Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: I Didn't Do The Proper 68RFE Trans Relearn

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I Didn't Do The Proper 68RFE Trans Relearn

After a year of driving, I realized I did not do a "proper" relearn when I first tuned my truck.

I came about the relearn process by accident.

I recently put on a 5-inch intake and pusher-style horn and noticed what I thought to be the transmission acting differently.

After thinking about it and driving it for a week or so, I've attributed it to the increase in sound the 5-inch made, which makes the gears holding and shifting more noticeable as they each produce unique tones under specific throttle.

After a year of driving, has the transmission settled down and figured out the values, etc., or would a reflash which would reset the CVI values and the whole TCM is worthwhile?

The initial day I tuned, it was not 30 miles of stop and went as it was mixed with interstate and above 30% throttle.

However, anytime I change SOTF tunes, I give it time to adjust?

I don't usually adjust the tune much at all.

I keep it on three daily, and I have Rays tunes/MM3.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

I would imagine it's OK after all this time unless you notice something funky.

Changing tunes with the Switch function shouldn't affect anything with your transmission tuning.

If you're concerned, re-flash and do the relearn.

Lowest tune, Exhaust brake off, <30% throttle up and down through all the gears over about 200 miles avoiding interstate cruising.

Country roads are your friend there.

Also, you are supposed to do it over a couple of days for the truck to heat cycle a couple of times and cool off overnight before giving it another go.

The official Revmax relearn process is posted all over this site if you search.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've read thru the Revmax process.

I was just curious about the possibility of missing out on some benefits of trans tuning since I didn't do it properly.

I've been thinking about installing one of their valve body when I service the transmission.

The dealer said they serviced trans as part of their recon when they took it in, and I remember seeing something like that on the shop paperwork when I bought it.

The fluid is reasonably clean, but until I do it, I'm not going to put 100% faith in its being done.

The truck has 98k anyway.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1 View Post
    I've read thru the Revmax process.

I was just curious about the possibility of missing out on some benefits of trans tuning since I didn't do it properly.

I've been thinking about installing one of their valve body when I service the transmission.

The dealer said they serviced trans as part of their recon when they took it in, and I remember seeing something like that on the shop paperwork when I bought it.

The fluid is reasonably clean, but until I do it, I'm not going to put 100% faith in its being done.

The truck has 98k anyway.

You'll have to get new tuning to take advantage of the new valve body and do a re-learn.

I'm not sure I'd bother with a valve body on a stock trans with almost 100k on it.

Personal opinion.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Re: I Didn't Do The Proper 68RFE Trans Relearn

FWIW I did a Revmax HD valve body at 83k and made it to 100k before the converter let go, and I had to overhaul it all.

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post