Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grid Heater Delete Plate

1. Top Of Page | #1

Grid Heater Delete Plate

Just curious how many of you have done the grid heater delete? I keep on hearing about the dreaded grid heater bolt failure and was curious on how big of a problem it really is or if it's more of a marketing ploy not that it doesnt happen. Anyway any input would be appreciated as I am on the fence with this mod and the thought of a little bolt grenading my motor keeps me up at night

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Grid Heater Delete Plate

Quote Originally Posted by rsl0311usmc View Post
    Just curious how many of you have done the grid heater delete? I keep on hearing about the dreaded grid heater bolt failure and was curious on how big of a problem it really is or if it's more of a marketing ploy not that it doesnt happen. Anyway any input would be appreciated as I am on the fence with this mod and the thought of a little bolt grenading my motor keeps me up at night
    I always check my bolt at every oil change. It’s still solid and doesn’t wiggle. Now if it wiggles, I would address the issue asap.
    You sure you want to do a grid heater delete way up on top of that mountain?
    Winters are brutal up there. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, AK Bob, Corkey liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I always check my bolt at every oil change. It’s still solid and doesn’t wiggle. Now if it wiggles, I would address the issue asap.
    You sure you want to do a grid heater delete way up on top of that mountain?
    Winters are brutal up there. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4
    You do the jiggle test on it like me then LOL. Yeah it has hit 0 up here on this mountain before. The one that I did see that still keeps the heater in tact is the banks elbow and it has the heater part on top of the elbow I believe but it's a grand. Not saying the bolt coming loose doesn't happen but with anything there are always going to be a few and sometimes I feel the aftermarket community makes it sound like if you don't do it it's going to blow up LOL. The banks elbow does look awesome though

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

This thread has some good information on the Grid Heater. Best to keep an eye on it and do the wiggle test. See what I decided to do in post #16.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...eater-Troubles

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks rsl0311usmc, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes rsl0311usmc, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    This thread has some good information on the Grid Heater. Best to keep an eye on it and do the wiggle test. See what I decided to do in post #16.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...eater-Troubles
    Ok awesome I will check it out I appreciate it

10. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I was deleting the EGR stuff - so I bought the GDP Grid Heater delete plate in sole purpose to get rid of a potential failure point - When they took mine off it was solid at 25k miles but I guess you never know, for me it was worth to swap it out for piece of mind -

That being said, I also bought the GDP Mega Flo TVM - which is a throttle valve replacement and puts the grid heater in the spot as the throttle valve - It pulls exactly the same draw as factory grid heater and that way you can keep your 'aid' for cold starts in the mountains - I figured if I ever took trips to the mountains in winter, went up North or in the northern Midwest I'd want to have the grid heater function as it does now

Very happy with what I did in deleting the EGR junk in the engine, removing the Grid heater, and using the GDP Throttle valve heater - AK Bob basically did what I did he just didn't take his grid heater out yet physically but it no longer has current running through the bolt

For what its worth, I provided the parts to my shop so they weren't selling them, but he did say that more often than he likes to admit, he's had plenty of 6.7 Cummins with the bolt fall into the engine and need basically a full overhaul or a new engine at worst

12. Thanks rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    I was deleting the EGR stuff - so I bought the GDP Grid Heater delete plate in sole purpose to get rid of a potential failure point - When they took mine off it was solid at 25k miles but I guess you never know, for me it was worth to swap it out for piece of mind -

That being said, I also bought the GDP Mega Flo TVM - which is a throttle valve replacement and puts the grid heater in the spot as the throttle valve - It pulls exactly the same draw as factory grid heater and that way you can keep your 'aid' for cold starts in the mountains - I figured if I ever took trips to the mountains in winter, went up North or in the northern Midwest I'd want to have the grid heater function as it does now

Very happy with what I did in deleting the EGR junk in the engine, removing the Grid heater, and using the GDP Throttle valve heater - AK Bob basically did what I did he just didn't take his grid heater out yet physically but it no longer has current running through the bolt

For what its worth, I provided the parts to my shop so they weren't selling them, but he did say that more often than he likes to admit, he's had plenty of 6.7 Cummins with the bolt fall into the engine and need basically a full overhaul or a new engine at worst
    Wow yeah I am thinking of going all out at this point. I have been looking at the heater but I may get the plate also. I don't mind the stock intake elbow. Crazy how they let this go destroying these expensive motors. Do you have a picture of the power wire or wires connect to? I know obviously were the heater is and the solenoid by the intake. I am just a visual person and may be ordering this in the next few hours.

14. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I kept the stock intake horn - just running it blocked off - I can get a picture but basically its fairly easy all that happens is the power wire from the factory grid heater is removed and moved to bolt on the new GDP throttle valve heater -

Take a look at GDP website and give them a call if you want to chat, Ben was very helpful to me and said they originally designed the throttle valve heater specifically so you could keep the factory operation of the grid heater, but remove the risk of the factory part failing - he said their intake horn is a great upgrade but not 'necessary' per se

Just go on GDP website and look up the Air Boss grid delete and the Mega Flo TVM for pics but basically the TVM is a replacement for the throttle valve on the horn, bolts right up to the stock elbow or their S-2 elbow if you wanted to purchase that one -

16. Thanks rsl0311usmc, Corkey thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    I kept the stock intake horn - just running it blocked off - I can get a picture but basically its fairly easy all that happens is the power wire from the factory grid heater is removed and moved to bolt on the new GDP throttle valve heater -

Take a look at GDP website and give them a call if you want to chat, Ben was very helpful to me and said they originally designed the throttle valve heater specifically so you could keep the factory operation of the grid heater, but remove the risk of the factory part failing - he said their intake horn is a great upgrade but not 'necessary' per se

Just go on GDP website and look up the Air Boss grid delete and the Mega Flo TVM for pics but basically the TVM is a replacement for the throttle valve on the horn, bolts right up to the stock elbow or their S-2 elbow if you wanted to purchase that one -
    I appreciate all the help.

Yeah, I talked to them and ended up ordering the plate and grid heater, so my setup will be like yours with the stock intake horn.

I was initially going to do the heater, but I hate having that bolt on the truck, period, even with no power to it plus, it removes the restriction.

I think my tunes should be okay with it, considering it's the stock intake horn and not much more airflow?

They were awesome to talk to, and I can't wait to bust my knuckles on the fuel lines removing the plate.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the help.

Yeah, I talked to them and ended up ordering the plate and grid heater, so my setup will be like yours with the stock intake horn.

I was initially going to do the heater, but I hate having that bolt on the truck, period, even with no power to it plus, it removes the restriction.

I think my tunes should be okay with it, considering it's the stock intake horn and not much more airflow?

They were awesome to talk to, and I can't wait to bust my knuckles on the fuel lines removing the plate.
    I also have the GDP grid delete, GDP horn, and GDP relocated grid heater.

I think you'll like it.

You won't need different tunes; it'll drop in just fine.

Just be careful to keep your fuel lines and intake clean while they're open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rsl0311usmc thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast