Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Tires For Towing: Looking For Input

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tires For Towing: Looking For Input

Hello All!

I am going to be in the market for some new tires for my truck (see signature) soon. The truck came with some off-brand AT tires that are cupping horribly on the same corner (always the tire on the pass front). I have managed to get about 35k out of them and they still have life, but every tire has the cupping issue (some worse than others) even with rotations about every 7-8k. I probably should have rotated them more often. I will be making a several-thousand mile trip soon with my new 5th wheel and I dont want to take any chances.

I am sure I have an alignment issue as well. I had an alignment shop put Thuren's recommendations on the truck and I think something is suspect about it. I also had the same shop put my Synergy steering on it and they didnt grease the tie-rods. I wound up driving it 5k miles before I figured that out.

I am staying with the factory tire size and the factory Laramie 18" wheels. I am also going to be towing heavy for a SRW truck and the towing competence and reliability is more important than looks or M/S/Ice performance. My trailer will weigh about 16,000lbs or better rolling down the road. I have done some reading and homework and have the following list built (in my current preferred order):

1. Cooper AT3 XLT (56 lbs ~$287 ea)
    2. Michelin LTX M/S (51lbs ~$280 ea)
    3. Falken A/T3W (59 lbs ~$370 ea)
    4. Toyo A/T III (53 lbs ~370 ea)

Price is a concern to a degree which is the reason that the more expensive tires at at the bottom. If they are that much better/reliable or will last that much longer I will consider them. My biggest concern is towing competence and reliability. Secondary is my truck's desire to eat the outer row (chop) of tread blocks on the pass front tire and wanting a good wearing tire. Third will be tire noise.

Is there any other tire I should be considering? Is there a strong consideration to move to a Falken or Toyo for $100 more a tire?

Thanks, Scott

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Hello All!

I am going to be in the market for some new tires for my truck (see signature) soon. The truck came with some off-brand AT tires that are cupping horribly on the same corner (always the tire on the pass front). I have managed to get about 35k out of them and they still have life, but every tire has the cupping issue (some worse than others) even with rotations about every 7-8k. I probably should have rotated them more often. I will be making a several-thousand mile trip soon with my new 5th wheel and I dont want to take any chances.

I am sure I have an alignment issue as well. I had an alignment shop put Thuren's recommendations on the truck and I think something is suspect about it. I also had the same shop put my Synergy steering on it and they didnt grease the tie-rods. I wound up driving it 5k miles before I figured that out.

I am staying with the factory tire size and the factory Laramie 18" wheels. I am also going to be towing heavy for a SRW truck and the towing competence and reliability is more important than looks or M/S/Ice performance. My trailer will weigh about 16,000lbs or better rolling down the road. I have done some reading and homework and have the following list built (in my current preferred order):

1. Cooper AT3 XLT (56 lbs ~$287 ea)
    2. Michelin LTX M/S (51lbs ~$280 ea)
    3. Falken A/T3W (59 lbs ~$370 ea)
    4. Toyo A/T III (53 lbs ~370 ea)

Price is a concern to a degree which is the reason that the more expensive tires at at the bottom. If they are that much better/reliable or will last that much longer I will consider them. My biggest concern is towing competence and reliability. Secondary is my truck's desire to eat the outer row (chop) of tread blocks on the pass front tire and wanting a good wearing tire. Third will be tire noise.

Is there any other tire I should be considering? Is there a strong consideration to move to a Falken or Toyo for $100 more a tire?

Thanks, Scott
    I have the Falken on my truck and haven’t had any issues. Excellent traction in snow.

I have about 45k miles on them now and they are half or little less in tread life left, no tire noise what so ever.

Every Michelin’s I’ve ever owned, the sidewalls dry rotted way before the tread life made it to half.

I wasn’t impressed with Toyo on wet surfaces or in snow.

Haven’t tried Cooper so can’t give you any insight on them.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, CC, 4x4

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks Schoolbus, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Schoolbus, Bud2723, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've had the Copper AT3 on my 06. Never had an issue with them and I believe they have a 50k warranty if that matters to you.

As far as your steering goes, what Thuren components did you have installed?

On my 06, my entire suspension was Thuren, even had his heavy duty steering. Upgrading to his heavy duty steering was the best thing I did for my 06.

The only thing that wasn't Thuren was my ball joints, I installed Carli ball joints.

I went through thousands of dollars in steering parts, tires, etc until I discovered Thuren and Carli.

I won't use any other vendor's when it comes to the steering or suspension on Ram trucks.

I currently have a 2018 and immediately got rid of the oem suspension and installed all Thuren and when my tierods go, I'll be doing his heavy duty steering.

Reach out to Joe @DDP for pricing on parts or to Don Thuren to see what works best for your application.

I hope this helps!!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bud2723 View Post
    I've had the Copper AT3 on my 06. Never had an issue with them and I believe they have a 50k warranty if that matters to you.

As far as your steering goes, what Thuren components did you have installed?

On my 06, my entire suspension was Thuren, even had his heavy duty steering. Upgrading to his heavy duty steering was the best thing I did for my 06. The only thing that wasn't Thuren was my ball joints, I installed Carli ball joints. I went through thousands of dollars in steering parts, tires, etc until I discovered Thuren and Carli. I won't use any other vendor's when it comes to the steering or suspension on Ram trucks.

I currently have a 2018 and immediately got rid of the oem suspension and installed all Thuren and when my tierods go, I'll be doing his heavy duty steering.

Reach out to Joe @DDP for pricing on parts or to Don Thuren to see what works best for your application.

I hope this helps!!

I am running the full-Thuren setup in my signature I have the Synergy steering and I have the bushing inserts for my steering column.

I have heard good things about the Cooper tires and 50k life is definitely a selling point.

These days every dollar spent receives scrutiny from my wife!

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sounds good!

I'm not too familiar with Synergy for our truck application, but I have a little experience with it for Jeeps pretty much same concept both solid front axles not to upset you or talk down about Synergy, but I removed the Synergy steering off my buddies jeep and went to heim-joints.

The same as I did for my 06..something about the ball and socket joint that just doesn't last very long on a solid front axle.

I've replaced too many on my 06 before I went to heim.

The last set only lasted 3 months and I never off roaded that truck, just drove it around the beltway, 120 mile round trip daily until I sold it.

I know I should have kept it..please don't remind me..LOL!!

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Michelins, hands down. But I too had to replace my original Michelins from fine checking in sidewalls, (as per watersupply) figured sun breaking it down. We will see on my new set I replaced last year.

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post