Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  74
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Running A CAT Fuel Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone Running A CAT Fuel Filter?

Quote Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech View Post
    You know they make a kit to replace the front cartridge filter on the engine with this cat unit, in fact, mount bolts in the same spot, lines hook right up. I would only consider this if you have the OE installed filter/water separator unit in back, think those showed up in 2013 or 14ish.

Downside is its messier to replace, the diesel runs down the front differential. As it is now, I extended vinyl hose on mine now, comes out in the front bumper to catch drained off fuel when I change my cartridge filter.
    That messy part is why the filter in the rear by the other OE filter is important to me.

Makes servicing much easier.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    That messy part is why the filter in the rear by the other OE filter is important to me.

Makes servicing much easier.
    Did you eliminate the one on the block or just stretch out the frequency on that one?

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bob View Post
    I am running the same filter on my 2014 in addition to both front and rear stock filters. I also purchased my kit from http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/index.html. Very pleased with the kit and filter, one thing on my kit the filter head threads and the CAT filter threads were both aluminum. This can cause an issue with thread galling and binding. To eliminate this potential issue there are several options. Use a little anti-seize on the threads while being careful not to contaminate the fuel, switch to a filter with steel threads like the Fleet Guard FF5814 or replace the head with one that has steel threads. I replaced the head that came with my kit with one from Western Diesel.

Attachment 14283

Attachment 14284
    Was the Western diesel head available separately or as a kit?

Looking at their website, I see universal kits and the front kits.

Looking to add to my 21.

2021 Ram 3500 DRW, H.O., bypass oil filtration, bypass coolant filtration, S&B CAI, 4:10’s
    2wd low loc kit.
    Reacquired 2001 3500, 5.9 nv4500, dually cab and chassis, 5” straight pipe, edge juice w/attitude. Otherwise all stock…..for now.

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Was the Western diesel head available separately or as a kit?

Looking at their website, I see universal kits and the front kits.

Looking to add to my 21.
    The heads are sold separately.

See the link below.

https://westerndieselaz.com/universa...-12-1-14-1-16/

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I have not purchased or installed the filter setup.

I was asking for the same reasons you were.

My Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, granite crystal metallic/tan interior, CCLB SRW 4x4, 68RFE, 6.7 Cummins, rear air, 5th wheel pkg. MODS: MM3 w/tunes, EGR delete, ITC grid heater delete, GDP airhorn, GDP heater, ARP 625 head studs, FloPro 5", REVMAX billet VB, Synergy steering, Thuren .5" lift/sway, Fox remote res shocks, Morimoto HIDs and LED fogs.
    My 5th Wheel: 2022 Grand Design 390 RK, 3 ACs, Gen Prep, too much storage ~16,000 rolling.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    I have not purchased or installed the filter setup.

I was asking for the same reasons you were.

2wd low loc kit.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

The heads are sold separately.

See the link below.

https://westerndieselaz.com/universa...-12-1-14-1-16/
    Perfect!

Thanks for spending more of “my” money Bob!
    Head is on its way….

Last edited by CrazyTrain; 04-06-2022 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Add info.
    2wd low loc kit.

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

I am running the same filter on my 2014 in addition to both front and rear stock filters. I also purchased my kit from http://www.dieselfuelfilterkits.com/index.html. Very pleased with the kit and filter, one thing on my kit the filter head threads and the CAT filter threads were both aluminum. This can cause an issue with thread galling and binding. To eliminate this potential issue there are several options. Use a little anti-seize on the threads while being careful not to contaminate the fuel, switch to a filter with steel threads like the Fleet Guard FF5814 or replace the head with one that has steel threads. I replaced the head that came with my kit with one from Western Diesel.

Attachment 14283

Attachment 14284
    That’s exactly what I intend to do on my 2018.

I’ve been back and forth on the black market performance kits and this one.

I liked this setup better, but the filter head and the thread galling were my only issue.

I had concluded to use the Western diesel head as well.

How long have you had this setup?

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chkustom View Post
    That’s exactly what I intend to do on my 2018.

I’ve been back and forth on the black market performance kits and this one.

I liked this setup better, but the filter head and the thread galling were my only issue.

I had concluded to use the Western diesel head as well.

How long have you had this setup?
    I installed mine on 6/12/2020, so almost two years.

No problems or issues.

I did install the optional insulated sleeve over the filter to prevent the possibility of fuel gelling during our Alaska winters.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I've been running BMP rear water separator CAT 175-2949 with the fuel heater plugs into the factory harness.

I am running a BMP front replacement filer setup with Cat filter 1R-0750; because these filters may cause a higher restriction in the flow of fuel, I am running the Fleece Power Lift Pump 22psi for 24K miles with no issues.

Excellent customer service from both of these retailers.

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast