Likes Likes:  91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans Time

1. Top Of Page | #11
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Trans Time

Quote Originally Posted by Nukldragger View Post
    No, Dave’s not building any transmissions now, just parts. His guy recommended MTS.

Gonna talk to Red Horse on Tuesday, their Warhorse 750 looks like it might be a good option. Heard some good things about Dallas Penn. I’ll see what they say about converters, I’ll probably end up running a Goerend or maybe a Revmax triple.

I bet Dave sells converters to Mts. Honestly I’d look else were just by looking at their website it seems like another ats. Over priced and basic builds with subpar clutch packs that none of the top builders use.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Redhorse. Dallas likes suncoast converters. His family used to own suncoast by the way. He uses mostly revmax internals though.

Really can’t go wrong with suncoast revmax or gorend converters.

Dallas Facebook shows former owner at redhorse and he’s been Mia on the transmission forums lately. Don’t know what that’s all about.

Another good builder I would recommend is drt transmissions. He’s teamed up and building out of dnj components now. They are the ones who made the original billet channel plate for 68RFEs.

2. Thanks Nukldragger thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, Nukldragger, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    I bet Dave sells converters to Mts. Honestly I’d look else were just by looking at their website it seems like another ats. Over priced and basic builds with subpar clutch packs that none of the top builders use.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Redhorse. Dallas likes suncoast converters. His family used to own suncoast by the way. He uses mostly revmax internals though.

Really can’t go wrong with suncoast revmax or gorend converters.

Dallas Facebook shows former owner at redhorse and he’s been Mia on the transmission forums lately. Don’t know what that’s all about.

Another good builder I would recommend is drt transmissions. He’s teamed up and building out of dnj components now. They are the ones who made the original billet channel plate for 68RFEs.
    I’ll check out DRT, thanks for that.

Never been much of a bandwagon guy…back in the day the trans wars were all DTT vs ATS and I went with Goerend just to be different. My 47RE ran like a Swiss watch and Dave stood behind his product. I had to chase him for 3 months to get a call tag to send him back his SnapOn snap ring pliers, slide hammers and my broken ****. Even the core was a handshake deal. Couldn’t get that out of Bill Kondolay or Clint….. I don’t think DTT is even around anymore.

Ahh….the good ol’ 12v days…..

2007.5 Mega on 37’s, stock 68RFE, 4.10 gears Thuren/DT Profab stuff DRD Tuned

2021 Charger Scatty, AAD Suspension, BC Digressive Coilovers, E85 Flex Tune

4. Likes watersupply189, Chrisn162001, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Jeez haven’t heard DTT’s name in a long time LOL.

I don’t miss those days. Early Cummins performance days were interesting.

I personally like the smaller guys who use the bigger guys parts.

They still have the attention to detail and quality control that the bigger guys lost when they grew.

I’ve rebuilt plenty of the “bandwagon” builders transmissions over the years sometimes I can’t believe what I find. I guess that’s inevitable when you go from building yourself to having employees building your transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes AK Bob, Nukldragger, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Jeez haven’t heard DTT’s name in a long time LOL.

I don’t miss those days. Early Cummins performance days were interesting.

I personally like the smaller guys who use the bigger guys parts.

They still have the attention to detail and quality control that the bigger guys lost when they grew.

I’ve rebuilt plenty of the “bandwagon” builders transmissions over the years sometimes I can’t believe what I find. I guess that’s inevitable when you go from building yourself to having employees building your transmissions.

Bill Kondolay telling everybody triple disc converters were bad…..#4 plates and Bosch 370’s…community killer dowel pin jigs…Scotty air and a 4” hole saw…550 was BIG hp.

Good times

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Bill Kondolay telling everybody triple disc converters were bad…..#4 plates and Bosch 370’s…community killer dowel pin jigs…Scotty air and a 4” hole saw…550 was BIG hp.

Good times
    Hey I had a Scotty air intake LOL.

Also machined h2 hummer wheels when they became a thing.

Couldn’t afford plates or injectors for that matter at the time. I just removed the fuel plate and timed the pump to 17 degrees.

Now I wish I had an egt gauge on that truck. I can only imagine how hot that truck ran LOL.

I wish I could remember my TDR login. I remember the thread for the dowl pin jig.

10. Likes watersupply189, Corkey, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Hey I had a Scotty air intake LOL.

Also machined h2 hummer wheels when they became a thing.

Couldn’t afford plates or injectors for that matter at the time. I just removed the fuel plate and timed the pump to 17 degrees.

Now I wish I had an egt gauge on that truck. I can only imagine how hot that truck ran LOL.

I wish I could remember my TDR login. I remember the thread for the dowl pin jig.

I moved my plate….did a couple turns in on the governor springs…. Wasn’t there something shady we did with AFC springs too? Can’t remember. I do remember doing the same stuff to the B5.9 in our rescue squad and the C8.3 in our Engine.

I wish I could remember my login for DTR…used to be pretty active on the suspension threads when Thuren had to move his bender outside to bend a track bar and Sage Carli was working out of a 2k sqft shop in Orange.

Met a guy out here that was getting 464hp out of a 12v and he was pushing the edge….good times. My 12v did 425/1050 and killed mosquitoes for 1/2 mile in every direction. Drove it with one eye on my SPA digital EGT because it hit 1300 in about 8 seconds ??

12. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I moved my plate….did a couple turns in on the governor springs…. Wasn’t there something shady we did with AFC springs too? Can’t remember. I do remember doing the same stuff to the B5.9 in our rescue squad and the C8.3 in our Engine.

I wish I could remember my login for DTR…used to be pretty active on the suspension threads when Thuren had to move his bender outside to bend a track bar and Sage Carli was working out of a 2k sqft shop in Orange.

Met a guy out here that was getting 464hp out of a 12v and he was pushing the edge….good times. My 12v did 425/1050 and killed mosquitoes for 1/2 mile in every direction. Drove it with one eye on my SPA digital EGT because it hit 1300 in about 8 seconds ??
    I used to grind the afc foot plate barrel for more travel.

Would also replace the diaphragm washer with a flat one and adjust the star wheel and smoke screw.

Nice I doubt I ever got above 400hp, towards the end of my 12 valve days I had an HX40 (surged and barked like hell) modded 215 P-Pump with either 7x12 or 5x10 I can’t remember.

Sure felt fast back then.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I am pulling the trigger with DRT.

Huge thanks to Chrisn162001 for the advice

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So trans is ordered DRT Stage 2 with a Goerend triple disc converter.

Have to say I enjoyed talking to Doryn.

He had the correct answers about the build components he uses, why, what he doesn’t use, and why.

He was very complimentary of some of his suppliers and competitors (said good things about Jacob Benton and Dallas Penn) and honestly critical of others.

It reminds me a lot of Dave Goerend back when he was still building trannies and dealing directly with his customers.

Another shout out to Chrisn162001 for tuning me up on the right questions to ask.

You are much appreciated.

I’m not sure I wanna bother with hot flushing the cooler and lines, might just replace with new stuff instead.

Any suggestions?

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

He had the correct answers about the build components he uses, why, what he doesn’t use, and why.

He was very complimentary of some of his suppliers and competitors (said good things about Jacob Benton and Dallas Penn) and honestly critical of others.

It reminds me a lot of Dave Goerend back when he was still building trannies and dealing directly with his customers.

Another shout out to Chrisn162001 for tuning me up on the right questions to ask.

You are much appreciated.

I’m not sure I wanna bother with hot flushing the cooler and lines, might just replace with new stuff instead.

Any suggestions?
    I talked to him too and I went with Jacob Benton just because he was a little smaller in the business I like giving people a chance. But it was a hard choice between the two.

I really liked doryn though.

You made a good choice.

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast