Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: BDS Long Arm Lift

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

BDS Long Arm Lift

I recently installed the BDS 6" long arm lift on my 2013 2500 after being tired of the truck's ride quality since I bought it.

It had some knockoff lift installed with Bilsteins.

I ordered the long arm lift and fox 2.0's, and I feel a dramatic improvement, but I feel like it should be a smoother ride.

Before I get jumped about how it's a solid axle 3/4 ton truck, it's not going to be a perfect ride, especially with my wheel/tire (35x13.50r24 amp m/t & 24x14 Arkon's) combo.

I'm curious if anyone has swapped thuren springs and track bar with the BDS kit and felt any improvement?

Or should I just be happy with the improvements I've made so far?

I feel like the money spent (and pita install) for this lift should have a better ride.

Anybody with thuren experience, please chime in; thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: BDS Long Arm Lift

It's 90% in your tire choice; I'll tell you that much.

Thuren springs are way too short and will not solve your problem alone.

You may be able to get some custom valved shocks to be paired with your current spring rate, which will improve the ride.

Unfortunately, the road you have chosen will not provide the ride quality of thuren/Carli. Again 90% is your tires, and it's the sacrifice you'll have to make to run that style setup.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You could probably swap the rear leafs to Thuren and retain a lift block and gain significant improvements.

Still not what you see all of us talk about but significant for sure

2014 Ram 3500 mega cab srw, full thuren 2.5 kit, 38" toyos, 4.56 gears, revmax 850 68RFE, grid heater delete w/ monster ram, steedspeed manifold, Ats aurora 6000 add a turbo(s465), ARP 625s, pushrods & springs, 5" tbe, sb filter, stock fuel

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by badbajawa View Post
    You could probably swap the rear leafs to Thuren and retain a lift block and gain significant improvements.

Still not what you see all of us talk about but significant for sure

Thank you for the advice, I figured with the wheel/tire combo it's the best I would get.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The Thuren trackbar will not help with the ride but stiffen up the steering and stability.

I replaced my stock track bar with about 35,000 miles on it with the Thuren, making a noticeable difference.

It is a worthwhile upgrade.

My 8" BDS Kit rides excellent, in my opinion, but I am rolling on a lot more rubber than you too.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS, Bromero liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    The Thuren trackbar will not help with the ride but stiffen up the steering and stability.

I replaced my stock track bar with about 35,000 miles on it with the Thuren, making a noticeable difference.

My 8" BDS Kit rides excellent, in my opinion, but I am rolling on a lot more rubber than you too.
    I'd be interested to know if your experience is different because of tires or because the springs are different from pre '14 to after.

You have a substantially different front coil and slightly different geometry.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post

I may purchase the track bar any way due to my steering getting sloppy, although I'm approaching 100k miles and have heard replacing the steering shaft may just take care of that.

Don't get me wrong, even with my wheel and tire setup, and this kit rides much better.

I previously had some knockoff kit with 35x12.50r22 and 22x12 hostile sprockets on the truck, and the truck rode TERRIBLE.

I guess at this point, and I'm just being picky because of the price of the long arm kit and how long it took me to install.

If you install this kit as I did in your driveway with a one-floor jack.

It's not a fun time.

Maybe I can afford a decent shop and a two-post lift one day.

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post