Thanks Thanks:  44
Likes Likes:  103
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allison Swap

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Allison Swap

Suspense is killing us!

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

What did this all cost (without tuning)?

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I just went on the ATS website; full conversion kit after the core refund is just south of $13.6k - Plus install

Not cheap in the least, but curious about how the OP progresses.

Adding all the upgrades on a Revmax 550 is just about $10k, so it's a good 35% more, although the Stage 1 Allison is rated for 650hp per ATS.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

The first post says he ordered a level 5, and I’m assuming that means their stage 5 complete conversion, which their high zoot billet everything beauty suitable for 1100hp.

Should be hard to break! Also waiting to hear OP’s thoughts after driving it.

Suspense is killing me too.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Update 2
    So-after the install I had a little issue that the exhaust brake, cruise control, park assist, and push button start wouldn't work. I contacted ATS tech support and they mentioned the Translator in my kit that went out was part of the batch which had the wrong circuit board in it from the supplier for the 19 Rams. They programmed a new one and sent it out to me overnight. I installed it yesterday and all was well. Everything worked just like it was supposed to (park assist, TU/TD, exhaust brake, push button start, etc). On the way home I was simply amazed of how strong the exhaust brake was. I have reason to believe that the old transmission was slipping from the get go. Now on to the evaluation of towing with the Allison.. Although the truck had some issues with the improper translator I did get the go ahead from ATS to pull some materials with my gooseneck for my house I am building last Friday. To get the truck started I would turn the ignition switch to the on position and start it up by jumping the starter with an old school starter switch. My 1st outing last Friday (although I had zero exhaust brake) was very good! Unlike the '68, the Allison allowed the big torquey Cummins I6 get in a grunt and strut its stuff before downshifting while pulling a heavy load of lumber. It was really nice to not have the engine constantly shifting up and down. Unlike the 68-One thing to note with the Allison is when you are below the speed for the torque converter to be locked once the vehicle achieves the speed for the lock to occurs it will do so even though the accelerator pedal was not pushed. The 68 always required some type of acceleration to occur (even minimal) for the converter to lock/relock. Not the Allison! Trans temperature never exceeded 170* and the more I drove it the better the shifts got. I am super excited with my decision to purchase the ATS Allison swap kit and will keep you informed even further once more miles are put on the transmission.

10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skywrench View Post
    The first post says he ordered a level 5, and I’m assuming that means their stage 5 complete conversion, which their high zoot billet everything beauty suitable for 1100hp.

Should be hard to break! Also waiting to hear OP’s thoughts after driving it.

Suspense is killing me too.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73
    That is correct, I did order the complete kit from ATS with the transmission upgraded to stage 5. The stage 6 transmission is the highest/strongest they offer. The only difference between the stage 5 and 6 is the addition of the billet output shaft. Otherwise they are the same transmission internally. I also have a 2020 Ram w/ Aisin at work that I pull with alot. I believe I would prefer the Allison over the Aisin. Both transmissions are beefy (no doubt) but I like the quicker shifting and smoothness of the Allison and it seems to be way less clunky.

11. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I believe RevMax puts together a great transmission but it is still limited to the size of the internals. For me, it was very well worth the upgrade to the Allison due to the weight I haul and how I use the truck. ATS invested in the R&D and delivered a complete quality engineered kit! It is truly a complete kit not something you receive with only a few pieces and you hack and bend, look for bolts, cuss and find out it what you purchased was cobbled together half working junk. It is truly a complete kit-it comes with everything, including bolts! It is a breath of fresh air to see quality wrapped up in a true kit. I call a spade a spade and this one is really that good. It is not cheap and I understand that it is out of the reach for some people but I didn't want to be rebuilding transmissions every few years. I thought that the investment up front would hopefully save money in the long run. Where I haul and how I haul with the truck I need it to be dependable. Period! No excuses....

13. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

There’s a couple ways to
    go about swapping an Allison into a Cummins powered truck. This is by far the easiest, most streamlined, and requires the least amount of work, by is also realistically the most expensive for that reason.
    One can accomplish what is being accomplished here by finding freightliner with an Isb motor in it, stealing the bell housing, getting a truck transmission, as the 2000 that’s found in the larger trucks (that have air breaks) don’t have a park park park, and the yoke usually isn’t the correct size. Not to mention the damn thing will sound like a trash truck all said and done as it’s got strait cut gears.
    Sourcing a transmission from a Duramax, getting the bell housing on, and sourcing an adaptor if it’s an SAE 3, or getting lucky and finding one from a motor home, then dealing with the tcm wiring to make the truck think its an asin, can be done for about half the cost, and that’s including building the trans, sourcing a starter, ect. But the time spent in doing so? Probably about $6,000 if you put a dollar amount on the leg work you’d have to do. It’s cool that ATS offers an end all he all kit for those who can afford it, but if you can’t throw $15k at it, that’s pretty much what they’ve done for you in a simple nutshell.

15. Thanks watersupply189, AK Bob thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, CrazyTrain liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So how did things turn out?

Assuming you got it all working and you've been busy hauling.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Any updates on the Allison? I am looking at that and a RevMax. Really curious how you like it after more miles are put on it.

Did you have to do any driveline mods?

19. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, Corkey liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast