Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Smarty Jr.?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Smarty Jr.?

I bought my 2007.5 used and installed Smarty Jr.

I put the tuner in the lower console and forgot about it for ten years until the engine stalled the other day.

The truck was running fine and did not indicate a problem.

The lightning flash did appear on the dash when the engine stalled.

After getting home, I checked DTC with the Harbor Freight reader, and no DTC's present.

The batteries are two years old and have 12.68 volts—no sounds except a chime when the key is in the start position.

Some dash lights don’t light when the key is in the start position, and the computer sees 12.4 volts.

Decided to replace crankshaft position sensor.

The old crankshaft position sensor face had been grinded at an angle but couldn’t determine how it happened.

Around the teeth ring looked clear of anything that could’ve caused the damage to the sensor.

Wires and connections look good throughout the engine bay.

I plugged in Smarty Jr. and got can communication errors 121,122, and 116.

I talked to a Smarty expert, and he believes ECM is the problem.

My questions are what if any other diagnostics need to be performed to confirm ECM, and can ECM be repaired without affecting the current flash?

Thanks, Bruce.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Smarty Jr.?

Those codes dont register with me. I'm looking for a P**** or a B**** or a C**** or even a U****.

A buddy of mine has an 02 RAM and we couldnt get codes via a reader, but we did retreive it by a chicken dance with his key and digital display.

Are you using a good scan tool with CAN capability.

I have CAN issues and mine was poor grounds.

There are multiple CAN systems, ie engien control high speedm low speed, then intenral high speed (IHS) and even some LIN networks.

For a CAN component to properly comminucate, it needs a battery power, good ground and of course, the twisted pair of wires.

Here is a good image of a good CAN network.

CAN H and CAN L should look like a reflection of each other.

You will need a 2 channel scope to see this.

You need to get codes, make notes of anything that isnt working.

Dash lights might just be "combo meter".

A wiring diagram is almost a must.

I have to chase a networking issue and found it after I got a subscription of Mitchell manual online.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Smarty Jr.?

The OP started a second thread on the same issue with great information and advice.

He has determined the ECU is bad and working on a second replacement.

See the link below for the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say.

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...2%80%99t-Start

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.