Likes Likes:  74
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM Mopar Factory Rustproofing

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: OEM Mopar Factory Rustproofing

Right.

Dust > rust.

I would much rather deal with something that wipes off verse having to grind and install patches.

2018 srw 3500

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I bought my truck new and was poking the underside and couldn't believe how little paint on many times, the steering box, driveshaft, axle joints, front and rear diff housing, and thin paint on the frame.

I got myself a case of Rustoleum flat black paint and went to town.

We don't salt; mine isn't used in winter, but it is still nice, clean, and rust-free.

NHOU, or New Hampshire Oil Undercoating, is a spray-on but a black slimy mess.

If you are in a salt belt, it works.

NH uses loads of salt.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    I bought my truck new and was poking the underside and couldn't believe how little paint on many times, the steering box, driveshaft, axle joints, front and rear diff housing, and thin paint on the frame.

I got myself a case of flat black paint and went to town.

We don't salt; mine isn't used in winter, but it is still nice, clean, and rust-free.

NHOU, or New Hampshire Oil Undercoating, is a spray-on but a black slimy mess.

If you are in a salt belt, it works.

NH uses loads of salt.
    Yeah, I don't blame you for painting underneath especially if you plan on keeping it for the long haul like myself; it's worth it.

There can't ever be too much protection from rust.

My truck originally was titled in an area of the Virginia mountains and even WV at one point, so obviously, there was salt, and maybe he just never drove the truck in the snow, or the Mopar rustproofing is just that good.

Regardless of whether it attracts dirt when needed, I will always treat my underside with Amsoil or fluid film for future winters.

When I lived on the PA line a few years ago, the pre-treat spray was the worst thing they ever put down.

That stuff is worse than salt, and right now, for my life, I can't remember the name of it, but it isn't very pleasant.

I used to see people drive right up on the sprayed were spraying, and I always thought, wow, you hate your vehicle, LOL.

Another instance is a friend who has a place here in NC and Ohio, and all their vehicles are rotting away with rust.

They bought a fully loaded 22 3500 drove it in one storm, and brought it down for me to look at underneath already had more surface rust than my 16, and I said you better treat that thing.

Funny the EPA hates diesels, but they will spray that crap all over the road.

I would much rather have them do nothing and let me have fun using my 4x4 and chains, all while not rusting my truck to s**t.

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

As a dealer tech in the same spot for 34 years, we are blessed with little rust.

I see the stuff come in from the midwest; I dont know how anyone could do any work without using a cutting torch, rust penetrant, broken bolts, drilling out, tapping, and its nuts.

I tell people if I had to work in the midwest shop, I'd just quit.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12