Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Proper Tire PSI?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Proper Tire PSI?

Can someone lend me a hand with the proper formula for determining PSI based on load?

I have the weight ratings of my vehicle, the boat and trailer I tow, and the tires themselves.

I'm just not 100% on how to determine the PSI.

Not necessarily asking for someone to do it for me, but I've seen the tire load charts, and they're confusing.

GVWR: 10,000
    Payload: 1,890 (Payload = GVWR - Base Weight - Driver)
    Base Weight: 8,114
    Front: 4,994
    Rear: 3,120
    GAWR:
    Front: 6,000
    Rear: 6,500
    GVWR: 25,000
    Trailer + Equipment Max Weight: 16,720

Tires:
    35x12.50R20LT, Load Range F, 125Q
    Max Load: 3640lb @ 80 PSI

Boat Trailer:
    GVWR/PNBV: 5440 LB
    GAWR(each): 2720 LB
    Max Load: 4340 LB

Boat Package Weight:
    3520 LB

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Proper Tire PSI?

Following up on this, I have been trying different calculators and found online that none of them seem correct.

Also, I'm not sure which weights are the key ones to consider for determining proper tire inflation.

Again, I'm not necessarily looking for anyone to do the math for me but for someone to at least explain what the formula is, we'll start plugging in the correct values when I understand what it's looking for

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If you need to adjust for differences in the pressure or weight between the charts, you can do it using this formula: Tire weight/tire pressure = Load capacity pounds per psi You would start with the load and pressure closest to the original tire, adding or subtracting to find the proper adjusted pressure.

II 60HP STICKS, II 33% CP3, II S464 2ND GEN SWAP, FASS 165 TITANIUM SIGNATURE SERIES, AFE INTAKE HORN, S&B FILTER, 5" TURBO BACK, ALPHAREX HEAD LIGHTS, 38X13.5X20 RAZOR M/T, MOTO METAL RIMS, 6" LA LIFT KIT, COMPLET MM3 KIT, BUILT TRANSMISSION, 6 BOLT REDHEAD STEERING BOX

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corkey View Post
    If you need to adjust for differences in the pressure or weight between the charts, you can do it using this formula: Tire weight/tire pressure = Load capacity pounds per psi You would start with the load and pressure closest to the original tire, adding or subtracting to find the proper adjusted pressure.
    Sorry I missed this reply, my mistake. My problem is I'm not sure how to read the charts. I get the weight is per tire, but what is that weight encompassing? It might be easier than it seems but it seems pretty confusing for me... I still haven't been able to figure it out and it's eating away at me not being able to figure it out LOL

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post