Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Shudder Uphills Under Light Throttle?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Shudder Uphills Under Light Throttle?

I have a 2010 Dodge 2500 RAM Megacab 6.7L Cummins.

68RFE (just rebuilt 2k ago, HD torque converter, HD valve body, billet input, etc.)
    FASS 165
    Pusher intake horn
    Pusher grid heater
    Sinister cold air intake
    BD deep transmission oil pan
    RaceME Ultra settings = (150hp, 1900 rail, 29* timing, quick spool, aftermarket transmission) usually drive in Tune 4 (Performance) unless towing, but I don't tow a ton.

The truck had weight loss and tuned with RaceME Ultra in April 2021.

It ran great for 6 months or so and then developed this issue. (Also, around the time I installed the Pusher intake, grid heater, and BD deep pan)

Over the past 6 months, my truck has developed a shutter in 6th gear between 50-60mph under light acceleration, mainly up hills and sometimes when entering the freeway. Also only does it in higher tunes (3-5 RaceME Ultra).

So far, I've;

1) Had the rear driveline redone with a new carrier bearing, U-joins. Brand new front driveline.

2) Fuel rail sensor

3) Fuel pump regulator

4) Fuel rail relief valve

5) Fass 165 installed and fleece fuel filter removal.

1-5 we're done about 8k miles ago

6) Transmission fully rebuilt with HD torque converter/valve body/billet input shaft

6 done 2k miles ago

Also, when monitoring Trans pressure actual and Trans pressure desired, trans desired shoots up to 225 while actual usually peaks around 170-180ish.

At the same time, I notice the Torq Conv slip goes from around 0 RPMs to -50 RPMs

Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited by Craighalaas; 05-31-2022 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Addition info

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Shudder Uphills Under Light Throttle?

Does the trans have custom tuning?

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes Corkey, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Shudder Uphills Under Light Throttle?

Could it be torque converter lock-up shudder?

As a dealer tech, we see this often.

Without a doubt, the best solution is to pour in a product called Instant Shudder Fix made by Lube Gard and also sold under "Doctor Tranny" or something to that effect.

Amazon has it.

If you lightly apply your brake, just enough to turn on stop lamps, the system will turn off a lock-up, try this while maintaining the load on the throttle (maybe a little 2-step driving) and see if it stops.

This would help ID the source of the shudder.

But many newer programs for fly-by-wire may automatically back off on throttle with any brake input over 35MPH, so it may not work.

That was a new NHTSA rule for the last dozen years.

It is worth the $8; add it to your system.

This is a modifier to get rid of stickiness in the fluid but not holding ability.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Thanks Corkey, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post