Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: 6.7L Cummins / 68RFE Tuning Flare Shifts ~ WARP Software

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

6.7L Cummins / 68RFE Tuning Flare Shifts ~ WARP Software

Hello everyone,

I have researched and experimented enough that I am ready to bring some topics to the discussion table, and I will try and be to the point on these topics.

A little back story. Daily drove, pulled, spirited drove a 5.9CR/48RE for a couple of years with mild upgrades. After experiencing my 6.7L, I realized the truck performed superbly. Getting tired of the four-speed and slip of an unlocked converter through 3rd gear, I was ready to upgrade trucks to a higher load capacity and what I thought would be better shifting transmission.

My father owns a deleted 2010 6.7L 68RFE truck otherwise stock, and it has been a great truck for many miles and pulls well. Predictable, No flare/unlocked/sloppy shifts responsive.

So I bought a 2014 3500 Megacab single wheel 68RFE truck, all stock 100k miles. The day I get it home after purchasing from a Chrysler dealer, I get a check engine light for low line pressure and TCC slip.

The truck had the new firmware update from RAM because it unlocked the converter for shifts in 4-6.

After fighting the dealer for compensation on the lemon of transmission, I built what a Revmax 850 trans with a low stall converter is. $8k later, hoping that would also tighten the flare on unlocked shifts.

I purchased a RaceME tuner ($1100) with deletes from RaceME and deleted the truck ($1000). Noticed the gremlins of the box tunes right away. I reached out to RaceME for custom tuning ($350), and from what I know now, it seems to be the European side. We worked on shift patterns and locked up nature etc. I was somewhat pleased with the results, but after getting enough time in the driver's seat, you start noticing things you don’t like.

So I bought warp tuning software ($500) to work on transmission tuning myself. Had I found out about Ray sooner, I would have gone with him instead.

So I am at the point where I paid a pretty penny for this truck in the inflated truck marked and spent over $10,000 in making the truck what I feel should be: responsive, solid shifting, and capable.

I drive and pull a 17,000 fifth wheel daily two times out of the month.

With all of that back story, this post intends to work on getting the truck to perform how I believe it should work through warp tuning. I have a background in tuning gasoline applications—a mechanical engineer by trade. So I have been trying to learn and read as much as possible.

Upon my research, I found that when Chrysler released the firmware update that changed the shift pattern with the unlocked shifts,

RaceME and DRD as well incorporated the firmware into their tunes and updates. As far as I have found, I cannot go back to an earlier version? I can find complaints about the scenario all day long, but I don’t find solutions.

I wonder how well the DRD tunes tighten up this response? I understand this was incorporated to save rotational parts in the transmission by putting less harsh loads on them. But I can’t get on board with this poor shifting strategy after experiencing different transmissions characteristics like Allison’s or early 68s.

I believed a locking shift is harsh, but if the shift strategy had enough defueling and went into a short partial lock, that would eliminate the direct input of shock that is trying to be eliminated.

Open to hearing more on this.

When the truck shifts into 6th, the delay of unlock to lock is far too long and holds an excessive rise in rpm. The throttle response is also very poor and does not feel direct. Blips in the throttle provide no feedback as if I never hit the pedal. On my common rail on a high horsepower tune, you were driving on the first 15% of throttle. Very responsive and predictable. Can and will a 6.7 ever be this way?

I have worked in WARP tuning on shift patterns and time delays to close up the gaps I am experiencing and noticed acceptable changes.

My current issue is working with a file that I can work with on the transmission side and having the engine side where it needs to be.

At this point, I am not looking to make more power with the truck but work with a stock like a tune to work on the transmission side. Since I have to start with a stock file from scratch, I haven’t figured out all the parameters to make the tuning stable for deletes. I was hoping to get an image file from the tuner to work on my current tune, but no such luck.

So to get started in the tuning process:

1. What are all the parameters that require attention for deletes?
    - DTCs (i went through the list and disabled what I felt correlated)
    - disabled all EGR and DPF parameters (on/off)
    2. Do turbo/VGT tables need to be adjusted for Regen tables etc.?
    3. Anything else?

Once I get a stable stock tune with deletes, I will dig back into my trans side.

Thank you very much for reading that far if you made it this far.

Open to criticism, experience with these issues, etc.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, SKIBBEE4thGEN thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 6.7L Cummins / 68RFE Tuning Flare Shifts ~ WARP Software

Friend, DRD is an approved tuner for Rexmax, and they have specific parameters for their transmissions.

If it were us, I'd let DRD tune it, so you don't break the trans or mess something significant up.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes AK Bob, SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    Friend, DRD is an approved tuner for Rexmax, and they have specific parameters for their transmissions.

If it were us, I'd let DRD tune it, so you don't break the trans or mess something significant up.

God bless,
    igotacummins
    Thanks for the reply!

That is interesting!

I need to talk with Ray and inquire about the technicalities of the different parameters based on having a RevMax trans.

I realize he can’t give away too much information, but if there are things he does in the tune that no one else does, he is interested in pursuing that.

Especially if I could get an image file if I want to adjust shift points.

My concern is how different would the tune be from getting a custom tune from RaceME as I did?

I am hesitant to keep dishing out money as I have already fished out quite a bit and can’t believe that people accept this with these trucks.

Having the WARP software and experience tuning and understanding the risk puts me in a position where I feel I can work through this with enough time and information.

Last edited by IGOTACUMMINS; 04-18-2022 at 11:07 AM.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

RaceME is clueless on the Revmax trans as Revmax only releases the info to approved people they trust.

The issue is DRD will not be allowed to release that friend, and Revmax might be able to help you, but I doubt they would give that info out either.

Things are different nowadays in this industry as things are hidden for specific reasons.

God bless,
    igotacummins

"The grass is greener where you water it"

8. Likes AK Bob, SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

Joe Prather on Facebook was offering a class on transmission tuning.

No, delete information whatsoever from my understanding.

There was some good info on Cummins forum a while back on WARP basic starting point delete tuning.

The best thing you can do if you want to tune it yourself is data log, make changes and do it all over again.

MM3 sucks for data logging, though, IMO.

Did you build your trans yourself or buy one from Revmax.

Pump mods and clutch clearances make or break how these things shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    Joe Prather on Facebook was offering a class on transmission tuning.

No, delete information whatsoever from my understanding.

There was some good info on Cummins forum a while back on WARP basic starting point delete tuning.

The best thing you can do if you want to tune it yourself is data log, make changes and do it all over again.

MM3 sucks for data logging, though, IMO.

Did you build your trans yourself or buy one from Revmax.

Pump mods and clutch clearances make or break how these things shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve seen that post on the Cummins forum.

I was able to get it drivable with deletes but there was mention of some other things that had to be dealt with to keep the CEL from coming on.

I will look into the class and see if it’s an option.

I built it myself.

My build sheet isn’t technically a 850 but it’s not a 500 either.

I assembled it with all clear all clutch stack and assembly stack clearances in spec.

I attached a photo of the build sheet.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Likes SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    RaceME is clueless on the Revmax trans as Revmax only releases the info to approved people they trust.

The issue is DRD will not be allowed to release that friend, and Revmax might be able to help you, but I doubt they would give that info out either.

Things are different nowadays in this industry as things are hidden for specific reasons.

God bless,
    igotacummins
    Good to know about RaceME.

It definitely seems that way!

I understand and essentially if they give out any info or an image file is given from WARP, I realize tunes can be duplicated and distributed at that point.

Which is bad for both business and trucks depending on builds.

So I can understand the reasons for privacy.

Not my intentions of course.

I like hearing the differences that DRD has to offer vs. RaceMe!

Last edited by KAWIMAN34; 04-18-2022 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Typo

14. Likes SKIBBEE4thGEN liked this post