Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Running A CAT Fuel Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Anyone Running A CAT Fuel Filter?

OK, my truck is a 2010, so I do not have the spin on fuel filter back by the tank with the water seperator/alert, I have the canister one on the engine block with my water in fuel sensor. I change that filter every 10K (Mopar calls for 15K) and its pretty black when I change it. My buddy with his 2015 and the rear filter, his is much cleaner on the front canister.

I bought a complete kit to install this Cat filter (IR-0750) fuel filter, it requires cutting the metal fuel line (kit even came with its own small fuel line cutter) and it uses the compression ferrules set up, super simple install, this is just the fuel filter, not the dual water separator set up, I planned on leaving the engine mounted one to still handle this duty. The idea is not much debris will get past this filter. I want to mount it in such a spot if I ever add a larger fuel tank, it wont be in the way, even if I dont, I want to leave that option open.

Anyone else running this Cat filter, supposed to filter way down to 2 or 3 microns. The upside is this filter is better and much cheaper than the stock units. In fact, I can get a 3pak of the Donaldson equivalents for $42, that's less than one OE Mopar fuel filter. So there is many upsides. The kit is so simple, bolts on, probably a 30 minute job.

Would like others input.

I got it from Diesel Fuel Filter Kits

The kit I got was single stage.

I see they even offer a heater for it in real cold weather, its a blanket for the filter.

Idon't get that cold here.

fuelfilter2.jpg

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

2. Thanks SyN thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, CrazyTrain, SyN, TK666, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone Running A CAT Fuel Filter?

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    OK, my truck is a 2010, so I do not have the spin on fuel filter back by the tank with the water seperator/alert, I have the canister one on the engine block with my water in fuel sensor. I change that filter every 10K (Mopar calls for 15K) and its pretty black when I change it. My buddy with his 2015 and the rear filter, his is much cleaner on the front canister.

I bought a complete kit to install this Cat filter (IR-0750) fuel filter, it requires cutting the metal fuel line (kit even came with its own small fuel line cutter) and it uses the compression ferrules set up, super simple install, this is just the fuel filter, not the dual water separator set up, I planned on leaving the engine mounted one to still handle this duty. The idea is not much debris will get past this filter. I want to mount it in such a spot if I ever add a larger fuel tank, it wont be in the way, even if I dont, I want to leave that option open.

Anyone else running this Cat filter, supposed to filter way down to 2 or 3 microns. The upside is this filter is better and much cheaper than the stock units. In fact, I can get a 3pak of the Donaldson equivalents for $42, that's less than one OE Mopar fuel filter. So there is many upsides. The kit is so simple, bolts on, probably a 30 minute job.

Would like others input.

I got it from Diesel Fuel Filter Kits

The kit I got was single stage.

I see they even offer a heater for it in real cold weather, its a blanket for the filter.

Idon't get that cold here.

fuelfilter2.jpg
    I am running the same filter on my 2014 in addition to both front and rear stock filters. I also purchased my kit from http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/index.html. Very pleased with the kit and filter, one thing on my kit the filter head threads and the CAT filter threads were both aluminum. This can cause an issue with thread galling and binding. To eliminate this potential issue there are several options. Use a little anti-seize on the threads while being careful not to contaminate the fuel, switch to a filter with steel threads like the Fleet Guard FF5814 or replace the head with one that has steel threads. I replaced the head that came with my kit with one from Western Diesel.

F224BA22-FE7F-4D2E-852D-A5BC54FF585F.jpg

75AE7124-DC65-42AB-85D3-B1B895424D46.jpg

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

4. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes toyota_mdt_tech, SyN, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Bob, did you get just the insert or the entire filter mount? I see the inserts, what pitch am I looking for on the threads, ie 12, 14 or 16 per inch. I'll get it coming now.

68_zoom_1616180626.jpg

2010 Dodge 2500 SLT CCLB 4WD G56 Cummins 6.7 turbo diesel, 3.42 LSD. Add ons: Banks Monster Ram, Grid heater delete, Spyntec Free Spin Kit with Warn hubs (62672) Laramie Alloys (includes spare), "Powerwagon" Flares, Powerwagon bed decal (4X4 off road) OE Ram mudflaps, OE Slush Mats, OE Clearance Lamps, Geno's shift knob in black, 5" DPF back with muffler delete, spray in bedliner, OE brake controller, Durafit Seat Covers, Pro Tech Toolbox, Speed Turtle, Upfitter switches, Ham Radios, 8 Antennas, headache rack, emergency light bar,....

6. Thanks CrazyTrain thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    Bob, did you get just the insert or the entire filter mount? I see the inserts, what pitch am I looking for on the threads, ie 12, 14 or 16 per inch. I'll get it coming now.

68_zoom_1616180626.jpg
    You are looking for 1” Diameter 14 TPI. On the head that came with my filter kit the threads were machined from the head material so not removable. The only option would have been to cut the threads off and then drill and tap the head to accept the adapter. So I would recommend looking at your filter head to see what options you have first.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

8. Thanks toyota_mdt_tech, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I have the same (Well Kinda) kit as Bob - but I kept the Baldwin (Aluminum Base) which in my case - due to a galling issue with my first CAT filter - I switched to the Donaldson Blue DBF5814 - (Next Choice would be a Fleetguard FF5814 = can never find or Baldwin BF7633)
    CAT spin-on fuel filters are top of the line!
    Bob did (fixed) - (Perfected) his kit the right way!

Note: due to the newer (required) testing methods (Higher Standards) - 2 & 3 Micron @ 99% Absolute filters are very scarce - Fine Print on the Nice Box - can be very very misleading ---> Tested with the outdated testing methods!

Research shows - very little if None - Actual / Truthful / Honest / Published White Paper Data - showing with the new testing methods - there being these 2-3 micron @ 99% Absolute Filters

Most with these same filters - Tested again with the newer testing method are actually 4-5 micron @ 99% Absolute filters - which are still amazing - & - will serve your injectors well!

Edit: your reasoning is one of the main reasons why I installed this kit to begin with - not a fan boy of WAY Overpriced (Over Hyped) OEM filters! = JMHO!
    My spin-on is the work horse in my system.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Did you guys delete the factory front filter?

If not, how often do you replace it?

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post

I did not delete my factory front filter.

I replace all three fuel filters when the EVIC shows the filter's end of life.

Probably an overkill as I could change the front filter every other time.

However, I figure if l take the time to inspect it, I may as well replace it.

13. Thanks Schoolbus, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm always the Odd Ball - but It never has bit me yet (57yrs old)!

I change both the rear filters --> Spin-on (4-5 Micron) & Filter/Water Separator (15-20 Micron) every 10-15K miles.

Front filter is now more of a Polisher Filter (4-5 Micron) - so I chose to change every 20-25K miles. (Like I stated above) my spin-on filter is the work horse of the system.

I sometimes have to remind myself - A fuel or oil filter that has been in service for a period of time & collected more containments is now more efficient then the New Filter your about to replace it with.

Though the more containments that are collected - The Flow through the filter becomes more restricted as well (DP over the filter increases) - Thus this is where Synthetic

Media filters have a couple benefits over regular cellulose filter media.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

15. Thanks Schoolbus, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Appreciate the feedback.

The website above say to change it every 2-3 years which seems like an extended service interval.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, SyN, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post

You know they make a kit to replace the front cartridge filter on the engine with this cat unit, in fact, mount bolts in the same spot, lines hook right up.

I would only consider this if you have the OE installed filter/water separator unit in back, think those showed up in 2013 or 14ish.

The downside is its messier to replace, the diesel runs down the front differential.

As it is now, I extended vinyl hose on mine now, comes out in the front bumper to catch drained off fuel when I change my cartridge filter.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast