Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  24

Thread: 68RFE Opinions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE Opinions

Good late evening, everyone.

I am back after my transmission pan leaking issue, which, so far from what I can tell, is not a gasket problem but it is a pan problem.

Let me explain; upon removal of my Revmax deep-pan, I assumed that the rubber gasket had failed since I dropped the pan about three times and re-used the same gasket.

After close inspection, the aftermarket pan is not applying enough pressure on the gasket in the two rear corners of the pan.

There is a gap between the aftermarket pan and the transmission, even with a new "improved" OEM gasket for 2019 and up RAMs.

So the next solution I will be pursuing is a small bead of Permatex RTV just on the corners to seal the gap.

Hopefully, that'll work; I will keep you guys posted.

Another concern of mine, which is the main reason for this post, is when i replaced the gasket, I took pictures of the metal wear/debris in the transmission pan, and I wanted some opinions on whether this is normal wear or excessive. this is about 11k miles with what I would consider "light towing."

8500lb boat every other week, about 40 miles round trip, and I'd say 30 miles of it is highway.

Truck Specs:
    68RFE (91k currently) (deleted and tuned/ trans tuning with Double R diesel @ 80k miles
    Revmax trans cooling bypass
    Revmax deep pan
    Revmax zero flex all billet valve body
    Valvoline ATF+4 oil

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks watersupply189, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, SyN, timshooter40 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE Opinions

Someone with more knowledge should chime in, but I don't think I'd be concerned with the wear.

However, I would contact Revmax about the fitment and see what they'll do for you or suggest instead of trying to cobble together a gasket solution.

The pan should fit adequately around, and everyone raves about Revmax customer service.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

The material in the pan is nothing to worry about.

I’d check the pan for flatness and call Revmax if it’s not flat.

I use nothing but revmax pans on transmission builds and have never had an issue with not being flat or not sealing.

I’ve used 23 of them this year so far.

They are designed to use RTV, but I have been using the new factory gaskets since 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I might be the odd man out (as usual), but My routine thought with my 68RFE is --> (When towing Med/Heavy ONLY in Tow-Haul mode in 5th Gear no more than 65-70mph) - I pay very close attention to what MPH my trailer tires are rated for & never exceed that limit.

Drive her like a Civilized Human Being & Fresh Synthetic ATF are my best two allies. (Along with the smartest mod I have performed ---> The ATS Thermal By-Pass Delete Block!

My ATF temps have never risen past 185*F while towing during the summer months (average 12K lbs).

This means the ATF is never really stressed - so the Additive Package stays strong throughout the OCI - Higher (Stronger/Stouter) Wear Protection for a longer duration.

I agree with the above post - don't lose any sleep over the small number of wear particles within the pan.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the support, guys!

I'll keep truckin' on, and if anything changes the next time I drop the pan, I will let you guys know.

9. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post