Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  31

Thread: Looking To Regear - Gears For Towing - 3.73 VS. 4.11?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Looking To Regear - Gears For Towing - 3.73 VS. 4.11?

I am possibly looking to regear my 2016 Ram 3500 SRW, stock 18" tire size, with 3.42 gears for towing heavy.

If anyone has been following along in my towing section thread, I am towing a 5th wheel that puts the total weight at the truck's GCVW stated capacity.

As such, my truck is now having a hard time getting the weight around.

I have already begun to enter into financial negotiations with my wife to support the cost of gear.

We have not come to terms yet, but it is trending favorably.

I can do the installation myself as I have plenty of installation experience and all the necessary specialized tools, so I am only out of the cost of gears and oil.

Ideally, I would leave the 3.42 gears in it and lockout 6th, but I don't spend all of my time towing at 65mph.

I spend time accelerating, slowing down, and speeding up due to stop lights, signs, and traffic.

I am stuck between 3.73 and 4.11 gears.

I am leaning towards 4.11 gears because that will be a more significant advantage and should enable 6th gear towing.

I know the "max tow" dually had 4.10 gears with smaller tires.

I suspect the Asin and 68RFE have similar overdrive ratios.

I am pretty sure I read the 68RFE has a gear advantage in the lower gears.

Any advice, experience, or input?

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Looking To Regear - Gears For Towing - 3.73 VS. 4.11?

Actually, the Aisin has the advantage in the lower gears.

Aisingearratios: First gear: 3.74 n Second gear: 2.00 Third gear: 1.34 n Fourth gear: 1.00 Fifth gear: 0.77 n Sixth gear: 0.63 68RFE: GearRatios: 1st 3.23:1 2nd 1.83:1 3rd 1.41:1 4th 1.00:1 5th 0.81:1 6th 0.62:1.

The Aisin is considerably quicker in 1st and 2nd gear, and by 4th gear, both transmissions are geared.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would go 4:10 if you tow a lot and for the exact reasons, you stated.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks @CrazyTrain.

Thanks for the trans information.

I see why the Aisin moves bigger loads easier.

Lower 1st and 2nd gears help there.

Perhaps with 4.11 gears and the better gear spread of the 68 (closer together), it could be an advantage to keep the engine in its powerband.

I think the 4.11 gears would ease the stress on the more vital drivetrain components like the transmission and engine.

As long as I stay within the truck and trailer numbers, I should be good.

I am not trying to tow more than I should, making towing at the max easier on the truck.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So I think I have settled on a course of action. I will go ahead and install 4.10 gears AND install 295/70/R18 Michelin LTX tires on factory rims.

So I will go up to about an inch in diameter, a shade wider, and drop tire weight.

The Michelins spec out at 56lbs per tire and my current Pathfinder tires weigh 58lbs per tire.

I also go up to 4,080 lbs per tire which buys me some wiggle room for capacity.

Again, I do not intend to exceed the truck's capacity, but these modifications will make it safer and easier to tow at the upper limits.

I will likely make these adjustments in late May or early June.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Please post back impressions.

Another option is 285/75/18.

A little narrower and taller with a 4K rating.

2018 srw 3500

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crshanta View Post
    Please post back impressions.

Another option is 285/75/18.

A little narrower and taller with a 4K rating.
    I thought about that tire size, but I can't get the Michelin in that size.

I am trying to stay away from AT tires, but it might shift depending on stuff.

I figured that by keeping the tire smaller in diameter, I got more out of the gear swap.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm checking in as I'm curious how you did with the 4.10 gears and the upsized tires to 295/70/18?

I have an appointment to go to 3.73 gears to get the mechanics back of 3.42's and stock tires.

It's a significant investment, but I'm not getting rid of the truck any time soon, and it's paid off with inflation.

Don't laugh but I don't have anything to tow; I know the mechanics of upsizing tires on 3.42's stresses the trans more, so I'm looking to 'bring it back to stock' rpm.

I also went with a 1" taller tire than stock (I'm on 285/65/20 now, from 285/60/20).

4.10's is overkill, but those would be my choice if I ran 37s or towed heavy like you.
    @Schoolbus

Last edited by AK Bob; 06-03-2022 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added @Schoolbus to notify of question.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    I'm checking in as I'm curious how you did with the 4.10 gears and the upsized tires to 295/70/18?

I have an appointment to go to 3.73 gears to get the mechanics back of 3.42s and stock tires.

It's a significant investment, but I'm not getting rid of the truck soon, and it's paid off with inflation.

Don't laugh, but I don't have anything to tow; I know the mechanics of upsizing tires on 3.42's stresses the trans more, so I'm looking to 'bring it back to stock' rpm.

I also went with a 1" taller tire than stock (I'm on 285/65/20 now, from 285/60/20).

4.10s is overkill, but those would be my choice if I ran 37s or towed heavy like you.
    @Schoolbus
    Geesh, I can't believe it has been so long since I logged in.

It seems like time has flown for me.

So, I did the 4.10 gears and Michelin 295/70/18s.

I have about 4,000 miles of pulling and nearly 1,000 miles of regular driving.

It has been starkly different in a lot of other areas.

Let's see:
    -Fuel Economy: has tanked in pretty much all situations. If I am unloaded and keep it under 75, I can eek about 18-19 out of it. That is a drop from 21 at 80mph in stock form. There was no real change when towing. Maybe a .5 mpg improvement at speed, but at those levels, environment, wind, road condition, and grade all play into it so negligible.

-Driving around town: This is a different feel too. It is much more peppy and punchy off the line and feels more powerful.

-Towing: there is no comparison here. I towed the same 5th wheel before and after the tires/gears mod. Not even close to the same pulling power I have now. The truck struggled to accelerate and maintain highway speed with the 3.42s and factory tire size. Now it accelerates confidently, maintains speed with ease even in 6th if I stay at 70, and pulls a grade like a champ. I kept 45mph up I70 through the Rockies (both ways), even on the steepest grades.

-Exhaust Brake: works better too. It is a little more confident going downhill, and if I am careful, I can drive around town and rarely hit the Brake until I am below 20 mph.

18. Thanks watersupply189, Aj Grubb, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post