Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing Engine Brake Sounds In The Cab

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Hearing Engine Brake Sounds In The Cab

Lately, I have heard the hissing wind sound of my engine brake, which sounds like through the passenger side air vents.

I also slightly hear the engine ticking as I quickly accelerate; these sounds are relatively new to me from hearing inside the cab.

Are there any things that I could take a look at to possibly determine why I heard the sounds inside the truck all of a sudden?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Hearing Engine Brake Sounds In The Cab

Check the exhaust manifold for leaks or loose nuts.

Spray soapy water on the manifold and flange.

If air bubbles form, you have found the culprit.

Due to heat cycles, expansion, and contraction, over time, a stock manifold will start to crack and develop your symptoms.

Is it more noticeable at Temp or under a load rather than cold?

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
    Check the exhaust manifold for leaks or loose nuts.

Spray soapy water on the manifold and flange.

If air bubbles form, you have found the culprit.

Due to heat cycles, expansion, and contraction, over time, a stock manifold will start to crack and develop your symptoms.

Is it more noticeable at Temp or under a load rather than cold?
    It seems to be noticeable at any temp.

This morning the truck was colder than usual, and the idle ticking was louder, but when at high speeds, it's barely noticeable.

However, the engine brake sounds like a jet engine in the cab.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

To confirm another suggestion.

What RT setting are you on?

Whistle setting?

This will give you the "jet" sound at any time at idle.

Once enough speed is gained, the actuator works as usual on the turbo.

For the first suggestion, check for any signs of air leaks, each exhaust port hole where the two nuts are, and exhaust/turbo flange.

You could have a loose stud or bolt on the flange.

If you do, the expelled exhaust trying to make it through the exhaust is taking the path of least resistance, "the gasket," and is where the high pitch sound comes from.

The other could be from the micro-cracking on the manifold.

Generally, the hissing is commonly heard at higher temps at the manifold.

This is due to higher temps/expansion of metal, which causes the crack to be more pronounced.

It's common around the hot side of the motor for your symptoms.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

8. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgruberman View Post
    It seems to be noticeable at any temp.

This morning the truck was colder than usual, and the idle ticking was louder, but when at high speeds, it's barely noticeable.

However, the engine brake sounds like a jet engine in the cab.

Agree with @Corkey it sounds like you have an exhaust leak in the engine bay.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Also, I am leaning towards exhaust leak, and I say that because my truck seems to sound a bit more "metal gasket rattley" if that makes sense.

Do you know how you just KNOW what your truck sounds like?

Well, if I had a list of different sounds presented to me, it would sound like a metal rattling/whistling sound, even when just idling.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Also, I am leaning towards exhaust leak, and I say that because my truck seems to sound a bit more "metal gasket rattley" if that makes sense.

Do you know how you just KNOW what your truck sounds like?

Well, if I had a list of different sounds presented to me, it would sound like a metal rattling/whistling sound, even when just idling.
    It shouldn’t be too hard to track down.

If you don’t want to do the soapy water check with the engine running, just plug the exhaust air from a shop vac or compressor in the tailpipe, then check with soapy water.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard to track down.

If you don't want to do the soapy water, check with the engine running, plug the exhaust air from a shop vac or compressor in the tailpipe, then check with soapy water.
    You're right; it wasn't.

The other day my truck went into the Transmission Shop for some work and a tune-up.

Well, I'm not saying they did it, but after talking here, I discovered the flange holding the downpipe to the turbo was loosened and not tightened at all.

I spent a good few minutes tightening it down, and I'm confident it is fixed.

I haven't even tried the truck yet, but the entire pipe was loose, and that flange tightens right behind the passenger side.

16. Thanks AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You're right; it wasn't.

The other day my truck went into the Transmission Shop for some work and a tune-up.

Well, I'm not saying they did it, but after talking here, I discovered the flange holding the downpipe to the turbo was loosened and not tightened at all.

I spent a good few minutes tightening it down, and I'm confident it is fixed.

I haven't even tried the truck yet, but the entire pipe was loose, and that flange tightens right behind the passenger side.
    Good work, we are glad you found it.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Easy fix for your sake, friend!

Glad it worked out that way for you.

Thanks for the update.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast