CEL codes that I can't shake.

Don't think they are related to the voltage, though.

Did you clear the previous codes? What codes are you still seeing? I will be home in about an hour and will look them up for you.

16. Thanks Corkey thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    Did you clear the previous codes? What codes are you still seeing? I will be home in about an hour and will look them up for you.
    U1412 and P0501. I have an ABS light on, a service electronic throttle system, service trailer brake system, and four-wheel drive temporarily unavailable message... Oh, and no working speedometer

18. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Since one of the messages was related to the trailer, I thought it would be worth mentioning that the other day I was towing using my seven blade plug and it was pouring rain outside.

20. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast