Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  52

Thread: Worth The Price For A 5th Gen?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Worth The Price For A 5th Gen?

Hello all, we just sold our Class A Diesel Pusher, and I'm actively looking at RAM 3500 SRW with an Aisin.

The price is not much more, between the 4th Gens and 5ths.

Is it worth it to spend the difference on a 5th Gen?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Worth The Price For A 5th Gen?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post
    Hello all, we just sold our Class A Diesel Pusher, and I'm actively looking at RAM 3500 SRW with an Aisin.

With what I see in the tea leaves, if you could wait a bit, you could get a smoking deal when the house of cards comes crashing down.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MightyZ View Post

I will only focus on a 4th gen if a manual transmission and enhanced performance upgrades and tuning are a must-have.

Everything else being equal, I prefer the cosmetic and comfort upgrades of my 2019 over my previous 4th Gen.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MightyZ thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I side with Power247, and the 5th gens are that much better inside.

I had one for a rental, and it was sold to the wife and me.

It wasn’t even high optioned like my Laramie and had cloth seats.

It is not a question for a generation with me.

The two generations are very close in price in the used market.

RAM has figured out the emissions stuff if you don't mind stock performance, and the systems are much more reliable now.

I plan on getting a Laramie trim or above in a dually with an Aisin and 4.10 gears.

It won be as sporty as my truck in my signature, but it will pull my 5th wheel with ease.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, MightyZ, SyN thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response; as stated above, the 5th Gen was only a few thousand more than the 4th gen.

I'm getting the Aisin for sure!

I talked with my credit union lead loan officer, who said rates would jump soon.

I was able to secure a loan for a great rate.

So I jumped on the deal.

Hopefully, I will pick it up on Saturday!

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post

RAM has figured out the emissions stuff if you don't mind stock performance, and the systems are much more reliable now.

I plan on getting a Laramie trim or above in a dually with an Aisin and 4.10 gears.

It won be as sporty as my truck in my signature, but it will pull my 5th wheel with ease.
    How do you figure?

The emissions systems are precisely the same as and will take a dump on you between 70-100k miles.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Spot on with the thoughts on the dually, Aisin, 4:10 combo.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

12. Thanks MightyZ, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

My truck had 120,000 on it, and the emissions system was working perfectly, but I deleted the truck anyways.

It is also known that if you run shortstops and drive the trucks daily, the factory emissions do not work efficiently, and more problems arise.

The systems work much better if.

If you run them like an HD truck, pull loads, and put smiles on the.

There are 300,000 plus mile 4th gen trucks on factory emissions.

And sometimes you get a bad truck that wants to be difficult.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SyN thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

My truck had 120,000 on it, and the emissions system was working perfectly, but I deleted the truck anyways.

It is also known that if you run shortstops and drive the trucks daily, the factory emissions do not work efficiently, and more problems arise.

The systems work much better if.

If you run them like an HD truck, pull loads, and put smiles on the.

There are 300,000 plus mile 4th gen trucks on factory emissions.

And sometimes you get a bad truck that wants to be difficult.
    Oh, so you're one of those people that thinks you should only own a diesel if you pull a loader or dump trailer OTR daily.

Got it.

There are thousands of contractors that need their diesels to tow/haul/daily short distances and idle around jobsites regularly.

2017 2500 Laramie: DRD Juiced, 5" TBE, Invisible EGR mod, BD Iron Horn 364sxe/1.0AR, 20x10 Hostile Sprockets, 33x12.50 General Grabber A/T, HID Conversion, Reverse Level 2" Drop CSS Rear Coils

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I am just stating what my experience and observations have been.

I feel you were unnecessarily defensive in your reply.

I definitely understand that needs will vary and expectations are the systems should function the same regardless.

I am “not in one camp or the other.”

My apologies to the original poster.

I feel I derailed your conversation with the sidebar and I am pleased that you sourced a truck and that it was a good deal.

Please let us know the details of your buy!

18. Thanks SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post