Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: 2010 RAM 2500 - Strange Electrical Issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2010 RAM 2500 - Strange Electrical Issues

2010 RAM 2500, lost all my power options in both front doors, i.e., no locks, no pwr mirrors or windows, can control both back windows, and power locks work with a remote.

There was a time or two I would get a headlight to flash and wipers would operate (there is a feature in EVIC to turn headlights on whenever wipers are on bet this is related to that system) and on a few occasions, my cluster would die, nothing, but engine ran etc.

Codes alwasy came up gateway computer and no comms to drivers door module or pass module (usually not both at the same time) and also pass door no comms with drivers door. But when those codes showed up, I alwasy had a gateway module gode too.

The TIPM or power module under the engine room fuse block is also known as the engine room fuse block.

So bought the Mitchell wiring diagram and checked my CAN HI and CAN LO wiring for my network connections (all codes were COMMS issues) and was good with correct voltage.

So special ordered a new TIPM, backordered, was told maybe end of month.

The local dealer pulled some strings for another dealer tech hookup, and I got it today.

So the big question is, is my guessnosis correct.

Everything pointed to this, ie network good, no corrosion on any wires and always COMM closed with gateway unable to command door module unable to comm.

So after the core return, I will be in this about $650 snaps I'll report back.

Instructions tells me I am to plug in all connectors, then hook up power, then turn key on, but not start, system will initialize and communicate with all other modules and VIN etc along with production date etc and after its all done, I am to go in and clear codes (they say some will be stored) and that should do it.

So if not, I can't imagine I have bad door modules.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2010 RAM 2500 - Strange Electrical Issues

OK, I went to put a new module in; one connector had a keyway blocked with plastic; I didn't want to remove figured it's different for a reason.

My neighbor ran it to the dealer today, and the parts guy said it was a burr, removed it, and said it's the same as the original (I sent him with my actual unit, too) and said he removed the burr.

I said OK, I would install it, but if it doesnt work, I dont want to hear the "you plugged it in, no return on electrical, etc.," he said it would work, so that I will try it this evening.

I won't release my core until the new one is in and working perfectly.

Then I get a $150 core return credit. (genuine Mopar reman unit).

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

OK, update, this new module had two large nubs preventing me from plugging this one connector in.

So the part guy swears it is the same based on the part number; he said he would warranty it if it didnt work.

So I proceeded to knock those two nubs out; this was the larger brown coded connector; I plugged it in and went inside, cycled the key on, and waited.

Power locks worked then didn't, headlights came on for a while and went off. after several minutes of waiting, my power locks and doors didn't work; I figured I had misdiagnosed this.

But it appears not to have been done with all the "handshakes" with the other body modules and walla; all came to life and worked fine. I had to reset all my EVIC settings.

So this is a closed issue!

Bad TIPM/Gateway Module/Power Distribution Module/Engine Room Fuseblock (all the different names for this part).

If you guys get weird issues, TIPM is a known weak link, more so on the earlier units.

I have lots of goodies wired into my truck, emergency lighting and ham radio gear. But I didnt tap into any of the factory wiring. I ran a heavy red/black zip cord to a 4 terminal block under rear jump seat well, and did pick off the keyed acc port to operate a relay to give me my "keyed" power and everything I have added uses that circuit direct to battery. So no possibility of overloading my TIPM or wondering about my added features.

6. Thanks Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    OK, update, this new module had two large nubs preventing me from plugging this one connector in.

So the part guy swears it is the same based on the part number; he said he would warranty it if it didnt work.

So I proceeded to knock those two nubs out; this was the larger brown coded connector; I plugged it in and rest, went inside, cycled the key on, and waited.

Power locks worked then didn't; headlights came on for a while and went off. after several minutes of waiting, my power locks and doors didn't work; I figured I had misdiagnosed this.

But it appears not to have been done with all the "handshakes" with the other body modules and walla; all came to life and worked fine. I had to reset all my EVIC settings.

So this is a closed issue!

Bad TIPM/Gateway Module/Power Distribution Module/Engine Room Fuseblock (all the different names for this part).
    Thanks for circling back with the updates.

Glad to hear you are back on the road again

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, toyota_mdt_tech thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, AK Bob, toyota_mdt_tech liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

After the module, everything comes to life, and everything works.

Great for two days, and suddenly, power locks inop, few communication codes are showing up again, same stuff as before.

The problem is so intermittent that it's making it hard to pinpoint.

I may have to get a scope to watch the network.

I have been studying the wiring diagram (network) and which systems fail to see if I can narrow it down.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post