Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: MM3 Error 14000?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

MM3 Error 14000?

April 2022, my truck was near a tree that was struck by lightning, and it took out all kinds of electronics in the truck.

It was literally a BRICK.

After 3 months and 5 modules replaced at the dealer, I brought the truck home just a few days ago.

1. After I got home, the MM3 would not power up (I gave the green and red flashing lights).

Updated the firmware on the SD, hooked up a battery charger, retried, and turned it on.

2. Once on, it told me I had no free VIN licenses (which makes sense, the PCM was replaced).

I got in touch with MM3 and purchased a new VIN license.

3. I hooked it back to the truck, and the unlock code was installed successfully, just like the instructions said.

4. Connected battery charger, started to flash the tune, and received 14000 error.

5. I contacted Ray (DRD) and MM3 (both very helpful as always btw), and both have stated they usually only see that when the tuner cannot connect to the ECM. (via unlocking cable that connects under the hood).

6. Removed the cable, ohm checked the wires and made sure connections were tight to plug under the hood and on the black module (MM3 box under the dash).

No matter what, it will not communicate with the ECM.

It gives the code just as it starts the flash before getting 1% on the progress bar on step 1/1.

I am currently speaking with MM3 and hoping to purchase a new black box (com module) and a new unlock cable.

Fingers are crossed.

If anyone knows any tricks for this issue, let me know.

I have been without my truck for months and need to drive it soon.

It is COMPLETELY deleted with 2nd Gen Swap S467.7 turbo and all, so driving without tunes is not an option.

2016 SBCC 4wd 2500 | 2nd Gen swap S467.7 whistle thingy | Redhorse Built 68RFE

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 Error 14000?

Is it possible that replacement ecm is somehow locked down like the 22s?

Just a question on my part as I am no electronics expert, but I did go camping over the weekend.

Please keep us updated.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

UPDATE: A mechanic friend of mine had an old MM3 module lying around the shop.

I figured I would give it a shot before spending $500 on a replacement from MM3, which is not solving the issue. I plugged it up, and it gave me the "no free VIN licenses" message when trying to flash.

So I opened my single-piece style module up and noticed there were still the two separate boards inside and connected the rear board from my module (apparently, this is what gets married to the vehicle with the VIN license) to the "COMM" board of his older two-piece style module and tried again.

It worked!

The tune was pushed successfully, and as far as I can tell, my SOTF is also working.

The moral of the story is lightning can mess things up, and if five other modules in the truck were bad and your tuner was plugged in when the vehicle was struck, it likely took that out as well.

The next order of business will be to find out why my EGTs are reading in the 900 f range at idle.

I wonder if that module part was also affected or if the EGT sensor probe or wiring is flawed.

2016 SBCC 4wd 2500 | 2nd Gen swap S467.7 whistle thingy | Redhorse Built 68RFE

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

MM3 Error 14000?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlile83 View Post
    UPDATE: A mechanic friend of mine had an old MM3 module lying around the shop.

I figured I would give it a shot before spending $500 on a replacement from MM3, which is not solving the issue. I plugged it up, and it gave me the "no free VIN licenses" message when trying to flash.

So I opened my single-piece style module up and noticed there were still the two separate boards inside and connected the rear board from my module (apparently, this is what gets married to the vehicle with the VIN license) to the "COMM" board of his older two-piece style module and tried again.

It worked!

The tune was pushed successfully, and as far as I can tell, my SOTF is also working.

The moral of the story is lightning can mess things up, and if five other modules in the truck were bad and your tuner was plugged in when the vehicle was struck, it likely took that out as well.

The next order of business will be to find out why my EGTs are reading in the 900 f range at idle.

I wonder if that module part was also affected or if the EGT sensor probe or wiring is flawed.
    Glad you were able to get your tunes loaded; very creative solution.

You can measure the EGT sensor voltage at the terminal block (disconnected) just before it enters the MM3 Module. With the attached chart for “K” type thermocouples, you can verify the probe and wiring.

At 900 *F, you would be seeing 19.8 mV AC.

Type K Thermocouple Degree Fahrenheit.pdf

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Bill Nye, the science guy.

AK Bob for Governor!

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

10. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corkey View Post
    Bill Nye, the science guy.

AK Bob for Governor!
    LOL

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post