Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  22

Thread: 295/70R18, Stock Rim Or Aftermarket?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

295/70R18, Stock Rim Or Aftermarket?

Greetings,

While I am likely not going to find someone that can tell me the difference in performance between a stock 18x8 wheel and an aftermarket 18x9 wheel on this tire size, I am trying to decide if I SHOULD go with an 18x9 wheel since the recommended rim width for a 295/70 tire is 8.5.

I will be pushing the numerical limits of the truck, and a 1" difference in wheel width theoretically could make a difference in stability by keeping the ratio between tire and wheel width resulting in less sidewall movement.

Since the sidewalls are pretty tall for this combination, would that result in something tangible through increased stability while towing?

However, I cannot prove it other than a track day wheel and tire setup for my old 1LE Camaro.

I sized wheels slightly wider to reduce squirm and increase responsiveness (especially on the front), and I am trying to see if anyone on here can tell me your experiences and if I am overthinking it.

Ultimately money does have a part to play, but I can talk the wife into the wheels if I need to.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

You might be overthinking it a bit.

My 2018 ccsb with a carli 3 inch lift 37x13.5 wide on 17 inch 8.5 wide wheels tows my gooseneck trailer with 12k lbs of round hay bales every other week.

I also have a dually on stock setup which tows better obviously but I don’t hesitate to tow heavy with my 2500 at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I agree with @Chrisn162001 that the extra rim width is not necessary for that tire under normal operation.

I ran 305/70r17s on the stock 17x8 rims on my '12 for several years, and I thought the stability pulling the camper was fine.

As long as you have a properly rated tire for the weight you will carry, it will be fine.

I later moved to 35/12.50s on 20x9 aftermarket rims.

That move added a more stable feeling when towing (also created a firmer/harsher ride quality when unloaded), but that was more due to the shorter sidewall, not the slightly wider rim.

I hope this helps.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Get new wheels if you want the aesthetic.

Period.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: 295/70R18, Stock Rim Or Aftermarket?

I think you guys are right.

I am probably overthinking it.

Luckily the wife said no problem, so it looks like aesthetics over performance.

Now, if I could only decide on a rim:

Vision Nemesis (Gunmetal) +18
    Vision Manx 2 (Gunmetal) +12
    Raceline Outlander (Silver) +12
    KMC Mesa (Sliver) +18
    XD Hoss 2 (Dark tint) +18 (A Little heavy)

I have seen variations of a few on RAM 2500/3500, but not all.

Any thoughts from the community?

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post