Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  41

Thread: Power Steering Questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

Power Steering Questions

Hello there!

I am incredibly new to the diesel world, and this is my first Cummins. ( 2011 RAM 2500 Mega Cab ) I had a leaking power steering line, so I replaced it and did both lines while I was at it. (line to the gearbox and pump from the hydro boost)

I read and searched YouTube for the proper way to bleed the system once I was done. (two wrong parts later, LOL!)

So read jack the front end up, lock to lock 20 times, and pump the brakes five times before starting the truck.

After that, settle for 10-15 minutes to start the truck for a few seconds and recheck the fluid level.

Then start the truck and repeat lock to lock 20 times, pumping the brakes until the fluid level no longer drops.

Reinstall cap.

Hopefully, that’s right, but my problem is now the truck acts fine at idle and driving, but when you apply the brakes heavily, you lose power steering almost completely !

Get off the brakes, and it comes back right away.

I’m pretty lost and would love some input on how to fix it.

Thank you for any help/advice.

2. Thanks watersupply189, SyN, Corkey thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Power Steering Questions

It sounds like you still have air in the system.

I have attached the recommended procedure that I have for my 2014 system.

Not sure if the procedure is the same for your 2011.

As you can see, they recommend applying a vacuum to the system for a minimum of three minutes.

I hope this helps and others will verify this method applies to your year truck.

Attached Files Attached Files
    2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome, and glad to have you here.

I agree with AKBob about air possibly still in the system.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, timshooter40 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Good Advice & Info Posted above.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

7. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

So got the proper hand vacuum pump and adapter; following the pdf provided, she works as advertised now; thanks for the help, everyone!

9. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UglyGreen6.7 View Post
    So got the proper hand vacuum pump and adapter; following the pdf provided, she works as advertised now; thanks for the help, everyone!
    Thanks for the update pleased to hear the procedure worked for you.

I have the Mityvac MV8500 kit and the MVA660 Universal Power Steering Adapter.

Convenient tool.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

The easiest way to get air our the system is to jack up the tires, so they are not on the ground.

With the truck, lockout about 10-20 times, then idle the car and do the same.

This is the easiest way to get most of the air out. I also have an attachment for my compressor so I can cause a small vacuum and get all the air out that way, but I only do that when the above method doesn't work perfectly.

Willie "Felt Wedge" P - '07 Mega 2500 4x4 48RE, Full Thuren 6" w/ Alien Arms | Synergy HD | EFILive | Mishimoto Inter, Trans, & Radiator | 4.88 |

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBlood View Post
    The easiest way to get air our the system is to jack up the tires, so they are not on the ground.

With the truck, lockout about 10-20 times, then idle the car and do the same.

This is the easiest way to get most of the air out. I also have an attachment for my compressor so I can cause a small vacuum and get all the air out that way, but I only do that when the above method doesn't work perfectly.
    Unfortunately, the lock-to-lock method did not remove all the air (see OP#1).

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I put new hoses on mine a couple of months back, not knowing anything about needing to bleed the system.

I got lucky with the bleeding! With the fuel price, it did sit for a couple of weeks before I drove it.

Damn, the kit (Napa) didn't have the self-tapping bolts for the damper weight, though.

It made a lot more noise until I got bolts and installed it!

17. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post