Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  148
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Stalls / Won’t Start?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Engine Stalls / Won’t Start?

@daytona701

How did you make out with the locksmith?

We’re you able to get the VIN written to the ECM?

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Did not go to the locksmith yet.

The truck is still on the lift with the front driver's side tire and inner fender well removed.

I went to the local Dodge/Chrysler dealer service department and inquired about a new ecm.

I was quoted $4000 for the part and about $250 for labor.

I talked to the actual technician that did the programming and was told the existing computer may be able to be reprogrammed.

The truck would have to be towed.

Usually, I do the towing with the broken truck.

I talked to another local repair shop with an excellent reputation and was told by the Wife who runs the front desk that they may or may not take on the job because dealing with diesel electronics is sometimes a losing cause.

I talked to a third shop listed as a dealer for a stand-alone controller for common rail diesels, and he said he could look at the truck.

I need to pull the batteries out, put them on a trickle charger, and go over the cables and grounds again.

The question is, what equipment is required to install the VIN and what software the computer needs to run the truck?

Also, a tutorial on what a 2007 Dodge 2500 auto PCM needs to be programmed and how it’s done.

4. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daytona701 View Post
    Did not go to the locksmith yet.

The truck is still on the lift with the front driver's side tire and inner fender well removed.

I went to the local Dodge/Chrysler dealer service department and inquired about a new ecm.

I was quoted $4000 for the part and about $250 for labor.

I talked to the actual technician that did the programming and was told the existing computer may be able to be reprogrammed.

The truck would have to be towed.

Usually, I do the towing with the broken truck.

I talked to another local repair shop with an excellent reputation and was told by the Wife who runs the front desk that they may or may not take on the job because dealing with diesel electronics is sometimes a losing cause.

I talked to a third shop listed as a dealer for a stand-alone controller for common rail diesels, and he said he could look at the truck.

I need to pull the batteries out, put them on a trickle charger, and go over the cables and grounds again.

The question is, what equipment is required to install the VIN and what software the computer needs to run the truck?

Also, a tutorial on what a 2007 Dodge 2500 auto PCM needs to be programmed and how it’s done.
    Thanks for the update.

I don’t know if I can answer your question entirely, but here are my thoughts.

To begin with, the ECM you sent out for repair should have been returned to you and programmed with your VIN written in.

The only item that may have needed programming should have been the keys.

If the only thing wrong with the ECM now is the VIN and keys, you would need a higher-end scan tool like an Autel with key programming capability.

If you need to program the ECM, you will need a paid subscription to WiTech2 to download the files and a J2534 tool like the Cardaq3 to write them to the ECM.

Regarding a tutorial on ECM programming specifically for your truck, I don’t know of one other than maybe YouTube videos.

The other problem is you will be spending a lot of money investing in equipment and subscriptions for one-time use.

I believe you are on the right track trying to find a professional with the equipment willing to do the work.

Hopefully, the ECM you have was repaired and programmed correctly, so you only need the VIN written and keys programmed.

Thanks again for the update; please keep us posted.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

That’s one thing I’m trying to understand.

How come they didn’t reprogram your VIN back in?

It was there when you gave it to them to work on.

I would contact them to do it right.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I contacted the guy who reprogrammed the PCM on eBay, asking how he programmed the unit and whether he tested all the circuits.

Instead of responding to my questions, he refunded all my money without more contact.

I’m still waiting for the first mechanic to let me know if he will look at the truck.

I may have to buy him and his crew lunch.

In my research, Flagship one keeps popping up as a source for a PCM.

It’s $1500 rebuilt versus $4000 new Mopar.

Because the truck ran well since I bought used with 50k on the odometer, I haven’t had to learn how the electronics work.

I’m getting a crash course now.

In this instance, learning how to use the specialized equipment may be worth it in the long run.

I’m a Mopar guy with a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and a 2012 Dodge 1500.

The Liberty electronics seem to be similar to the 2007 Cummins.

I appreciate the responses, as the information helps tremendously decide which way to go.

I will do more research and post the results.

Thanks again.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I contacted the guy who reprogrammed the PCM on eBay, asking how he programmed the unit and whether he tested all the circuits.

Instead of responding to my questions, he refunded all my money without more contact.

I’m still waiting for the first mechanic to let me know if he will look at the truck.

I may have to buy him and his crew lunch.

In my research, Flagship one keeps popping up as a source for a PCM.

It’s $1500 rebuilt versus $4000 new Mopar.

Because the truck ran well since I bought used with 50k on the odometer, I haven’t had to learn how the electronics work.

I’m getting a crash course now.

In this instance, learning how to use the specialized equipment may be worth it in the long run.

I’m a Mopar guy with a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD and a 2012 Dodge 1500.

The Liberty electronics seem to be similar to the 2007 Cummins.

I appreciate the responses, as the information helps tremendously decide which way to go.

I will do more research and post the results.

Thanks again.
    Well, at least the guy refunded your money.

I would be cautious using anyone on eBay.

Please keep us informed on which route you decide to take.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, Corkey, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I got lucky and bought a Dodge 3500 dually crew cab with 356k miles, 8’ bed, gooseneck, auto, and 2wd.

Came with a stack of receipts, including recent new injectors, transmission, injector pump, ring/pinion, brakes, and tires.

The previous owner was meticulous with maintenance.

The Interior is almost 10/10.

Reread post from this site and formulate a plan for this week.

The first will be to review wiring again, including positive battery cables.

Found where passenger side positive clamp started cracking from over-tightening.

Then load the truck on the trailer for a trip to the locksmith to get the key/skim connected and see if he can load VIN.

There to the mechanic if that is needed for further diagnostic.

14. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Trailered truck to a locksmith, and she could not read VIN and program skim.

Said ecm was not responding to the equipment.

Then to the mechanic, who was able to load VIN and start the truck to drive into the shop.

After a few minutes truck stopped because ecm puked program.

The truck was running rough.

Mechanic says needs ecm and recommends Flagship One.

The mechanic doesn’t want to do the work which was expected.

He explained that diesel electronics could be difficult and time-consuming to fix.

I will get ecm from Flagship One and report back.

16. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Trailered truck to a locksmith, and she could not read VIN and program skim.

Said ecm was not responding to the equipment.

Then to the mechanic, who was able to load VIN and start the truck to drive into the shop.

After a few minutes truck stopped because ecm puked program.

The truck was running rough.

Mechanic says needs ecm and recommends Flagship One.

The mechanic doesn’t want to do the work which was expected.

He explained that diesel electronics could be difficult and time-consuming to fix.

I will get ecm from Flagship One and report back.
    Encouraging news, pleased to hear you are making progress.

Be sure to talk to Flagship, tell them you want your VIN programmed in, and ask about their warranty and key programming.

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Corkey, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I have a 2007.5 6.7L Cummins was driving, the engine stalled, and the truck ran fine.

Red flashes on the dash and check engine light with no DTC with Harbor Freight scanner.

The crankshaft position sensor was damaged, so I replaced it.

Batteries are two years old at 12.68 volts, and the scanner says ECM sees 12.4 volts.

Key to start, nothing happens.

Plugged in Smarty Jr, which has been on truck for 10 years, gets communication errors 121, 122, and 116.

Smarty expert thinks the ECM is bad.

I am trying to figure out how to confirm whether ECM needs repair or replacement.

I don’t want to lose tune if possible. Can anyone on this site give advice?
    Red flashes?

Do you mean the lightening bolt?

This usually means a fly by wire throttle issue.

I bet that harbor tools scanner only reads "P" or powertrain codes, I bet you have body codes.

Maybe why nothing is showing up.

It cant see them.

Anyone working on these newer rigs needs a high quality powerful scan tool, not just a code reader.

Otherwise, you are going in blind.

Autel is a great unit.

I have the MX808 and just picked up the MS906 which is bi directional.

Expect to pay close to $500 for a decent one, good news, it will fit anything made for US markets from 96 onward.

Will read ABS, SRS etc.

This code is important, its going to direct you to the right area.

Start taking notes of what isnt working, then get the wiring diagram and see what they all have in common.

If you have a comm code, is everything not working come from a common/same network?

You have probably no less than3 or more networks.

The body ECU also known at the TIPM is your fuse block in the engine room.

When you find that network, the pair of wires will have the same color throughout that network.

MX808 https://www.autel.com/c/www/mk2/3223.jhtml

MS906 https://autel.com/c/www/mk3/3743.jhtml

I have both of these, the latter is close to $1400, but is bi directional.

The 808 will suit your need just fine.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

20. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast